Italy vs. McDonald's

I know that right-wing Americans will find the sneering and triumphalist tone off-putting, but that’s neither here nor there in this case. This is the kind of story that makes you feel that there is still hope for the world.

[quote]“What took place was a small war between us and McDonald’s,” said Onofrio Pepe, a retired journalist who founded an association here devoted to local delicacies. “Our bullets were focaccia. And sausage. And bread. It was a peaceful war, without any spilling of blood.”

Mr. Pepe and several like-minded citizens of Altamura, a city of 65,000 residents, made up one wing of the army. They say they fought largely for pride and for their food, which includes a local mushroom called the cardoncello, focaccia, mozzarella and, most of all, a coarse-grain bread famous for millennia around Italy. The bread is protected as unique in European Union regulations, which note that Horace called it, in 37 B.C., “far the best bread to be had, so good that the wise traveler takes a supply of it for his onward journey.”

When the McDonald’s first opened in early 2001, Mr. Pepe said, he was not opposed to it, and even welcomed the 25 or so jobs it created. “In the beginning,” he said, “it seemed like modernization.”

Then the modern seemed to take over: McDonald’s erected the huge arches on a pole near the old town center, jarringly near the 13th century cathedral, beaming yellow neon 24 hours a day (and disturbing, Mr. Pepe said, little falcons that nested in nearby trees).

“It gave the sense of a city being occupied,” he said. “It was considered a sort of challenge. Not a challenge to confront in anger but with a smile. They brought in their products, and we had ours.”

The Bread Is Famously Good, but It Killed McDonald’s[/quote]

Christ, the New York Times must be running really low on life stories. This baker is just an Italian “Bove,” albeit slightly more peaceful. :smiling_imp:

Another anti-American anti-MacDonalds story. Yawn. Yawn. Yawn.

Wow amazing how capitalism works :slight_smile: if you don

I dunno if being anti-McDonald is being Anti-American.

They are everywhere, their places look ugly and plastic-like (only in NeiHu they stand out as fairly nice looking) and their food has almost no taste.

I love Burger King though. Barbecue flavour, hmmm…

EDIT: of course every victory against the CocaCola-McDonalds-Bush-FredSmith empire is a good one :rainbow:

[quote=“purple people eaters”]Wow amazing how capitalism works :slight_smile: if you don

Has the word pizza been copyrighted/patented by the Euros yet?

But… I saw this TV documentary about an American starting with a single restaurant (of BurgerKing) and then growing in California or such ???

[quote=“Chewycorns”]Christ, the New York Times must be running really low on life stories. This baker is just an Italian “Bove,” albeit slightly more peaceful.

Another anti-American anti-MacDonalds story. Yawn. Yawn. Yawn.[/quote]
I think the yawner here is your automatonically right wing reaction. I’m not totally convinced that your whole arch-conservative schtick isn’t a complete piss-take. Still, bullshit is bullshit, so I’ll call you on three points:

1. Bove vandalized and destroyed a branch of McDonald’s in France. Luca Digesu opened a bakery next door to a McDonald’s in this little town in Italy, and drove it out of business. By what reckoning does that make make Mr. Digesu only “slightly more peaceful” than Mr. Bove? Or is a man reading a newspaper on a park bench only “slightly more peaceful” than a thug beating up an old lady and stealing her purse behind a tree?

2. The “food” McDonald’s peddles is trash by even the most rudimentary measures of taste and nutrition. It is vile garbage. The people in this town in Italy didn’t like the golden arches for multiple reasons, but instead of vandalizing Mr. D’s this baker dude convinced people that for the same price they could get traditional “fast food” which tasted, not surprisingly, far better. As such, they put a branch of a big corporation out of business “without even trying.” As far as I can tell, not too many other places in the world have managed to do this, so it’s certainly news.

3. Being “anti-McDonald’s” is without doubt an eminently rational position to take. However, where the manifestations of that position have usually been irrational (viz Bove), these people in Italy were smart: they cleverly helped their neighbours to realize that the proverbial emperor had no clothes. Again, this is newsworthy.

PP, I don’t know what the hell this has to do with any polictical ideology???

Don’t be disingenuous, Mr. Smith.

It was owned by a British corporation for about 14 years. British mismanagement almost put them out of business. BK was sold to an American investment group…around 2003.

[quote=“porcelainprincess”]
2. The “food” McDonald’s peddles is trash by even the most rudimentary measures of taste and nutrition. It is vile garbage. [/quote]

Well…I guess not everyone shares your gourmet opinion.

Why is that PP? Scoring one for the little man is great but to be anti-McDonalds because their good at business is weak. The Italian business owner succeeded because he understood this.

Why is that PP? Scoring one for the little man is great but to be anti-McDonalds because their good at business is weak. The Italian business owner succeeded because he understood this.[/quote]
It’s not because they’re good at business. It’s because they sell vomitous foodstuffs that people buy only because they’re good at business. My anti-McDonald’s position is not Bovine, to coin a partially contradictory pun. I’m not a leftwinger, and don’t want to see legislation to close them down. Rather, what gives me hope for humanity is that the Italians in that town shut them down the right way…they convinced people that the emperor had no clothes (sorry, the cliche is simply too apt to avoid repeating).

My prediction is that along with all the salads, McDonald’s will eventually offer a healthy enough menu that Morgan Spurlock would not wake up with chest pains were he to do his little stunt ten years in the future. We North Americans have always had shitty food, but societal pressure is such that eventually things will improve. Somewhat, anyway. Being in the trenches (smaller town in Ontario), I applaud the victories where I see them.

They opened a McD’s a few years ago in the small town near where my parents live and the same thing happened – a local guy opened a bakery selling homemade fast food. McD’s tried to sue, got told by the court to fuck off and stop wasting their time. People bought the homemade fast food becasue it was cheaper and much much better. Goodbye Mickey. Good riddance.

[quote=“Comrade Stalin”][quote=“porcelainprincess”]
2. The “food” McDonald’s peddles is trash by even the most rudimentary measures of taste and nutrition. It is vile garbage. [/quote]

Well…I guess not everyone shares your gourmet opinion.[/quote]

Yes, that is weird. Apparently hundreds of millions of people can actually stomach McDonald’s, erm, “food”. Enjoy it, prefer it over real food, even. This is one of those mysteries of life I cannot comprehend.

I admit that I sometimes eat McDonald’s food, but only when I am on the run and need to stuff something quick down my throat.

Can you clarify you answer a little more? Below is how I broke it down but I think I forgot to carry a 1 somewhere.

Not Good at business + Vomitous Food + People Still Buy Vomitous = because they

Ironically I could probably count on one hand the amount of times each year I went to McDonalds in the States because there are some many choices besides McDonalds for fast food. Probably miss Chipotle the most though. Anybody have it before? Awesome fresh Mex/American food :stuck_out_tongue:

Can you clarify you answer a little more? Below is how I broke it down but I think I forgot to carry a 1 somewhere.

Not Good at business + Vomitous Food + People Still Buy Vomitous = because they

I like McDonalds.
Especially when the fries are really hot.
I’m going there right now, and I’ll catch up on this when I get back.