Isn't it illegal to ask students to wear a mask?

I found out today my middle school sons teacher told all the students to "put on their masks so he doesn’t get Covid ". Basically coerced and ‘bullied’ them all into putting it on. Illegal no? Anywhere I can report this?

1 Like

No.

You’ll need to talk to the school admin. But there are no laws on the matter. Institutions are free to make their own rules.

1 Like

Gotcha. Yeah, I fired off an email about it, waiting to hear back

This brainwashing isn’t illegal, but it should be condemned. I have quite a few kids who genuinely believe that taking their mask off will lead to COVID particles immediately jumping into their lungs and killing them because that’s basically what they’ve been told so many times these past few years. It’s one thing to wear a mask to keep other peoples germs out of your mouth/lungs, but it’s something else entirely to have people tell you “you will catch COVID” (outside, in the sun, quite a few meters from any other human)

6 Likes

I am sure your child will thank you.

Yap all good :+1:

It probably is illegal. There is no law that supports it, and at least one law that makes it unlawful. The CECC’s announcement on the matter is nonsensical at best, and clearly oversteps the bounds of their remit. However the Taiwan government - like many others - has essentially abandoned rule of law when it comes to “health” in favour of administrative “mandates”. And the bottom line is that no lawyer will touch this stuff with a bargepole. I’ve tried. So whether it’s legal or not is a moot point. In practice there are no sanctions.

The law has been defanged and declawed, and has no power to prevent idiocy and child abuse if the magic five-letter word can be invoked. Expecto retardum!

Schools must follow the rules set by MOE. Since the government downgraded COVID, and students should be able to make their own choice whether or not to wear a mask (except when entering the school health center, where they must). If you make a fuss with the school they will follow the law. No administrator will stick their neck out to contravene a mandate put out be MOE.

I work in a public school and I know that teachers or administrators will try to do things that they shouldn’t when they think that no one is looking.

For example, schools can not force students to put on our take off their jackets; students have the freedom too choose this. Teachers cannot dictate acceptable hair styles (dyed hair). Corporal punishment isn’t allowed. The more countryside you go, the more the teachers will try force students to do things to maintain order. This has been my experience working in countryside schools.

But if you make a formal complaint to the school/county government, they will change their behavior. I think you have a case for coercion. Ask off the teachers I know wouldn’t try to play this facemask game anymore. Afterall, play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

1 Like

I’m no lawyer, but it seems illegal to me.

The current Covid restrictions set forth by the CDC states that students may decide for themselves whether to wear masks in class.

The teacher is clearly overstepping here by overruling what the CDC is saying.

Asking a question is a crime???

?

2 Likes

In Russia and the other China, yes.