It it legal for us foreigners to stick our noses in Taiwan politics? or will that get us deported?

The Chinese Nationalists party asset was NT$600B at 1998. During 2001-2008, The Chinese Nationalists sold NT$339B worth of stock.
I hope this gives you a good idea the magnitude of money we’re talking about.

This old canary. There is massive open fiddling of state resources all over Taiwan.
ever wonder who gets to control the tenders on all those abandoned army bases all over Taiwan? How about companies like Taiwan sugar or Taiwan match. The problem is way bigger than the KMT’s assets although it’s an important question too. what about all those old generals houses dotted around Taipei? I know several just near my office in Taipeis commercial district. No signs, sometimes empty plots, sometimes inhabited by very low key. Who owns those houses and the associated land now?

I remember a thread a week ago where someone asked if it’s ok for foreigners to campaign to legalize marijuana. Someone posted a link about a group in Taiwan with this aim who is getting nowhere because Taiwanese are too conservative. I can’t find the thread at all and was wondering if it got merged or something.

I just wanted to weight in on such a group. I felt asking for full on legalization may be too much. But what about asking to downgrade it from a category 2 to 3? It would reduce penalties associated with it and it seems like a better compromise for the time being. Not to mention it could open up doors for medical use…

Just saying it’s better to get something than nothing.

That type of change would come from the biotech/healthcare industries and would need to come from the usual channels, position papers.

But big daddy US says weed is bad so unlikely Taiwan would anger big daddy

I’m a little confused by the thread title. Are you encouraging foreigners to be cannabis activists in Taiwan? That would be a really bad idea. You’re a local though, right? Maybe you can help move the needle.

3 Likes

@Taiwan_Luthiers I would highly suggest visiting your MP and finding other Taiwanese who think alike to visit theirs. They have the power to change this.

1 Like

Instead of getting all our NT$5 asses busted by association…

I recommend a change in this title’s thread, since it’s about one specific issue, not political activism in general. [other thread moved here]

The short answer is, as “petition” is free speech and not “work” for purposes of immigration and labor/employment law, you do have the right to suggest changes in law.

Optics matter, though. :eye:

Previous threads of interest:

[s]https://tw.forumosa.com/t/it-it-legal-for-us-foreigners-to-stick-our-noses-in-taiwan-politics-or-will-that-get-us-deported/82214[/s]

3 Likes

My relative was running for mayor of the village. I asked several departments if I could March along with them and pass out leaflets. They said no problem as long as I don’t stand on and stand on podiums and speak.
Frankly as a matter of respect, we should stay out of politics unless of course it affects our direct working, residential and other civil-rights from the context marrying into a family here and raising citizen children.
Other than that we have no business telling other people how to live their lives in their own country until we become citizens.

1 Like

a group of foreigners are out protesting to legalize weed in taiwan? surely that is a terrible idea. the opium wars are still fresh in peoples memory. please have some common sense.

2 Likes

I remember a big thread about this on r/taiwan not long ago. Could have been the same person posting. The overall response seemed to range from “No” to “I don’t care.”

Thing is, campaigning like that - especially since it involves an illegal substance - could get a lot of foreigners in trouble at work.

That’s not how freedom of speech works. Good ideas can come from inside and out.

3 Likes

Years ago I was told by the Foreign Affairs Police (that’ll give you some idea how long ago it was) that I could attend a protest against nuclear dumping in Taitung because it was an environmental protest and I had young kids who were ROC citizens and I could take part as their proxy. They also told me I couldn’t take part in partisan political demonstrations because that was me as a foreigner interfering in current events. I have no idea if this was true, or they made it up on the spot, but I went to those demos and other events protesting illegal construction of a hotel on a local beach without any problems.

Please don’t be racist, thank you

Isn’t political activism by foreigners in Taiwan illegal? Doing so will get you deported. At least that’s how it used to be…

Racist? Citizens have rights on how internal things are varied out over non citizens. People who have legal family ties or have put in the time to get the APARC have slightly more rights than the migrant or short term worker. How is this racist? If I renounce my citizenship, improve my Chinese and pass the test I would be a white citizen.
I am hearing that some local citizens are tired of foreign melding in the carrying out of religious traditions and other things. No one while fulfilling family obligations or performing rites wants a lecture. If we foreigners push against the locals, it makes it more difficult for us to win Rights.

:sweat_smile: That was during martial law. And, she came back.

By the way, Arrigo’s son was my counselor in Taiwanese-American Youth Camp.

For example?

nosy these fellows