Issue taiwanese citizens US territorials rights!

taiwan used to be part of dynastic china.
dynastic china “ceded” it to japan “in perpetuity.”
so, taiwan was of japan.
after WWII, japan was stripped of her pacific possessions by the allies.
ensuing treaties resolved each region, save one: taiwan.

if taiwan’s final status has yet to be resolved, doesn’t such imply that taiwan remains under the aegis of the US and the allies?

china always tells the US not to meddle in chinese affairs about HK, but never makes such assertations regarding taiwan. why doesn’t the PRC tell the US to butt out of 'chinese affairs" regarding taiwan? could such be because even china recognizes that the US “holds the papers to taiwan” legally?
the US houses don’t do foreign policy. it ain’t their area. but…the US houses of legislation have the “taiwan relations act.” how can the “taiwan relations act” be legal if taiwan is a foreign country? it seems to only make sense if taiwan is a defacto trust territory of the states.

as such, shouldn’t taiwanese be allowed to access the rights and benefits accorded to residents of other U.S. trust territories?

Well, we’ve dug up the old “White guy/Chinese girl” thread, why not the old SFPT thread while we’re at it?

The US makes no such claim to Taiwan, probably because it knows what would happen if it did make such a claim. The pro-independence crowd would hate it for obvious reasons, as would the pro-unification crowd. Neither the PRC nor the ROC were even at the conference and had no voice in the treaty the US and Japan signed in the 1950’s, well after the end of the war.

Ah, screw it. I could go on, but I’ll just say it’s a ludicrous idea and leave it at that. Argue to your heart’s content; the US government isn’t going to follow this line of argument.

Yawn

(sorry missing the emoticon for this thread! Hey Gus we need the yawn!)

happy to see that you are content. please continue your quest the perfect emoticon.

who would benefit such from a recognizition of taiwan’s actual status?
the US? no. china? no? the people on this island who have long been the chattle of other nations? yes.

you are correct, the US does not PUBLICLY make such claims. Do they deny that such a paper trail leads back to them? Would they dare?

would it benefit the residents of taiwan to have the rights/benefits accorded to people of the other trust territories? the people who i have
met from the marshall islands and yap were very happy indeed that uncle sam has been so…avuncular to them.

the people of taiwan merit the same rights and freedoms.

those of you who feel inclined may return discussing emoticons. maybe too much time counting guavas has induced a stupor over your logic skills.

[quote=“skeptic yank”]happy to see that you are content. please continue your quest the perfect emoticon.

who would benefit such from a recognizition of Taiwan’s actual status?
the US? no. China? no? the people on this island who have long been the chattle of other nations? yes.

you are correct, the US does not PUBLICLY make such claims. Do they deny that such a paper trail leads back to them? Would they dare?

would it benefit the residents of Taiwan to have the rights/benefits accorded to people of the other trust territories? the people who I have
met from the marshall islands and yap were very happy indeed that uncle sam has been so…avuncular to them.

the people of Taiwan merit the same rights and freedoms.

those of you who feel inclined may return discussing emoticons. maybe too much time counting guavas has induced a stupor over your logic skills.[/quote]
that’s chattel by the way.
um… were to US to make an assertion such as this, no matter its legality, it would only lead to war. you think the PRC would stand by idly and hold negotiations and talks about this question? It would be tantamount to invasion.

marshall islands, puerto rico and such are beneficiaries of federal aid. this creates a poor society hooked to social welfare programs. they aren’t gonna get very far that way. PR is one of the poorest places (albeit with some very rich people).

Treaties-schmeaties. No rights for them until we foreigners in Taiwan can get a phone without a guarantor, I say.

yes, china would be irate.
a US proclamation perhaps isn’t the smartest way to go, after all “taiwanese are smarter than foreigners.” taiwanese who hold US passports should exert their wishes through the US legal system. their unique dual citizenship allows them venues not available to westerners in taiwan. they could “dred scott” it, gradually build upon smaller victories creating a legal precedent. such would require forward thinking taiwanese with courage and integrity who wish to see a better future for their offspring other than the “historical inevitability” that china has dealt out.

if a larger proportion of taiwanese had “second options” rather than feeling helpless/doomed as many of them do perhaps they would feel invigorated about fighting for the future.

(thanks for the spelling tip. even though i misspelled the word, was it used properly?)

Uh, what happened to my post? It’s not in the flame or flounder forum.

iron lady,
it works both ways. are we really foreigners in taiwan?

notice, no one here yet has even attempted to disprove the assertation that taiwan is a de facto american territory. americans in american samoa have the same rights as the samoans.

I have no idea. Are you sure it was here?
–the moderator

[quote=“Poagao”] . . . . . why not the old SFPT thread while we’re at it?

The US makes no such claim to Taiwan, probably because it knows what would happen if it did make such a claim. The pro-independence crowd would hate it for obvious reasons, as would the pro-unification crowd. Neither the PRC nor the ROC were even at the conference and had no voice in the treaty the US and Japan signed in the 1950’s, well after the end of the war.

Ah, ****** it. I could go on, but I’ll just say it’s a ******** idea and leave it at that. Argue to your heart’s content; the US government isn’t going to follow this line of argument.[/quote]

Paogao doesn’t read the newspapers apparently. Why has the US continued to meddle in “Taiwanese internal affairs” for over 50 years?? And continues to do so in the present day?? Well the reason is simple. United States administrative authority over Taiwan is still active.

The US government does follow this line of argument. Open your eyes.

if the people of taiwan would seek clarification they could find relief. they would realize that china is too smart to go to war with a territory of her brother-in-development, the US. the threat of the boogie man looming over their heads for the last 50 years would vanish. so, do the people of taiwan have the cojones to seek out the truth and live in the light? sometimes IT is easier to live afraid, as such decides alot of life’s hard choices for you.