Italian Foods We Love

Seen at a lot at the Dollars Hypermart, good prices for imports! They recently have other Italian imports I like too

1 Like

Is Dollars Hypermart a chain the south? I don’t think I have seen one in Taipei.

Guy

2 Likes

Not sure where other stores are. The is bigger, so it would harder to find space to fit in. Also like Costco is better suited for people with a car which Taipei people use less. (You have more smaller luxury markets than us, so still good choices) Nice place, but i always spend more than I plan even though the prices are lower.

I wanted this, (my somewhat luxury fish in a tin), got a lot more as I saw the frozen cakes at half the price of the small fish.

3 Likes

Alici, anchovies. Very good, they are preserved in olive oil. Mind they might be a bit salty, eat with bread and butter to fight the sapidity.

1 Like

CAMOMILLAAAAAA. i.e. chamomile. Bonomelli is probably the most famous brand, the filtrofiore means they use actual entire flowers in the teabag, not grounded ones.

3 Likes

They are great brand.
Or on pizza with jalapeños :ok_hand:

Salty is what I want haha. I eat with a Japanese twist (or maybe my preference) with rice. In Taiwan some Japanese topping that are salty are sweet (to fit Taiwanese tastes), so sometimes miss something salty with nice. The salt and oil, maybe not too healthy though.

1 Like

I like salty too, some don’t. The bread, butter and anchovies is one of the most traditional snacks of Piemonte, my home region in Italy.

Anchovies are such a healthy fish though, rich of good stuff.

4 Likes

Its great, big difference from other brands

2 Likes

Curious, how much do these cost in Italy? Carefour sometimes sells their own branded ones in Taiwan, but its not the same but being 1/3 cost sometimes I buy.

Like that box is around 2-3€

1 Like

More, got dumplings & extras

Potato gnocchi, very nice. Best made with ragù or walnut pesto. Very basic with tomato sauce and some cubes of mozzarella, then oven baked (kinda sorrentina gnocchi)

1 Like

I will try add walnuts to Pesto since I guess can find pre made ones

wait, misunderstanding.

Walnut pesto is not pesto with walnuts, walnut pesto is a pesto, so a sauce made with ground walnuts, oil, some breadcrumbs and a bit of garlic. There is no basil.

If you want to enrich your pesto (the basil one), you can make a pesto alla ligure, i.e. adding diced potatoes and green beans when the pasta is cooking, draining that and then saute’ them (not on fire) with some oil and basil pesto.

4 Likes

haha, thanks! Learn something new every day!

1 Like

Never tried anchovies with butter. I take note of it.

A classic bocadillo or tapa in Spain is anchovies with cheese (Manchego or similar; or something lighter if you don’t like the super salty flavour). With or without fresh tomatoes.

1 Like

I had another snack in the airline lounge (HKG)

That Peroni is fake, is not the real one. It’s only for export and resembles more the nastro azzurro beer (indeed u can still see the name below). I don’t like that at all.

The real peroni comes with red label and brown bottle, it is among the cheapest beers u buy (otherwise called workers’ beer) and I love it.

Would not have a cannolo with beer though. And have no clue what’s inside the glass.

3 Likes

Interesting, I’ve never seen one of those. The export one is a plain lager, but it’s not so bad