Is traffic the worst part of Taiwan's lingering third worldism?

If returned to this car style perhaps drivers would be more careful?
car

1 Like

You’re assuming an instinct for self-preservation. I’ve seen little evidence of that.

6 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Man I can not stand the editing in these videos.

2 Likes

:laughing:
oh yes, they can raise fines, but then the police don’t see anything that what happens in front of their noses

11 Likes

yeah Taiwan has decent laws, they just dont enforce them.

4 Likes

From that article…
Currently, definitions of “dangerous driving” include zigzagging, exceeding the maximum speed limit by 60 kilometers per hour or more, tailgating, changing lanes without signaling, forcing other vehicles to give way inappropriately, suddenly breaking or stopping in a non-emergency situation, and removing mufflers. The MOTC has proposed adding making illegal U-turns, driving backwards, and driving against traffic on the freeway to the list of definitions.

Heck…on a 15 minute drive yesterday I saw 5 of these “dangerous driving” situations.

8 Likes

That list looks to me like another working day!

Guy

2 Likes

Two more deaths…

3 Likes

Drunk driver repeat offender, driver is rich as hell.

2 Likes

When I walk around here in Taipei city, I have to contain myself to not comment on every “dangerous driving” that people on the road (and walkways) perform every other step for everyone to see.

I’m afraid my walking companions might think I can only talk about roads and cars, but my European ass can’t pretend I don’t see all the constantly dangerous behaviours and flawed road designs in Taiwan’s traffic.

Help

7 Likes

For therapeutic purposes, it may help to speak these concerns aloud as you walk the city. This however may interfere with your ability to make or keep friends.

As an alternative, I would suggest you keep carefully observing the repertoire of dangerous moves made by drivers, and then figure out ways to keep yourself safe and away from these reckless fools. Beware blind corners, and watch out every time you’re passing through a spot with some possible strategic advantage for these reckless drivers. Take care and do keep posting as this will indicate to us that you have somehow managed, against all odds, to survive. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

6 Likes

Sadly, the only cure is to get the hell out of Taiwan. The traffic affliction is not going away any time soon.

2 Likes

Over 5 times the legal limit and allegedly also tried to flee the scene after hitting the road worker but was stopped by other workers who used their vehicles to block her car from leaving.

English article:

3 Likes

Terrible. It looks like those spoiled-looking young women (there were two of them in the car) are now in big trouble.

Guy

1 Like

To no surprise I’m not a fan of the current traffic safety in Taiwan, as is evident by my numerous posts/complaints (or maybe more fair to say whining) about the issue and admittedly it adds quite a bit of stress to my life here.

Honestly I’ve just completely given up hope and that leaves me with little to no expectations which helps me avoid thinking about it too much. Especially after the big traffic safety conference they had that was meant to be similar to the Covid-19 MoHW press briefings in which they stated Taiwan already has a culture of yielding to pedestrians and the 2021 stats that showed increase in drunk driving fatalities and similar total number of deaths despite Covid-19 outbreak which left a lot of people just staying at home most of the day or working from home or online classes…kind of expected it to be noticeably lower.

Now I just try to focus on appreciating the drivers that actually give me way as a pedestrian, properly wait for me to safely cross and give me the appropriate safe distance (3 meters by law in Taiwan if I’m remembering correctly) and appreciate the nice bus drivers who are patient with me getting on and off the bus and give a nice big thank you back to me after I say thanks for the ride.

9 Likes

I wonder how often one could argue they were too drunk to avoid the charge. I posted it somewhere earlier before (last year I think) but another drunk driver who was ~10 times over wasn’t hit with a drunk driving charge because they were too drunk, only ended up getting a few months if I’m remembering it correctly.

1 Like

Perhaps some old world marsupials were involved in the proceedings?

Watching the news today seems the drunk woman is now trying to avoid being in jail by saying she is pregnant.

1 Like

Good thing she was boozing up! :doh:

Guy

6 Likes