Is traffic the worst part of Taiwan's lingering third worldism?

This is already illegal, they just dont care

2 Likes

You have scooter free zones. There are entire highways and lanes where no motorcycles are allowed, not even large ones. What we need is more lanes and roads, or days, with no 4 wheeled vehicles allowed.

I am regularly regulated to a frontage lane, not allowed to use the 2 or 3 lanes for cars, yet still stuck behind a slow moving car who comes over to avoid all the traffic or because eventually he will turn right but maybe not for several blocks. Assholes

1 Like

I have never heard of or experienced this in Taiwan, at least compared to China, India, Laos, or Thailand where I did have first hand experience (mostly to my benefit, I think)

1 Like

It’s not at that scale, but there’s definitely corruption in terms of government oversight

It’s not like Mexico where you can just pay off any cop though

Maybe I’m being too harsh it’s no where near third world corruption you are right

4 Likes

And about education, doing my PhD in education in Canada was a huge disappointment and an eye opener. I dont think here is really that much worse, maybe a small dip in the average and some outliers. Taiwanese students will excel in things like math and science, compqred to Canadian students who arent pushed as hard. There are tradeoffs, neither system is perfect and of course I prefer the system that I went through.

Nope, for me, traffic here is worse than Thailand. Education and corruption much better.

2 Likes

I think the students are fantastic actually. They’re really great and highly motivated in general (obviously not all of them)

My complaints are about the length of school (not even including cram school which I view as cruel and harmful to mental health) the way tests are administrated and the over reliance on lectures over student centered learning.

The Taiwanese government has very stringent rules on what material must be covered and tested and try to cram everything in all at once. Teachers often have no choice but to lecture to meet the requirements. That’s why everything goes at breakneck speed and why everyone is dumping money into anqing bans and English cram schools.

But I’ll admit things are also changing for the better. New younger teachers are eager for change and even some veteran teachers are open to improve their classes. At least in Taipei it’s this way.

Right now, the biggest stumbling block is antiquated government rules. But like I said I’m hopeful it will change

1 Like

I’ve never lived in Thailand to be fair. I visited and the traffic wasn’t very great. But I think it’s pretty unfair to compare Thailand to Taiwan

I ride over a single file bridge every day. People always try and take over. Some cunts even beep me.

I also used to ride over fuhu bridge once a week. Two scooter lanes, separated from the cars, about five foot wide. There was a delay because of a crash literally every time I rode over it.

4 Likes

To be fair, @sofun has admitted to not actually riding a white plate in Taiwan, so doesn’t have the necessary information on which to design a better system…

1 Like

Having lived in both places, they are more alike than China and Taiwan in many ways. I’ve also lived in China.

All three are unique, in some ways (e.g. corruption, food culture), Taiwan is different from the ither two…

Ok I concede to you. It was rash to make the comparison. Besides, the more I compare it to Mexico which is my point of reference, the more unfair it seems.

I don’t agree with you. When there’s rush hour traffic, everyone should line up single file in their lane, cars and scooters. But if there isn’t much traffic, you should be able to safely pass a slow driver on the left. How many people are driving under 50 anyways. Pretty rare in my experience.

I never said otherwise. But they don’t.

Sure i do this all the time.

Kinda depends, but yeah the speed limits are regularly broken

Not sure what you dont agree with.

Then I am misreading your asshole in the car in the right lane musings.
:thinking:

• Protected scooter/bike lanes need to have their own dedicated traffic lights.
  • Intersections remain clear unobstructed. Bollards and barriers will not be in the intersections.
  • traffic lights installed on small streets. Taiwan doesn’t use the US stop-sign system. Taiwan uses traffic lights extensively.

I hope the 3 points above taken together answer your questions.

Nothing like a little complexity to liven things up, eh? How many sets of lights will there end up being? And road users have to pay attention to ALL THOSE while keeping a beady eye on other traffic and non-extant road markings and signage.

Taiwan way of traffic lights is set up all wrong. Whats the goal behind a series of 20 lights each a block (or less) apart, synchronised to change at the same time? That is pure, pire, unadulturated piddle designed to encourage overspeeding on crowded streets and increase delays in stops. Seems ease and expediency trump traffic calming.

4 Likes

To me, returning to Dublin for a short trip, its not the traffic but the outside of homes in Urban parts of Taiwan. Inside the home maybe nice but outside, no paint , no cleaning from the rain water marks, ect

8 Likes

A bit understandable, because of the climate. This would be a constant struggle against things growing on the walls and anyways the weather isn’t nice for sitting outside the house…

People always give this excuse but I’ve been to other rainier/just as rainy places and they don’t have this issue. Cleaning a building every few years would pay dividends in appearance.

6 Likes

Thailand did

It would, can’t disagree. I just sympathize with not caring much if nobody else does, because it is a constant problem