I've been duped by a pirate!

I don’t think that is going to be of any use, since (unless things have changed recently) Microsoft announced that laptop installations of XP had to be patched by the laptop’s manufacturer – at least as of a few months ago, there was no way to install XP onto a laptop from a standard distribution CD.[/quote]

Baloney!

I did just that.

[quote=“FEI”]Did you pay for a copy of Win XP when you purchased the laptop? If not than this is your fault, end of story. Go down to FNAC and buy a real licensed English copy, and then contact Microsoft support. If you did pay for a copy of legit Win XP than they should have given you the CD’s for it. If you paid, did not get CD’s, and now they won’t help, than go to the cops and have them go bust the guys. You get what you pay for.[/quote]I wanted to do that, but they did not have a Chinese language pack that I needed to install with it. They said that it was “Bu hao mai.” So even though I wanted to go the legal route, I was forced to go the illegal route. Got myself Windows XP professional, office, and a Chinese language pack all for free, but only because I couldn’t buy it here. Stupid buggers. Bill Gates could have bought new curtains for his house with what I would have been willing to spend on legal software…

Sometimes the big software companies circulate their own virus-invested software to dissuade people from buying it.

I don’t think that is going to be of any use, since (unless things have changed recently) Microsoft announced that laptop installations of XP had to be patched by the laptop’s manufacturer – at least as of a few months ago, there was no way to install XP onto a laptop from a standard distribution CD.[/quote]

Baloney!

I did just that.[/quote]
Well, it wasn’t “baloney!” when WinXP was released – this was the official blather from Redmond. Nice that they got around to fixing their installer. Of course, maybe you just got lucky and had the right brand of laptop. Or maybe it isn’t really fully functional and you just haven’t noticed the things that don’t work. :stuck_out_tongue:

Have a friend get a legit copy of XP from a computer show in the states or from an office superstore. It’s cheaper than buying a legit version here.

I got an OEM version from a computer show for a really nice price.

BTW: The post office opened my package, looked at it but let it through with no additional tax. The did not the break the “Microsoft seal” of the disk.

I only noticed the nice “official post office tape” they used to reseal the package.

The only patches available from Microsoft are those applied after a full install of the English OS. From the website, “Windows XP Multilingual User Interface Pack is an add-on to the English version of Windows XP Professional and is available only via volume licensing programs to corporate users.” I ended up getting the MUI pack through work. Pretty much just changes the menus, etc. to Chinese. (Trad or Simp) If you would like one user to have an English interface, another to have Korean, and one more to have Traditional Chinese, it can be done with this MUI. Let me know if you can’t find it in Taiwan. I head to Taiwan mid-July. So if you want it, just let me know.

Konglong