Is traffic the worst part of Taiwan's lingering third worldism?

Condolences to the victims, but:

News reports said that Yu’s parents run the “Spiritual Ocean International Group” (心靈海國際教育集團), which provides spiritual guidance and self-empowerment courses and has more than 300,000 members in China.

Just wow.

Yeah, I liked that bit too. I should really start a church.

so many levels of fucked up to this story

Religion is a good business, you just need to find idiots that want to join and pay a ‘membership’ fee.

1 Like

It’s the oldest business along with prostitution.

I think you may have skipped over hunter-gatherer.

Not a business, survival !

Sounds like Purple “SEA-FOOD”

1 Like

No pollution and architecture is. Traffic is bad.

1 Like

A point of comparison: I have spent a week in Tokyo–a vastly more populated city than anywhere in Taiwan, with many narrow winding streets–without seeing a traffic accident or anything remotely resembling a close call with a vehicle.

You can draw your own conclusions.

Guy

4 Likes

Tokyo is perhaps the best city in the world. Nothing really compares.

1 Like

Tokyo, and Japan in general has far less 2 wheel motorized transport and more non motorized ones is part of the reason. Most Japanese will not tolerate the low safety of the Taiwanese traffic system in Japan is my guess the reason for this.

1 Like

The senseless drivers speeding thru the traffic lights just as they become red is the most annoying and dangerous thing i’ve experienced here. I wonder if it boils down to plain old lack of enforcement. Compared to the US, I don’t see many traffic cops here. Far less actually having pulled someone over to give them a ticket. I feel if the traffic police do better targeted enforcement at major intersections, it’d send a strong message.

3 Likes

When in Rome…

They don’t do anything anyway. I have no idea why, but they are essentially useless

1 Like

All too hard to catch these days, the world is moving on to Speed Cameras, Red Light Cameras, Bus Lane Cameras and so on. A right PITA in Australia, behave or else…and rich people don’t win either as the Govt gives ‘points’ for each offence, accrue 12 points inside 24 months and you lose your Licence. About the only thing that the Police regularly look for are Drink Drivers…they have Random Tests, set up a road block and test all, exceed 0.05 and Bingo.

1 Like

Another metric to measure:

1 Like

Definitely. I really despise traffic management and driving culture here.

36d659ba688f913aac06b9b5c2eb1562

1 Like

I know it’s hard to say given differences from say Taichung to Miaoli to Taipei, but do you think there have been any changes in this “culture” (such as it is) during the time you’ve lived here?

Guy