It's Newbie Season in Taiwan

I’m waiting for them to get upset because they are a foreigner and people keep reminding them of the fact. :wink:

2 Likes

Here you go:

I don’t even get it. Why? Do we have rabies?

1 Like

That’s the discussion on that thread.
Try asking there, people may have an idea… :wink:

I fit this newbie stereotype, along with many others, totally. Me in Taipei :heart_eyes: but yeah I do find the travel vlogging culture annoying. Expect a lot of crappy videos about how everyone in Taiwan wants to retake the mainland and dominate the South China sea or some crap about river pollution.

Never had a problem with being pointed out as a foreigner. One really small kid literally pointed at me and said “Foreigner!” - his mother was apologetic. I thought it was great! I prefer that to how some groups like the Japanese tend to silently feel nervous around you.

2 Likes

By the way, what’s 228? Is it like 7-Eleven?

/sarcasm

Traditionally on Forumosa, this topic was usually referred to as “where can I find cream cheese.”

There were no newbs, just fobs.

2 Likes

There is one across the street open on that day.

You don’t want the guy plucking his toe cheese from his feet sitting next to you!

1 Like

Try it every day for 18 years.

7 Likes

Recently noticed quite a few guys walking around videoing the streets and sights. I also notice they frequently turn the camera away from me so their video gives the impression that there aren’t many foreigners.

Makes the video seem more exotic and new.

3 Likes

I’m noticing a lot of fresh curious faces in Taipei last few weeks.

And small groups of them at tourist attractions or doing tourist activities.

Social media a lot of them talking about doing their quarantine in Taiwan or discovering something that seems new and exciting in taiwan.

Lot of them complaining about Taiwan weather even calling it something like bipolar. Ha that’s an understatement.

4 Likes

Taiwanese people are so nice!

4 Likes

And they love visitors (who are not from China ) more

In a city of millions how you know these are fresh faces

Is the latest Tik-Tok challenge to do quarantine in Taiwan?

Night markets are FAMOUS! And full of DELICIOUS snacks!

3 Likes

Have you tried Taiwanese chewing gum?

1 Like

Experience.

And they say it

If so, thank goodness! It’s lovely to see enthusiasm - especially when it becomes contagious, and I become a bit less jaded.

4 Likes