It's about time: Interesting Changes at AIT

The new Director at AIT Therese Shaheen seems to have some low tolerance for the typical mantra we’ve been hearing the past few years regarding business in Taiwan and China.

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003071696

This story definitely put a smile on my face (I even wrote my Congresswoman supporting what Shaheen said). Shame that the article didn’t report on the Chamber of Commerce’s reaction.

And the headline isn’t accurate–but typical for the Taipei Times.

Your thoughts, everyone?

[quote=“Dahudze”]The new Director at AIT Therese Shaheen seems to have some low tolerance for the typical mantra we’ve been hearing the past few years regarding business in Taiwan and China.

taipeitimes.com/News/Taiwan/ … 2003071696

This story definitely put a smile on my face (I even wrote my Congresswoman supporting what Shaheen said). Shame that the article didn’t report on the Chamber of Commerce’s reaction.

And the headline isn’t accurate–but typical for the Taipei Times.

Your thoughts, everyone?[/quote]

Both the banks in China and Taiwan could use a shakeup. The NPLs in this place are pretty bad. but then again so is Japan’s banking situation.

While she might be right on some of the China hype, which taiwan brains is she referring to?

Yeah she spoke out, but maybe next week she’ll be out of a job… I hope not, it’s good to know at least someone has the guts to say something.

So in the China Post article today, she is said to be urging Taiwan to improve its defenses against China. of course, with a plug for US arms sales. ahh true motives.

Kenny McCormick wrote

China has been upping it’s preparations for an invasion over the past few years, conducting more mock-invasion exercises, building up it’s naval fleet, and installing more missiles aimed at Taiwan.

True motives, indeed.

I am continually interested - why is it when you go to Taiwan or Chinese embassy or consulate in a foreign country - it is almost entirely populated by Chinese employees - and when you go to a foreign embassy in China or Taiwan - almost everyone who works there is Chinese.

On the not-so-bright side, according to this immigration law site, some who worked at AIT in the early to mid 90s may be in for some problems.

“A former director of the American Institute in Taiwan (AIT) has filed a whistleblower lawsuit in which he accuses employees there of selling US visas and keeping the fees.”
voy.com/113223/208.html

This isn’t too hard to figure out. How many non-ethnic-Chinese are out there who speak fluent Chinese and would like to work at an embassy?

[quote=“scomargo”]
This isn’t too hard to figure out. How many non-ethnic-Chinese are out there who speak fluent Chinese and would like to work at an embassy?[/quote]

Me, but AIT doesn’t want me. :cry:

Maybe they think you are a termite exterminator.

[quote]Wood ordered the audit shortly after becoming the director. He says that this is when the problems first began. AIT employees refused to turn over financial records to the auditors, telling them that they had been eaten by termites.¨
[/quote]