Is traffic the worst part of Taiwan's lingering third worldism?

Going off the recent incident where the bus driver verbally abused an elderly man and hit a Hong Kong girl with his bus and then came out and assaulted her…my guess is $6,000.

4 Likes

A 29-year-old woman was killed by a bus in Kaohsiung when she and her wife stopped their motorbike in the middle of the road to look for a dropped phone around 11pm last night. Several news stories mentioned that they were a lesbian couple, and called the deceased as the “husband.” I don’t know how being gay is relevant in this tragedy, and calling the woman the “husband” is just weird.

3 Likes

Why didn’t the driver see them, did he have tine to stop?

I wonder if they had their lights on, motorcycles with the lights off at night is a pet peeve

Maybe, put the phone away and hold on to the motorcycle?

Stopping in the middle of the road? Would have been safer to pull off the road and nake sure there were no vehicles coming before going out onto the road

Sad to see yet another traffic death, but this time it doesn’t seem to be just the bus driver’s fault. It’s an example of how the bad behavior we see on the roads daily shouldn’t just be shrugged off

1 Like

wtf…I just watched the video of her getting hit. WTF was that?! she just casually strolling around the street as cars zoom by as she searches for a phone she dropped in the middle of a road with moving traffic. :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle:

Taiwanese are so used to walk around cars that they are not aware of the danger.

5 Likes

Please be reasonable. Life anywhere (including walking around metro stations in Taipei) cannot possibly exist without staring down at a phone.

Guy

1 Like

In this case, life was made impossible

1 Like

Sorry, the article did say that they parked the motorbike at the side of the road. Also, from the video, it looks like only the woman was on the road, and she was in dark clothes. It probably would have been safer had she parked the motorbike on the road and had the lights on…

Once while biking in the U S, a light fell off my bike. I parked on the side of the road while the driver behind me stopped even when I motioned them to move on… Then it dawned on me that they wanted to make sure I would not be run over by another car when I picked up my light. I am forever grateful. I wish drivers in Taiwan were this courteous and kind.

6 Likes

Perfect example of a spoiled brat who probably got away with this kind of shit all his life because everyone around him wanted to make sure he wouldn’t lose face. Now, he managed to paint himself into a corner and is angry that no one wants to cover help him out. So childish. I remember having a student who I kicked out of the classroom for being a persistent prick. Eventually another teacher asked if he could come back in and agreed but only if he sat apart from his friends. She told him and he refused to come back in because if he is forced to sit elsewhere, “he will have lost face.”. My response was, “great, if he doesn’t want to lose face again, then he knows exactly what not to do.” That was not the correct response on my part. I should have said, “oh, I’m so sorry, it was a misunderstanding, I didn’t realize that he was just trying to “help” his friend out.”

Chinese culture has many wonderful things. This though, is not one of them.

3 Likes

Very rarely do drivers actually yield for me as a pedestrian, the few times it does happen quite often the person behind them immediately starts honking like a nutjob who had his switch flicked or idiots on scooters swing out and accelerate pretty hard and come close to hitting me. There is little to no patience or calm, just a lot of go go go.

1 Like

Just driving up a small road when a scooter was coming the opposite way. One of us had to yield. The scooter pulled over when it was easier for me to. Nice guy I thought. As I passed him, he even nodded his head. It was a foreign dude. Ahhh, that explains it. That explains why he was so considerate while driving. Warm fuzzy feeling for my fellow pointy nose.

Then I looked at the road markings and realised it was a one way street. What a cunt! Hope it wasn’t one of you guys.

4 Likes

Some streets are 1 way for cars, but white plates can go both ways (um, I’m pretty sure!)

1 Like

Only if you are a foreigner? I thought that was only for bikes with red plates. They can go really fast so they don’t go the wrong way for so long. Safer.

There are streets where Google maps sends me against the arrows, and I see locals on white plates doing the same thing, so I don’t overthink it :man_shrugging:

1 Like

So you have a beard?

Well, you know how it is.

Usually something. But it wouldn’t have been me because I’m not in Taipei

I think that has to be the explanation. She was literally walking around in traffic, insane.

My gf thinks I over react when I get pissed at cars driving to close to me and too fast down narrow streets. She also has complete trust drivers will stop for her when crossing the street. How can they be so oblivious when they are surrounded by so much road death.

5 Likes

Tragic example. Mother crossing the street with her baby.

It does look like there aren’t sidewalks (surprise!) and who knows how many hundreds of meters you have to walk without sidewalks to reach your destination using zebra crossings. So, I don’t blame her for jaywalking. But doing it in diagonal and apparently without watching for traffic?

My neck spins like crazy every time I cross a street with my daughter.

3 Likes

That second accident in that video is crazy…neither one wanted to yield at an intersection with no signs or lights…why don’t they put in a stop sign or yield sign at these places?

I don’t think they didn’t want to yield. Most probably they just didn’t bother to check for traffic, and it’s pretty obvious that they didn’t bother to reduce their speeds either.

I know that area and it’s full of this kind of X intersections without any kind of signalling or speed reducing infrastructure. Which, by the way, I don’t think nobody would wanted it. Going fast and offering food to the speed gods is just easier.

1 Like