Is traffic the worst part of Taiwan's lingering third worldism?

Crash on highway leaves 2 dead. 1st car was a drunk driver. 2nd car stopped in time to avoid hitting the car in front but a bus rear ended them. Wonder if the bus was driving too close…

2 Likes

An investigation conducted by the police revealed that the female driver in her 40s of the first car that crashed had been drunk driving. She was arrested and faces charges.

Doesn’t sound like that. Because it says the car was backing up to get around the stopped drunk car.

But then the question becomes why didn’t the bus see what was going on?

2 Likes

Better source from Focus Taiwan.

2nd car driver said he was thinking about backing up but doesn’t seem like he actually started to as the bus came up on them pretty much right after they stopped. His passenger died in the ensuing fire and the bus driver was killed.

2 Likes

I was watching it on the news, they were stopped at the light and took off at a beeline for the wall, so I don’t think so. Not sure if an all-time brainfart or suicide attempt. Couldn’t be the latter actually, make that drugs.

1 Like

Curious as to how many folks are going to die this week on the roads, it’s a madhouse out here in the sticks today.

4 Likes

I could imagine someone on ketamine pulling a stunt like that.

1 Like

Maybe mechanical failure, like the throttle got stuck open, and then they panicked and couldn’t control a turn or think to bail?

2 Likes

In the city too

1 Like

Been hearing tons of cars just slamming on the accelerator on a straight-away near my home late at night. Recently it’s been a lot worse. Oh yeah, when they do this they are blowing by a police station too. Given the time of day I also wonder how many of them have had a bit to drink too.

2 Likes

He/she was riding a brand new BWS. Doubt it was a mechanical failure. I’d lean more toward insurance claim or attention call, it being that time of year and all.

2 Likes

Few days ago in Taichung. 18 year old on a scooter runs through a red light and hits a car who was going on the green light. Car “loses control” and ends up hitting a scooter driver and passenger. 2 people seriously injured.

There’s only one quick way to reduce deaths: 30 km/h speed limit in urban areas. And ENFORCE it. Redesigning the cities and re-educating the citizens can take ages.

1 Like

Now we’re really thinking outside the box. I like it!

How about trying to get out of CNY with extended family, but not checking out the road layout beforehand?

1 Like

At the very least I wish there was more done about the red light runners.

4 Likes

Just enforcing the limits they have now, which are often 30 to 60, would be a big improvement. Not gonna stop people from running red lights though, since the lights are not timed to the limits

They’d have to start enforcing red lights, too!

3 Likes

Or maybe they did check the layout, and decided the hospital was the better option?

1 Like

It’s a bold strategy, maybe it paid off.

I’d even go so far as to say they had numerous nephews and nieces on both sides as well as 4 living parents. That’s a lot of red bags to get out handing about.

1 Like

Now that would be a bold move!

2 Likes

They might have had a hard time getting so far!

Could be. There didn’t seem to be any signs of panic/distress though