It's a dangerous country

People, this is a dangerous crazy country.

Today it’s the second time in two years that my in-laws lose someone in a traffic accident.

Now it’s my mother in law. This morning when she went out to do some sports (she played croquet), the car she was in got hit by another vehicle.
Don’t know more than that though.

About two years ago my wife’s second brother got killed in a scooter accident. He got hit by two cars driving in opposit directions.

It’s a shock, even for a foreigner, son-in-law.

Sorry for posting this but I had to get it from my chest.

Very sorry to learn of this unfortunate news.

Sorry to hear that. My MIL is a sweetie, I’d be heartbroken if anything like that were to happen.

Sorry to hear this, Belgian Pie. Take care of yourself and your wife.

Damn man. I’m very sorry to hear this.

Hope the wife is able to deal ok. :frowning:

BP -
My sincerest condolences to you & your wife.
This is very sad news.

take care of yourselves … me MIL is invaluable right now with the new baby.

maybe best advice i can offer is to help your wife with all the preps that need to be made - even paper folding for the things they burn will help her to know you are there for her.

Thanks all for your kind replies.

You know, at times like this people tend to regret, regret things they have done or haven’t, things they said or haven’t said. It’s not different in my case. My regret is that I couldn’t communicate with her as my chinese is still very poor and she could speak only Taiwanese. But I know that she wanted me to feel like home every time we visited her. Mostly she bought me some sashimi, only for me, nobody else could take a piece.

I also in a way regret that I didn’t fulfill her wish that we have children, but I didn’t feel ready back than and I don’t feel ready at this moment. So this is a thing I couldn’t give her.
Having a business like ours doesn’t give us the time for children I believe.
Maybe I should geive it a thought before I’m too old though.

As for the preps for the funeral, I guess I’ve to pass this one, the family is quite big and I’ve our business to run, which will be really difficult without my wife for the next week or so.

You see, even In Taiwan you’re dropped in real life once in a while. As she was of reasonable age already I always tried to prepare for a moment like this, but you can’t.

Many times I told myself that I wanted to stay in Taiwan until my wifes mother passed away so it would easier for my wife to move to Europe and not getting homesick.
So…maybe this the sign for me to leave Taiwan, however I’m not finished doing what I wanted to do.

Perhaps shouldn’t have posted my regrets but in times like these people need to blow of steam.

What keeps me busy though is the way the accident happend, no-one told me anything more than that she had an accident.

Should go now, join the family in grieving.

Thanks again.

It’s even worce than I was told this morning. She wasn’t in a car, I was wondering already because I know where she goes to practice.

It turns out that it’s a hit and run case. The car must have hit her head on while she was waiting along the street for someone to join her.

She had fatale internal injuries and cracked skull.

In Taiwan everything goes sometimes so fast. Everything was almost set-up at her home for the grieving and funeral thing. It just happend this morning around 4 o’clock. Now they are waiting for some governement guys to investigate the body or something.
They put her on dry ice my wife told me.

Something else, is it superstition…things like this always happen when one of her nieces goes abroad to study French in Paris. Last time when she went my wifes brother (her uncle) got hit and killed. Now it’s her grandmother. Is there a conection?

Anyone knows something about this; My wife just told me that you can’t spill tears on the body, otherwise it won’t go …? Well… I couldn’t quite make anything out of what she was saying.

[quote=“belgian pie”]It’s even worce than I was told this morning. She wasn’t in a car, I was wondering already because I know where she goes to practice.

It turns out that it’s a hit and run case. The car must have hit her head on while she was waiting along the street for someone to join her.

She had fatale internal injuries and cracked skull.

in Taiwan everything goes sometimes so fast. Everything was almost set-up at her home for the grieving and funeral thing. It just happend this morning around 4 o’clock. Now they are waiting for some governement guys to investigate the body or something.
They put her on dry ice my wife told me.

Something else, is it superstition…things like this always happen when one of her nieces goes abroad to study French in Paris. Last time when she went my wifes brother (her uncle) got hit and killed. Now it’s her grandmother. Is there a conection?

Anyone knows something about this; My wife just told me that you can’t spill tears on the body, otherwise it won’t go …? Well… I couldn’t quite make anything out of what she was saying.[/quote]

M.
Best thing to do now is to step back and let the funeral take over. When my father in law died a few years back,there were many odd things that needed doing. I just did them. Take care of your wife. Bake some bread.

Peace.

jds

I’m so sorry to here this. I have to attend a funeral tomorrow for a distant uncle of my wife’s and your message has reiterated my own feelings that life here is too often a precarious balancing act.

My condolences, bp.

Things like this get my dander up. Even in the supposed “safer” Taipei city, I’ve noticed the streets getting more dangerous lately. Cars and motorcycles running red lights and driving recklessly, often in broad daylight, are now commonplace. Is mayor Ma too busy running for KMT chairman that everyday civic affairs are neglected? Has anybody else noticed fewer cops on the street pulling people over or just directing traffic, as compared to the time when Chen Shui-bian was mayor? One advice: stand as far away from the road as possible when you’re waiting to cross the street. You just never know when a drunk driver might careen on to the sidewalk.

Belgian pie,

I’m very sad to hear this piece of news. I wish your family all the best slowly but surely.

I’m very sorry about your loss.

That is just horrible news and I feel so badly for you and your family. Especially because she was supposed to be out to enjoy herself, and it’s a hit and run…???

I couldn’t imagine having even minor accident and then just keep going, hoping nobody catches me…but to hit a pedestrian knowing there’s a very good chance you’ve killed them AND keep driving? It is just the lowest thing a person could ever do.

I know this happens in Canada and the U.S. but certainly not with the frequency it does here. I would love to see someone take Mayor Ma to task on the horrid state of things on the roads here. When I see people running red lights without the slightest hint at slowing…cars and scooters routinely cutting off others at full speed…and the plethora of other routine dangerous driving…I just wanna take those people and throttle them.

Again, sorry for your loss and I hope the driver is brought to justice.

Sad news indeed…

Condolences to you and your family BelgianPie…