It's all in the wrist

seems almost demystifying but when it comes to Tai-Chi, I’ve discovered that like so many other sporting endeavors or physical pursuits it apparently is still ‘all in the wrist’. Well, long before you otherwise realize it’s all in a lot of other places too, but the wrist is an awfully good starting point.

What I found to be most surprising and enlightening (on the slightly disturbing side) is that the limp wrist holds the key (if only it could) to the deeper self, the path way to perfect balance, which is the essential element of Tai-Chi.

Others might have discovered the path in the horse pose, the breathing, the power of moving from the waist, but for me it seems that the limp wrist best cornered what I some how imagine would have been an unnettable phantom of comprehension. And from there, I’ve entered the world of balance.

Loose from the waist up, I fight minions of dynastic warriors from the north, south, east, and west as I protect my turf in an all conquering act of precision movements. And this is not a once off. It is a “Ground Hog Day” level of repetition where the ending is the beginning of another day.

And I wonder with all this why balance is so underrated in religion, why the epiphany, the ecstatic, rapture and euphoria, which surely firm the wrist, guide our mortal hands.

I really love your mind, Fox.

[quote=“Fox”]Seems almost demystifying but when it comes to Tai-Chi, I’ve discovered that like so many other sporting endeavors or physical pursuits it apparently is still all in the wrist. Well, long before you other wise realize it’s all in a lot of other places too, but the wrist is an awfully good starting point.

What I found to be most surprising and enlightening (on the slightly disturbing side) is that the limp wrist holds the key (if only it could) to the deeper self, the path way to perfect balance, which is the essential element of Tai-Chi.

Others might have discovered the path in the horse pose, the breathing, the power of moving from the waist, but for me it seems that the limp wrist best cornered what I some how imagine would have been an unnettable phantom of comprehension. And from there I’ve entered the world of balance.

Loose from the waist up, I fight minions of dynastic warriors from the north, south, east, and west as I protect my turf in an all conquering act of precision movements. And this is not a once off, it is a “Ground Hog Day” level of repetition where the ending is the beginning of another day.

And I wonder with all this why balance is so underrated in religion, why the epiphany, the ecstatic, rapture and euphoria which surely firm the wrist guide our mortal hands.[/quote]

“Be like water”
Bruce Lee

I remember once trying to raise one foot slowly and for a long time, and wobbling as ever.

“Keep your balance,” quoth Master Ming. “Clench your buttocks. Imagine you are drawing a long pole up your bottom using your internal muscles.”

It worked.

The key to balance, the essence of Taiji, is “suck it up your arse.”

I kid you not.

[quote=“Loretta”]I remember once trying to raise one foot slowly and for a long time, and wobbling as ever.

“Keep your balance,” quoth Master Ming. “Clench your buttocks. Imagine you are drawing a long pole up your bottom using your internal muscles.”

It worked.

The key to balance, the essence of Taiji, is “suck it up your arse.”

I kid you not.[/quote]

Taiji had suddenly lost ALL of it’s appeal. :noway:

Thanks house cat. My mind, however, is mostly a cesspool.

I was thinking of calling it 'Sucking it up the arse" but then I realized the first line would have only reached out to a very limited audience of two, namely Loretta and Master Ming.

Sucking it up the arse seems almost demystifying but when it comes to Tai-chi…

Practicing Tai-Chi every day does make you wonder about the role of balance in Chinese cultural heritage and in our lives in general. It seems to me to be a perfect place to focus ones mind. Do we have similar arts in the west? Similar practices where the sole purpose is to find balance? It is prevalent in our sports with expressions like being in the zone, but it seems to rest there and what we take from sport is the glory, the victories, the tragic losses, the team and social aspects but instead what we ought really be concerned with, as individuals, is the zone. The other aspects are impostors, philosophically at least the Chinese seem to understand this well.

In which case ‘sucking it up the arse’ might be the very best way to manage such impostors and open the mind to the possibility that balance is where it is at for cool cats.