Is your job the right one right for you?

Poor old English teachers do cop it unbelievably hard. Personally I can’t understand it, it is after all a noble but all too thankless job. The last thing teachers need is fellow furreners jumping on the bandwagon.

HG.

To be honest JD I could care less about English teaching but some seem to have such thin skin about it which makes for some good passive aggressive entertainment. The ones that can take the piss out of themselves are actually the funniest. I remember my friend telling me how he had to hide in the little kid

[quote=“purple people eaters”]To be honest JD I could care less about English teaching but some seem to have such thin skin about it which makes for some good passive aggressive entertainment.[/quote]Way to go! Thanks for playing… :unamused:

T.

I hope some moderator has the patience to clean up this nice thread at some point when all this bickering is over.

But really why do you guys let PPE get all these defensive reactions from you? You know it just feeds the beast, so to speak.

If you take personal pride in what you do and how you do it then you don’t have to identify yourselves with everyone who does the job that you do, especially the ones who do it badly.

Purple has a vicious streak. Maybe he should take a break :wink:

tash, you just don’t understand teaching culture. :wink: I’d like to be confident in what I do but like HG said, this is a thankless job and comments like the above makes me all introverted to the point where I become shy in class. :frowning: :smiley:

T.

T, not sure if you’re kidding or not.

I’m sure most of us grew up believing that teaching is honorable and respected. I can’t believe we’ve gone from that to this. Teaching is right up there with healing in my book. It pisses me off that we’re even questioning this. The whole English teaching in Taiwan phenomenon is a bit of a shock to me and feels like a Twilight Zone episode where they switched teaching with a job like enforcer for the mob or something and presented it in the same light, you know?

I love learning. Anyone that makes the effort to teach me something gets my respect and gratitude. Whether he’s getting paid for it or not.

That might be a simplistic way of looking at it, but why not look at it that way? If you really love to teach hopefully you can go back to those basics of what motivates you and ignore the stigma.

I can’t believe I’m using the term stigma in this context. Really sad.

Just cleaned up this topic and unlocked it. Please folks, this is a worthwhile thread, so let’s keep all the sniping out. K? :slight_smile:

For my part:

When I got my first job stacking supermarket shelves at 14, my mom (Bless her soul) must have sensed a bit of tredipdation on my part and she sat me down and gave me a bit of advice that ended in something like this, “Son, no honest labor is demeaning.”

I’ve tried to remember that.

[quote=“Wookiee”]Just cleaned up this topic and unlocked it. Please folks, this is a worthwhile thread, so let’s keep all the sniping out. K? :slight_smile: [/quote]Thanks Wookie. :slight_smile:

[quote]When I got my first job stacking supermarket shelves at 14, my mom (Bless her soul) must have sensed a bit of tredipdation on my part and she sat me down and gave me a bit of advice that ended in something like this, “Son, no honest labor is demeaning.”

I’ve tried to remember that.[/quote]Me too. My old man said it a bit differently though. He said it more than once. (mind the translation) “It doesn’t matter what it is you do, as long as you fucking get up in the morning and do your job, you’ve got fuck all to be ashamed of. Still, you better fucking study so you don’t end up like your father.”

He was always swearing. :wink:

bobepine

I’ve had library jobs pretty much all my life (through school that is). What a great way to spend time. They pay you to shelve books and catalogue, etc, and if you do it fast enough, you have time to get lost in the stacks yourself. I used to be able to take books home (‘long term loan’) or just finish entire books on my shift. Ahh, the life of a bookworm.