:facebook: Is working for a Taiwanese company really that bad?

Yes, it is generally really bad , dont do it.
You will be like a servant at 24 hour beck and call, might as well bend over.

Yes it is. Besides the daily torture, there’s also the opportunity cost of working here that could hinder your career in the future.

I think it’s getting to a stage where it’ll affect your future more than you think. In certain fields, when people see you worked in Taiwan for an extended period of time they’ve often heard the negative stigma attached to work environments here and will be more critical of the skills and experiences you’ve had here in your position.

I’ve had friends return home and have a harder time finding work after pulling a few years here.

1 Like

I think it goes both ways and it very much depends on industry and position. For me the opportunity cost has mostly been the lower income in my 20s and up to my mid 30s.

1 Like

People have heard of Taiwan work environments outside of Taiwan?

I think if you were to have a hard time it would be because the recruiter in your home country sees Thailand, sorry Taiwan, as an unverifiable resume black hole.

2 Likes

Are there so many foreigners that were lured by false rosy working environments/contracts or future in Taiwan?

I think they class Asia as a whole in a bubble that comprises of inefficient, robotic and tiring work practices.

They generally regard Taiwan as Thailand. Maybe write Republic of China instead and they might say “Wow you worked in China, do you speak the language”? Rather than "You worked in Thailand hmmm why did you choose to work there "?

are you referring Chienkuo Technology University?

Me?
No, I was referring to the university @Icon was talking about.
But why did you bring up Chienkuo Technology University?
Did they do something in that sense?

Off topic:

probably yes, though the university is denying.

2 Likes

That’s just… :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
Revolting!

Now I’m also missing out on some management opps and jobs compared to a regional center such as Singapore. But it’s the same issue if I was in lots of countries not necessarily a Taiwan problem per se.

Cheap sex and great food is the only answer to that, but may not go down well in an interview.

1 Like

Actually, that was not the only case. Several universities did abuse the SEA students, luring them with promises of degrees, charging enormous amounts of money… and then sending them to factories or abattoirs instead.

Please note that the university students were the ones who had to leave upon the cases being revealed, and that the universities were hardly punished. A big fine to compensate whatever red envelope they received as intermediaries would have been nice, at least,but no. Losing their licenses is more appropriate, but then they would just open up with another name and possibly in the same location.

1 Like

Actually, nope. Very few people who come with contracts from outside are duped. They usually have plush expat packages that compensate most inconveniences. However, there is still a lot of disappointment and the occasional lying through their teeth.

Most cases involve a foreigner whose wife/gf has presented a rather rosy picture… then gets stuck teaching bushiban while in Europe/US he was manager making 6 figures. Go figure.

2 Likes

Well that is true, they might take you on for your honesty :rofl:

Depends on company, industry, colleagues of course but in my experience I really suffer when it comes to the social aspect. I struggle to find things to chat about. I mostly dread the lunches and outings when it’s a group thing. I can mostly speak and understand Chinese, but I struggle to relate in the group settings. I find the groups get childish, noisy, shy, boring, awkward…not always though I must stress.

I have a few fairly good one on one relationships at work. Love it when someone comes in from overseas which is quite often so all in all not too many complaints

1 Like