Is Your Credit Card Expiry Date Linked to Your ARC Expiry? (Or Was it Previously)

Im just curious for those that managed to wring a credit card out of a bank here, did they tie it to your ARC expiry, or if you are PARC did they use to do that when you only had an ARC?

The bank sent me one like that and I only noticed it today when I looked at the card closer. I checked online and there was an article from the government telling banks not to cancel foreigners credit cards when their ARC expires but when I called the bank, they said they want to see my ARC every year or they won’t renew it and tried to blame it on a government regulation. I debunked this to them but they stayed firm.

I may go back to Canada next year for 2 months and then return so it seems any potential break in my Arc will cause me to be cancelled.

In addition, if your card is linked to your ARC expiry date, does your bank require you to show your new ARC to them each time it renews?

No. (No)

No. (No)[/quote]

In my case, they made a fuss every year for me to give them a copy of most updated ARC. That nonsense only stopped with the APRC, and even then, the first year I got their little letter -even though I had already given them a copy of the APRC. They got me on a bad day and I used a very strong tone with the poor things. :blush: Anyways, that was the end of the story.

No. (No)[/quote]

Hi Icon
During my fight with the bank regarding a credit card, I had everything that could be expected, including money on deposit, but they were still quite difficult to deal with. I went off on a few people as well, but I always told them that it was nothing personal, but they needed to do something about it instead of just telling me sorry with the excuse that I am a foreigner. I always felt bad when I did this but it seems nothing ever progresses if you just roll over like they are hoping you will.

In my case, they made a fuss every year for me to give them a copy of most updated ARC. That nonsense only stopped with the APRC, and even then, the first year I got their little letter -even though I had already given them a copy of the APRC. They got me on a bad day and I used a very strong tone with the poor things. :blush: Anyways, that was the end of the story.[/quote]

In my case, my ARC expires in July, but they gave me a card with one year validity ending in November 2013, which is one year from the application date.
I asked why and they said it is based on my ARC. I didnt point out but was thinking that in actually it isn’t, since if that was the case, it should expire july 2013. Then they tried to blame government regulations but I advised them this:

chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/busi … C-asks.htm

I asked what happens if I leave Taiwan fora few months and return with a new ARC? She said that I would have to reapply again and (presumably) go through the same fight I had with them to get the card in the first place, of course, due to me being a foreigner.

To icon, i got into a few heated discussions with them , but I always told them that I understand that they are not managers, but that they needed to get me a manager to speak to as it was unacceptable. It seems that many people in Taiwan are unlikely to ever question when they are told no, based on the bewilderment I got when the customer service couldnt get through to me that a foreigner deserves nothing and I disputed it. I always felt sorry for the poor things afterward too but if I didn’t push my point, it would be too easy for them to just say no all the time.