Is traffic the worst part of Taiwan's lingering third worldism?

Another drunk driver…this time kills an off-duty police officer who was visiting his hometown.

Also a 21 year old man turns down the wrong side of the road and eventually ends up running into and killing a driver of another vehicle.

1 Like

What an a&&.

Guy

2 Likes

WTF is wrong with the drivers here. :slightly_frowning_face:

Guy

1 Like

I never turn left in this kind of left turning lanes. I 環島 if I have to.

2 Likes

Motorcycles on the sidewalk? Pfft, you ain’t seen nothing yet! Taiwan Up!

1 Like

Taichung again. Hate to be in front of this driver…food delivery driver stops to make a left turn at the intersection. Driver behind him tailgates and rear ends him multiple times, then proceeds to yell and hit/assault the guy after getting out of his car. The scooter driver “apologized” to the driver since he was getting attacked. The driver then proceeded to flee from the scene…

1 Like

I was honked at today. In Tainan, on an unfamiliar small road and approaching an intersection with a stop sign painted for me but not the perpendicular lanes. So I start slowing, in order to come to a rolling stop and make sure nobody is coming fast with the right of way in either direction. And the dude behind me honked, and passed me inside the intersection. What an ass.

No close calls or viewed accidents today, though

7 Likes

Pulled into a parking lot. Noticed a guy backing his truck down the street using motorcycle lane and partially in main road. Backs truck up against traffic for about 50 meters to get to the intersection where he then stopped and proceeded to make a left turn.

4 Likes

This one is getting a lot of traction overseas.

2 Likes

Head of MOTC will remain in his position and has set goals for 2023.

Wang Kwo-tsai (王國材) yesterday said his main missions this year would be to reduce the number of pedestrians killed in traffic accidents and ensure that Taiwan Railways Corp is officially established by January next year.

1 Like

Shen would coordinate with local government officials to provide facilities for pedestrians and ensure covered walkways are not blocked by parked scooters or other objects, he said.

It is easier for Taiwan to win an open war against China than to win an open war against scooters.

Also, what do they mean with “not blocked”? If 40 cm of room for pedestrians is what they understand as “not blocked”, then they might have a chance.

3 Likes

Literally saw a guy U turn and stop in the middle of a semi busy intersection for 30 seconds to check his phone until someone honked at him, then he became pissed. The drivers in Taiwan are like children

7 Likes

Impossible. According to Reddit, Taiwanese are the friendliest people!

Sarcasm aside, I don’t understand why people get so dramatic over such small things on the road here. Recently was in a taxi that got slightly bumped at a very low speed. It was very clearly the other driver’s fault for not checking his mirrors before trying to get into a turn lane far too late. Immediately the taxi driver jumps out. They have a normal discussion for about 3 minutes before they suddenly start getting upset. Like what’s the point? There’s just minor scratches and no one got hurt. Just accept it and move on.

6 Likes

A lot of men refuse to accept they are ever at fault. Culture, innit.

7 Likes

Some cities , generally speaking, manage scooter parking very strictly on pavements e.g. Taoyuan . Weirdly.
But then they are still missing a lot of pavements and drive like animals.

4 Likes

Macho Children, the worst possible combination. Hence you get fucking idiots trying to overtake you even though a red light is just in front of you, or undertake you at an intersection if they think you are slow.
It’s like a competition for them.

6 Likes

More newsworthy incident. In Taichung a pedestrian was once again hit on the cross walk. A delivery truck drove right into a 71 year old pedestrian and hit him with the mirror which somehow the pedestrian got caught on and seemed to get whipped around a bit whilst hanging from it. The driver said he didn’t see him. As can be seen from the video this was a wide open area, not the usual intersection with crap all over the place.

Also spreading around a bit on local news is this illegally parked vehicle on the sidewalk in ZhongHe, police won’t issue a ticket/fine from the online report because there is no video proof of the vehicle driving onto the sidewalk, prompting some people to comment along the lines of, how else could the vehicle get there if the driver didn’t drive onto the sidewalk and park it there. The police also commented saying that this type of offense is not reportable by the public anymore after changes they made last year. The public can only call the police to come out and write up a ticket in person.

6 Likes

Lots of those types driving in Taiwan, insane levels of entitlement. Above I shared the video of a delivery driver getting rear ended multiple times and assaulted for no reason at all.

Saw this one a few months ago, a guy on a scooter yield to pedestrians crossing but the car behind him gets close and honks at him so he feels forced to keep going and he pulls over to the side, the driver pulls over too and comes out trying to act all tough thinking the other guy is trying to mess with him or cause trouble…it’s actually incredible how well the guy kept his cool dealing with such a nutjob. Even when the police arrives the guy still tries to come up some excuses, like I’ve been driving for 20 years, I have to do like that? (referring to yielding to pedestrians). He sure tried to keep it cool in front of the police officers though even though he was acting tough and like he was getting ready to throw down just minutes prior.

That’s on the way to wanfang hospital, right?

That road is dangerous. Scooters doing dodgy u turns on the crosswalks.

I’d struggle to keep calm with that guy.

Lin was scared by the bird and fell to the ground when the macaw suddenly approached him from behind and scratched his back head.
Lin sued Huang for NT$3.68 million in compensation for his financial losses, including the loss of his NT$220,000 monthly salary during his home recuperation and other spending on medical expenses and caregiver fees, according to the ruling.

NT$ 3 million fine for a guy whose pet bird scared a doctor who then fell. I wonder how much cheaper the fine would have been had the owner been driving drunk and instead hit the doctor directly with his car…

9 Likes