Is traffic the worst part of Taiwan's lingering third worldism?

More discrimination against people who chose to walk rather than drive everywhere.

1 Like

I worry for my future when I have kids and need to push a stroller.

3 Likes

2nd class citizen

I just saw a car plow into a bunch of parked cars and scooters. No idea how that happens.

1 Like

Inattentive

It’s the cars’ fault for parking where tht truck wanted to plow

2 Likes

Looks like the driver tried to make a left turn before they could collide with oncoming traffic.

Combination of poor driving skill, carelessness and poor road design. Driver likely focused on crossing and did not see pedestrians on their left. Whoever made the rule, or allowed, that cars could turn in front of oncoming traffic was either unconcerned with pedestrian safety or not the best and brightest.

3 Likes

Well the rules say you can’t. Just in Taiwan no one follows this rule. To be honest this is one of the most dangerous and a annoying parts of driving here, scooters and cars turning in front of you in the intersection when you have right of way…

1 Like

In such a situation, is carrying on and smashing into them permitted?

Asking for a friend. :grin:

Guy

Last week some owners of heavy motorcycles protested to gain access to national highways.
Starting last Friday I saw police at many exits filming and stopping any motorcycles.

94高速公路上的乖寶寶

1 Like

At 10 p.m., a taxi driven by a 47-year-old man surnamed Chang (張) was driving down Sanmin Road in New Taipei City’s Luzhou District, when it suddenly made a left turn on Minzu Road and sideswiped a white SUV driven by a 40-year-old man surnamed Chen (陳), whose vehicle then swerved right onto a nearby sidewalk.

six were taken to hospitals in the area, but none of their injuries were deemed to be life-threatening.

Chang failed to wait for a left turn signal before turning onto Minzu Road.

4 Likes

Here’s a video of the incident (remember to mute the audio, shitty music and sound effects as per usual). Taxi driver didn’t even really slow down coming up to the turn, he just went for it…

4 Likes

Bloody hell! These guys can come at you, any time from any where.

That almost made me feel sorry for someone driving an SUV. Then I remembered: that guy is driving an SUV.

Guy

I’ve seen so many drivers driving half-asleep. I once was on a very scary highway taxi-drive with a driver that started unintentionally micro-napping every couple of minutes,
(This was on my way to quarantine from the airport).

1 Like

Probably because they are driving for way too long, causing them to be tired. Driving while tired is actually worse than drunk driving. There’s a reason why in the US there are mandated rest period for truck drivers.

1 Like

Taiwanese tend to fall asleep very easily, you just have to see how easily many fall asleep on the mrt and bus, it scares me if those who drive vehicles do the same

1 Like

I’m always extra careful around taxis, but today also almost ran into someone who cut me off turning left when they shouldn’t have

1 Like

Safer than a smart car, scooters don’t burn a lot of gas but you cover the metal not vice versa

I am trying to figure out if this is Daoist or Zen Buddhist in spirit. :upside_down_face:

Guy

images (1)

1 Like