Israeli navy in Suez Canal prepares for attack on Iran

[quote]Two Israeli missile class warships have sailed through the Suez Canal ten days after a submarine capable of launching a nuclear missile strike, in preparation for a possible attack on Iran’s nuclear facilities.

The deployment into the Red Sea, confirmed by Israeli officials, was a clear signal that Israel was able to put its strike force within range of Iran at short notice. It came before long-range exercises by the Israeli air force in America later this month and the test of a missile defence shield at a US missile range in the Pacific Ocean.

“This is preparation that should be taken seriously. Israel is investing time in preparing itself for the complexity of an attack on Iran. These manoeuvres are a message to Iran that Israel will follow up on its threats,” an Israeli defence official said.

It is believed that Israel’s missile-equipped submarines, and its fleet of advanced aircraft, could be used to strike at in excess of a dozen nuclear-related targets more than 800 miles from Israel.
timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w … 715412.ece

[/quote]

:astonished:

Settle down Israel. Haven’t the poor Iranians been through enough? Obama is not on your side like Bush was, Canada gives lip service but we aren’t going to do anything.
Are Israelis just suicidal or what gives?

[quote=“Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer”][quote]Two Israeli missile class warships have sailed through the Suez Canal ten days after a submarine capable of launching a nuclear missile strike, in preparation for a possible attack on Iran’s nuclear facilities.

The deployment into the Red Sea, confirmed by Israeli officials, was a clear signal that Israel was able to put its strike force within range of Iran at short notice. It came before long-range exercises by the Israeli air force in America later this month and the test of a missile defence shield at a US missile range in the Pacific Ocean.

“This is preparation that should be taken seriously. Israel is investing time in preparing itself for the complexity of an attack on Iran. These manoeuvres are a message to Iran that Israel will follow up on its threats,” an Israeli defence official said.

It is believed that Israel’s missile-equipped submarines, and its fleet of advanced aircraft, could be used to strike at in excess of a dozen nuclear-related targets more than 800 miles from Israel.

[/quote]

Settle down Israel. Haven’t the poor Iranians been through enough? Obama is not on your side like Bush was, Canada gives lip service but we aren’t going to do anything.
Are Israelis just suicidal or what gives?[/quote]

Somehow I doubt if the Israelis (or anybody else in the world) were counting on Canadian support.

How is it suicidal? Iran is unable to strike Israel with the exception of Hezbollah’s rockets from Lebanon, which are basically a nuisance and nothing more.

[quote=“MikeN”][quote=“Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer”][quote]Two Israeli missile class warships have sailed through the Suez Canal ten days after a submarine capable of launching a nuclear missile strike, in preparation for a possible attack on Iran’s nuclear facilities.

[/quote]

Somehow I doubt if the Israelis (or anybody else in the world) were counting on Canadian support.

How is it suicidal? Iran is unable to strike Israel with the exception of Hezbollah’s rockets from Lebanon, which are basically a nuisance and nothing more.[/quote]

I think Iran has a few more weapons than that. Why else would Israel consider them a threat?
And i just mean that Canada is the last friend Israel has left. They are dreaming if they think Obama is going to do anything at all other than issue a strongly worded statement :roflmao: , Europe is angry for their antics in Gaza and doesn’t care, and the rest of the world cares even less.

And you think the Israelis care?

[quote=“Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer”][quote]Two Israeli missile class warships have sailed through the Suez Canal ten days after a submarine capable of launching a nuclear missile strike, in preparation for a possible attack on Iran’s nuclear facilities.
{…}

[/quote]

Committing mass murder on Palestinian civilians and an unwillingness to live peacefully with its neighbors is a sign that they are.

Here’s a question nobody else is asking here: Why the hell are the Egyptians letting the Israelis through? What are other nations going to do, invade Egypt to control the canal? They could tell Israel to go the long way around; instead, they’re cowering.

And perhaps that article should read “Israel’s nuclear armed missiles” since Mordechai Vanunu proved to the world that Israel has 150-200 nuclear weapons, unlike Iran, who have none…and none of Israel’s nukes are legal under the “non-proliferation treaty”, nor have any of Israel’s facilities been inspected by the IAEA, again, unlike Iran’s.

Israel considers Iran a threat because they are afraid that sometime in the next few years Iran will build a nuclear weapon and a missile capable of delivering it. What they’re considering is a pre-emptive attack, just like they did on Iraq’s nuclear program.

from sleepyhead

Nope, under the treaties covering the canal Egypt is required to allow free passage of all shipping, including warships.

As to Egypt, I would imagine that it and all the other Sunni states are secretly supportive and would like to see an Israeli strike to take out Iran’s nuclear sites.

Sorry, just saw this. Besides a strongly worded statement, what is Canada capable of doing exactly? Is there something that I am missing out on here?

