Is traffic the worst part of Taiwan's lingering third worldism?

https://images.app.goo.gl/os1mGnCu4eGePdNs9

Go take a look at the picture above. If you ride your scooter on this lane, you will be

A. Completely segregated from cars. Therefore safe.
B. And you will be riding your scooter orderly in a single file, because the lane is not wide enough for you to overtake unless the scooter in front of you consents to yield to you, by riding off center.

FFS, for the third time, where will the cars park. Your “solution” only works because you haven’t thought it through

The problem here isnt that the rest of us don’t get what you’re saying, we’ve just thought it through farther than you have

Again, for the 3rd time, this only works in your mind. I’ve covered this above and you just ignore it

The width or the bike lane in that picture takes into consideration safety margin and is intended for 1 file riding, generous room for 1 file. If transplanting to Taiwan, you can shrink the path width to about 5 feet or 150cm depending on the surrounding sidewalks, trees, or whatever safety margin you have in mind. Key is to shape scooter traffic into “one file”.

Can you take a closer look at the picture in the link below? It already shows where the cars park.

https://images.app.goo.gl/kHpZJJuQvFsrKt5L6

You’re just repeating yourself and ignoring the critical points I’ve raised. Bravo

You mean those two lanes of car traffic that will be totally shut down? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

There’s also the problem, which i already raised of adding this to EVERY SINGLE ROAD in Taiwan. Really, you think this is a good idea? Gonna have to knock down a lot of buildings to make the extra space

Apparently they can speak a lot of other realities into existence as well. The power of speech :grimacing:

And how does that car get to turn to the left at an intersection or left junction?

I suppose you are just continuing in the same train of thought that saw traffic being segregated as “inner two lanes for cars, trucks and buses, smaller outer lane for scooters …oh and cars/trucks/buses turning right, and sometimes bicycles”?

1 Like

Would you believe i already raised this question above and it was ignored? :laughing:

That, there, is the explanation for most of the road horrors.

3 Likes

You can dream of keeping it on one file and hope everyone rides at safe speeds and doesn’t want to overpass anybody and also everybody fits. Reminds me of the Boring Company great idea of tunnels for cars under LA from that guy.

Oh, and so many questions about intersections, you are just adding incoming lanes to an intersection, and now how will the intersection function now? How will that affect the flow of traffic on the street? Are we increasing even further traffic light times? How will that affect safety on the roads and well-being of the people in and around them?
Also since you can’t build this on all roads, how do you design and solve the points where regular roads merge into roads with this “single-file”? How do you enforce people riding on them? You can’t physically separate all the motorbikes all the time.

As end note, your “solution” reminds me a lot of the way things like mountain hiking and water-sports are dealt here, specially after accidents: make a guarded physical barrier/rail and very defined paths, and make it illegal to step out of it.
Oh and don’t even think about getting close to the water and rivers!

If only driving education was improvable AND ALSO happened to be mandatory for all drivers…

1 Like

Oh stop complaining! The photograph I gave you IS the quintessential First-Worldism. You can take it and scale it accordingly to suit different streets. Do you want Third-Worldism, or First-Wordlism? Make up your mind. Can’t have it both ways.

I don’t see why you can’t give more incentives / pressure to switch to electric scooters. The infrastructure and technology is here… all made by Taiwanese companies. TW govt dropping the ball big time on this.

You remind me of most Taiwanese I know. First they complain, and when someone proposes an actual workable solution that’s already been trialled and tested in let’s say “FIRST WORLD”, they dismiss it with “oh but won’t work in Taiwan”.

Hey if you’re an expat, I must say you’ve assimilated well into Taiwanese culture, I must say. Very Taiwanese.

All the questions you raised in your paragraph are NOT proof that the top-level framework or architectural solution doesn’t work. The questions you raised belong to secondary or lower-level design considerations which frankly can be worked out quite easily.

Learn to have the patience to identify or visualize top-level problems and also to prioritize what’s more important. You have to learn to make hard choices. Otherwise you are not designing a new solution, you’re just duct-taping on an existing failure.

Taiwanese e-Scooters maker Gogoro already went public on Nasdaq April 2022. Stock price shot up to $15 and quickly dropped to $5. Wherever they want to list, however their stock performs, why ask for Taiwanese government subsidies if they have no problem attracting capital?

Say if Gogoro can paint a rosy picture, like if the CEO has 10 kids and 5 ex-wives and 2 celebrity gfs, and improve on his own personal image/charisma, then let capital market respond more favourably.

Electric scooters are better than scooters. But do you know what is even better? No scooters.

4 Likes

I want a workable solution, not a 5 year old’s pipe dream.

Because if given the choice of electric and gas the public are going to go with gas if its cheaper. There needs to be more incentives when the main reason for using a scooter is purely convenience and functionality. More progress needs to be made and faster, simple as that. The infrastructure is here, why are they dragging their feet?

This is a no brainer. The exhaust pollution makes Taipei smell like shit, and the noise pollution is horrible too. I’ve lived in 2 places in Taipei, I couldn’t open the windows in either place because shitty polluted air would immediately enter and i wouldn’t be able to sleep due to the apocalyptic road noise.

4 Likes

The truth is, Taipei is very suitable for getting around in a scooter. What would you prefer? Bicycles? There are too many bridges and the weather isn’t suitable for bikes to be the main mode of transport.

“A separate physical lane for scooters” sounds great if you stop asking questions after reading that sentence. If your “top-level framework” is just a top-level idea, it’s meaningless. Ideas are worthless, how you execute the ideas, considering secondary and lower-level design considerations is everything to the idea, but you’ve shown no will of answering those lower-level considerations, and that makes your idea worthless.

You didn’t answer any of my or @TT 's concerns, because you seem to dismiss them as “trivial” low-level considerations.

You remind me of someone who wants to dismiss my opinion for some personal judgement of who I am.
If you go around the world you will see people is very critical in many places, not only in Taiwan!

Please consider why nobody in this thread is onboard with your idea about the single scooter lane. Your idea is lacking. You should work on answering the lower-level considerations.

1 Like