iTunes-iPod database management

So my Pod (4G, 20GB) is getting full, I got stuff I don’t want on there but I’d like to keep in my (Windows) iTunes database.
Can I manage the database on the Pod independently, without going through iTunes?

What you can do is maintain your full library and then just create “playlists” to put on you pod; a little easier than “manually” adding songs to your pod where you have to go through your whole library and check the songs you want to add.

Good luck!

[quote=“citizen k”]What you can do is maintain your full library and then just create “playlists” to put on you pod; a little easier than “manually” adding songs to your pod where you have to go through your whole library and check the songs you want to add.

Good luck![/quote]

Yeah, but I need to delete stuff from the Pod, without simply deleting it from the Library and then updating…

Create a Smart Playlist in iTunes. Then go to Limit to, change the parameter to GB, type in 18, choose how you want iTunes to choose these 18GB (randomly, latest added, etc.) and then click OK. Then in the iPod options, make sure it’s checked on “Automatically update select playlists only.” Update it and it should work.

[quote=“the chief”]
Yeah, but I need to delete stuff from the Pod, without simply deleting it from the Library and then updating…[/quote]

Well, I’ve only been fooloing around with mine a few weeks, but so far I haven’t come across a way to delete specific items from the actual pod itself; only able to get rid of them by updating. :ponder: Where’s irishstu when you need him? He’s quite a ‘podophile’!

[quote=“citizen k”][quote=“the chief”]
Yeah, but I need to delete stuff from the Pod, without simply deleting it from the Library and then updating…[/quote]

Well, I’ve only been fooloing around with mine a few weeks, but so far I haven’t come across a way to delete specific items from the actual pod itself; only able to get rid of them by updating. :ponder: Where’s irishstu when you need him? He’s quite a ‘podophile’![/quote]

You reckon? I only started using playlists 2 weeks ago, lol. I’m more of a Musicmatch fan myself. I only use iTunes to get the stuff on the iPod. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“irishstu”][quote=“citizen k”][quote=“the chief”]

Well, I’ve only been fooloing around with mine a few weeks, but so far I haven’t come across a way to delete specific items from the actual pod itself; only able to get rid of them by updating. :ponder: Where’s irishstu when you need him? He’s quite a ‘podophile’![/quote]

You reckon? I only started using playlists 2 weeks ago, lol. I’m more of a Musicmatch fan myself. I only use iTunes to get the stuff on the iPod. :p[/quote]

Oh! My apologies; thought it was your posts I was reading when I was in the market for a nano for mrs. k. My bad! :blush:

[quote=“citizen k”][quote=“irishstu”][quote=“citizen k”][quote=“the chief”]

You reckon? I only started using playlists 2 weeks ago, lol. I’m more of a Musicmatch fan myself. I only use iTunes to get the stuff on the iPod. :p[/quote]

Oh! My apologies; thought it was your posts I was reading when I was in the market for a nano for mrs. k. My bad! :blush:[/quote]

Oh now, if you asked something about iPods, it’s quite possible. I love my iPod. If you asked something about iTunes, I might have just guessed the answer, lol.

chief,

everyone is saying that the iPod can be set to not hold every song in iTunes. You can have iTunes:

1. automatically manage the iPod - containing all songs or only songs from selected playlists. You can also uncheck songs and they won’t get copied to your iPod. Select some songs, right click and uncheck them.

2. manually manage the iPod - go to the iPod in your source list and delete songs. drag new songs there.

When you have the iPod selected in your source list, click the iPod icon on the bottom left to change the settings.

I have iTunes only sync checked items in my library to my iPod. Anything not checked gets deleted if it was already on the Pod. Is that what you’re trying to do?