Sorry, just saw this. Besides a strongly worded statement, what is Canada capable of doing exactly? Is there something that I am missing out on here?[/quote]

Canada is a country that has a lot more international clout with western nations than Iran, Pakistan, Syria, etc. Militarily we can’t do much but diplomatically, we can at least let the world know that we don’t support the annhiliation of Israel. Sanctions, etc.

At least they aren’t doing this to Harper…

Surely, this is stating the obvious?

So in other words a strongly worded statement?

Ah the all-powerful etc. That is sure to work wonders.

I just hope the Israeli Foreign Legion, aka the U.S. Army, is going to be allowed to sit this one out.

Sorry, just saw this. Besides a strongly worded statement, what is Canada capable of doing exactly? Is there something that I am missing out on here?[/quote]

Canada is a country that has a lot more international clout with western nations than Iran, Pakistan, Syria, etc. Militarily we can’t do much but diplomatically, we can at least let the world know that we don’t support the annhiliation of Israel. Sanctions, etc.[/quote]
Canada is at best a muddling lower-rate middle power whose opinion is tolerated, yet never quite taken seriously. What else could or should one expect?

And Egypt is more likely than not going to rock any boats that might impinge the flow of American financial aid, which was reduced last year due to ‘security failures’ on the part of Egypt.

I hope Iran can put together a pre-emptive strike on Israel before war breaks out.

news.yahoo.com/s/mcclatchy/20090 … hy/3272283

[quote]One of the Israeli soldiers interviewed described the offensive was necessary.

“We did what we had to do,” he said. “The actual doing was a bit thoughtless. We were allowed to do anything we wanted. Who’s to tell us not to?”

One Israeli reservist said a brigade commander gave them stark orders as they were preparing for combat.

“He said something along the line of ‘Don’t let morality become an issue; that will come later,’” the soldier said. “He had this strange language: 'Leave the nightmares and horrors that will come up for later — now just shoot.”

“You felt like a child playing around with a magnifying glass, burning up ants,” another Israeli soldier said. “A 20-year-old kid should not be doing such things to people. . . . the guys were running a ‘Wild West’ scene: draw, cock, kill.”
[/quote]

I’m rooting for Iran.

jpost.com/servlet/Satellite? … 2FShowFull

[quote]In the Islamic Republic it is illegal to execute a young woman, regardless of her crime, if she is a virgin, he explained. Therefore a “wedding” ceremony is conducted the night before the execution: The young girl is forced to have sexual intercourse with a prison guard - essentially raped by her “husband.”

“I regret that, even though the marriages were legal,” he said.

Why the regret, if the marriages were “legal?”

“Because,” he went on, "I could tell that the girls were more afraid of their ‘wedding’ night than of the execution that awaited them in the morning. And they would always fight back, so we would have to put sleeping pills in their food. By morning the girls would have an empty expression; it seemed like they were ready or wanted to die.

“I remember hearing them cry and scream after [the rape] was over,” he said. “I will never forget how this one girl clawed at her own face and neck with her finger nails afterwards. She had deep scratches all over her.”
[/quote]

I have never been so disgusted as by the last paragraph I quoted. Please, let this be propaganda. :cry:

If only Israel would have the decency to self-destruct, then all “our” Middle East problems would be over! I mean, it’s all their fault. If they would just be nice to the Palestinians, then all those Arabs would just let them be and there’d be no more war or military tension.

Still rooting for Iran?

I wonder how you can bomb nuclear reactors and uranium enrichment facilities and avoid a Chernobyl-like aftermath. And then there’s the Strait of Hormuz through which 20% of the world’s crude oil passes. That’s likely to be choked off if Iran is attacked. Will that send teetering world economies into a depression? And that’s not even taking into account the possibility Iraq with its now dominant Shiite majority might become unhinged again if co-religionist Iran is attacked.

Lastly there’s the pivotal innocent Iranian virgin angle. Hundreds of them are likely to be sent to paradise without so much as a trial if Iran is attacked because many nuclear facilities are in populated areas.

It all sounds both suicidal and homicidal if you think about it.

It’s one thing to have overwhelming military superiority (assuming they maintain that), but it’s another thing to never make any fuckups, and in a country the size of Israel, you don’t get any second chances. In countries that small, you don’t get a chance to win back the territory you lost.

I’m not exactly enamoured with Israel, but the rest of the region leaves me completely cold, especially the Palestinians whom I think are a political football, but who also don’t help themselves. I think most people hope the problem will sort itself out or go away, though realistically, we know that won’t be the case. So, I’m wondering what the long term plan is for Israel. It’s completely unsustainable without U.S. support, and even with continued U.S. support it’s not entirely a given that Israel’s existence is assured. Given that the rest of the region would gladly push every Jew into the sea, you have to wonder what Israel is playing at. I certainly can’t see that I’d want to live there knowing that the long term survival rate is close to zero. Why put yourself or your family through that just to prove a point?