Isn't it ironic?

By definition are all of these quotes really ironic???

The average cost of rehabilitating a seal after the Exxon Valdez oil spill in Alaska was $80,000. At a special ceremony, two of the most expensively-saved animals were released back into the wild amid cheers and applause from onlookers. A minute later they were both eaten by a killer whale.

A woman came home to find her husband in the kitchen, shaking frantically with what looked like a wire running from his waist towards the electric kettle. Intending to jolt him away from the deadly current she whacked him with a handy plank of wood by the back door, breaking his arm in two places. A shame, as he had merely been listening to his walkman.

Two animal rights protesters were protesting at the cruelty of sending pigs to a slaughterhouse in Bonn. Suddenly the pigs, all two thousand of them, escaped through a broken fence and stampeded, trampling the two hapless protesters to death.

And the last & best …
Iraqi terrorist, Khay Rahnajet, didn’t pay enough postage on a letter bomb. It came back with “return to sender” stamped on it. You guessed it, he opened it and said a fond farewell to his face.

“I expect to win it. Sit back, put your feet up in front of the TV, relax and enjoy it. Let me do the worrying - that’s what I get paid for.” - England manager Graham Taylor before the 1992 European championships. England didn’t win a game.
“I have always found strangers sexy.” - Hugh Grant, six months before he was arrested with stranger Divine Brown.
“I would not wish to be Prime Minister, dear.” - Margaret Thatcher in 1973.
“That rainbow song’s no good. Take it out.” - MGM memo after first showing of The Wizard Of Oz.
“You’d better learn secretarial skills or else get married.” - Modelling agency, rejecting Marilyn Monroe in 1944.
“Radio has no future.” “X-rays are clearly a hoax”. “The aeroplane is scientifically impossible.” - Royal Society president Lord Kelvin, 1897-9.
“You ought to go back to driving a truck.” - Concert manager, firing Elvis Presley in 1954.
“Forget it. No Civil War picture ever made a nickel.” - MGM executive, advising against investing in Gone With The Wind.
“Can’t act. Can’t sing. Slightly bald. Can dance a little.” - A film company’s verdict on Fred Astaire’s 1928 screen test.
“Very interesting, Whittle, my boy, but it will never work.” - Professor of Aeronautical Engineering at Cambridge, shown Frank Whittle’s plan for the jet engine.
“There will be one million cases of AIDS in Britain by 1991.” - World Health Organisation in a 1989 report. It over-estimated by 992,301 cases.
“The Beatles? They’re on the wane.” - The Duke of Edinburgh in Canada, 1965. They went on to produce a string of No 1s.
“The atom bomb will never go off - and I speak as an expert in explosives.” - U.S. Admiral William Leahy in 1945.
“All saved from Titanic after collision.” - New York Evening Sun, April 15 1912.
“Brain work will cause women to go bald.” - Berlin professor, 1914.
“Television won’t matter in your lifetime or mine.” - Radio Times editor Rex Lambert, 1936.
“Everything that can be invented has been invented.” - director of the US Patent Office, 1899.
“And for the tourist who really wants to get away from it all, safaris in Vietnam.” - Newsweek magazine, predicting popular holidays for the late 1960s.

A nice collection of urban legends! Most quotes either out of context or untrue. This collection of crap is in a hundred sites around the Net. Why are you wasting bandwidth to post it here?

Vorkosigan

Lighten up, Vorkosigan. Even if some of them are urban legends or untrue, they were entertaining. I, for one, enjoyed reading them.

No. :sunglasses:

[quote=“Vorkosigan”]A nice collection of urban legends! Most quotes either out of context or untrue. This collection of crap is in a hundred sites around the Net. Why are you wasting bandwidth to post it here?

Vorkosigan[/quote]

Why don’t you go and get a funny bone :smiling_imp:

maybe the only thing ironic is that all these quotes were posted as being ironic but infact aren’t - actually that’s not even ironic, it’s just stupid - but entertaining, to a person with a sense of humor that is!

Like them