It's 2019, Does Taiwan Still Produce the Worst Beer in Asia?

Awesome Taiwan craft beer.

4 Likes

There’s definitely some decent Taiwanese craft brews popping up these days.

3 Likes

The gold label stuff is not bad… actually more annoyed with some (not all) of the local craft brew stuff. Seems like they’re all fruity, even the ones which are not labelled/designed to be fruity. Fruit tea is fine, fruit beer sucks

2 Likes

this one is damn tasty

6 Likes

Taiwan beer tends to sell off its new good recipes to other breweries. They have come out with really good ones over the years. Even dark beer. But they sell it off to others.

Tsingtao here is in Pingtung. Without getting into to detail they are in the AG/pork game. Enough said. The bosses there are real ass holes to boot.

I don’t know whether it’s locally produced, but that 9.9% long island ice tea beer is as disgusting as it sounds. There, I’ve warned you.

1 Like

What’s next, a Bloody Mary beer?

1 Like

I like Taiwan beer. I try to support the local brand.

3 Likes

Taiwan beer gives me seriously bad splitting headaches unfortunately.

I like bottled Taiwan beer both the green and brown. I like the taste in the hot summers.

It has been said that they include formaldehyde as a preservative. I’m sure it’s bullshit though :slight_smile:

It did in the old days , such terrible hang overs I remember them half a century later.

2 Likes

the old school one gave me a couple. i avoid that.

Its Cobalt!

"Clinicians discovered that breweries in both Omaha and Quebec started adding cobalt sulfate to the beer to stabilize the foam. This practice was employed to counter issues with beer foam dissipation in inadequately cleaned glasses due to poor rinsing of detergent by the bar staff (yet another issue). "

I was strangely reminded of this clip from way back

A lot of taste thing is subjective.

If you had only beers brewed in western countries or japan then you’re used to those beers, then you’re not going to like Taiwan beer because well, they’re foreign to you. But I never heard Taiwanese people complain about Taiwan beer taste.

This is a truism. Tastes are developed when young. However, many local specialties remain local for a reason just as there’s a reason why other specialties become global brands.

1 Like

A lot of that happens because of soft power and promotions.

Much of the global brands never aspired to be global, people just happened to like them and possibly advertisements.

Plus Taiwan beer never had any reason to be global. They are a part of Taiwan’s beer monopoly after all.

Or, people just happened not to like them. My use of the word brand wasn’t the best choice. There are certain products that remain local for a reason. Taiwan beer is one of them.

1 Like

The beer market might be one of the hardest to break into. Even huge ones like Budweiser struggle breaking into local markets. It’s hard to imagine Taiwan beer will attempt to venture into another market when they basically hold a monopoly here and would be much wiser to invest money marketing in Taiwan.