Itunes

Just a quick one about itunes - Is it possible to lock playlists so they can not be erased?

I bought the missus an ipod for her birthday, and don’t want her accidentally erasing or moving stuff. It is too easy to move stuff sometimes.

(Edit Thurs AM - How can I select a few songs from a playlist and not the whole darn thing? (apple - a ) gives the whole list.

Cheers.

L.

L.

Locking playlists? I think the playlists are stored in the library database. If they were in preferences, it’d be easier to control. My guess, options could be:

1. iTunes confirms playlist deletion. If you said don’t ask me again, you could re-enable to confirmation.

2. program the creation of a playlist. If it’s ever deleted, run a script. AppleScript would do nicely.

[quote=“gary”]L.

Locking playlists? I think the playlists are stored in the library database. If they were in preferences, it’d be easier to control. My guess, options could be:

1. iTunes confirms playlist deletion. If you said don’t ask me again, you could re-enable to confirmation.

2. program the creation of a playlist. If it’s ever deleted, run a script. AppleScript would do nicely.[/quote]

Can’t you just save/export a copy of the playlist or something? Then you could just load it back in if it ever got messed up?

[quote=“irishstu”][quote=“gary”]L.

2. program the creation of a playlist. If it’s ever deleted, run a script. AppleScript would do nicely.[/quote]

Can’t you just save/export a copy of the playlist or something? Then you could just load it back in if it ever got messed up?[/quote]

:slight_smile: Yes. Stupid me. Select a playlist and choose File | Export Song List. I had in my mind imagining how to save a smart playlist. Exporting the list will save a Smart Playlist as a list of songs.

You’re too smart for your own good Gary. :wink:

Why don’t you just set the files that you don’t want to get move or deleted to read-only.

Ratlung, good idea, how?

I’ve spent the last couple of days clearing the mess up that was itunes, we bought the Mac second hand with loads of music that I wanted to keep, but man, the titling/filing was a joke. After hours of searching and moving things I can now tell which album the tracks were on and by whom. Not a second wasted in my opinion.

It just has to be simple. One of the reasons I love my Mac.

Limeysmiles :smiley:

You can prevent the files from being deleted. Preserving playlists is another matter.

To stop files from being deleted, the easiest way is to move the music files out of the iTunes Music Folder. Let’s say all your music is in:

/Users/Limey/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music

Music you want to definitely keep, you could move outside of that folder. Maybe

/Users/Limey/Music/Keep

iTunes only manages music kept within the iTunes Music folder. Music anywhere else will not be deleted or reoganized.

For an easy way to find music, select it in iTunes and press command-R (File | Show Song File).

[quote=“Limey”]Ratlung, good idea, how?

I’ve spent the last couple of days clearing the mess up that was itunes, we bought the Mac second hand with loads of music that I wanted to keep, but man, the titling/filing was a joke. After hours of searching and moving things I can now tell which album the tracks were on and by whom. Not a second wasted in my opinion.

It just has to be simple. One of the reasons I love my Mac.

Limeysmiles :smiley:[/quote]

Of course you need to locate your files first. Then just open a shell and cd into the directory (“cd /Users/limey/MyMusic”) with the files you want to proteced and issue a “chmod -R 660 *” This should protect all the files in that directory and subdirectories from deletion but you and everybody in the User group should be able to read them. There also might be a GUI tool in Mac OSX, but as a unixer, I prefer the command line. I think gary also has a good idea with moving the files into a different directory than the iTunes directory.

And of course, don’t forget to do a backup, that’s the safest way to protect against accidental deletion. Although a CD backup might be sufficient, I am no big fan. The data layer of a CD is not protected from the top side of the CD, you can easily scratch of the reflective surface. A DVD might be more suitable as a backup medium as it is more of a sandwich. I prefer a DAT backup, but that might not be everybodies first choice.

I hope that helps.

Nice one, thanks guys. Gotta keep that AC/DC safe somehow. :smiling_imp:

:slight_smile:

I definitely need to backup. I’m now up to 50+ DVDs of music. I usually get a CD, rip it to Apple Lossless for backup, and then listen to aac’s. It’d be nice to get another mac with lots of storage. I can then even run iTunes on it and have real access to all my music.

If you wanted protect some files from deletion, it’s easy enough from the Finder. Select some files and then cmd-option-I. Or File | Show Inspection (while holding down option). There’s lots of “Get Info” panel replacements and even drag and drop apps that give you a shortcut to chmod.

Just moving the file is the easy way. :slight_smile:

I’d like to tell my iTunes to shut off at 10:00 PM everyday, so I don’t need to shut it down myself when I close my place … not possible, I know but it would be a nice new feature … maybe it could start playing automatically too … lets say every morning at 9:00

there are many options

yes, for apple … not windows

There ya go

koingosw.com/products/alarm_clock_pro.php

Thanks, for the link … but i’m not going to pay 15$ for a plug-in when you get itunes for free … and I don’t have a CC yet or paypal account … :smiley:

It would be so easy to build it into itunes … no messing with plug-ins that don’t do what you actually want …

That might never make it into iTunes. :slight_smile:

iTunes goal will always perhaps to be the easiest to use jukebox ever made.

Keep adding features and we’ll end up with Microsoft Office. Most (know how to) use less than 1% of it; and of those features? None of them are done well. :slight_smile:

Want something free? use Task Manager to open a music file or write something yourself. :slight_smile: iTunes for Windows supports COM.

If I could I would, but programmimg is not my dada … yet

Is it possible to re-order songs in a playlist? I tried dragging and dropping or right clicking, but neither seemed to work.

Yes. Click the first column (listing numbers).