I've finished learning Chinese

Just thought I’d let everyone know that I’ve finished learning Chinese now. Vocab, grammar, pragmatics, characters, chengyu, all that classical stuff – finished it all.

Now for my next language. Any suggestions?

1 Like

[quote=“joesax”]Just thought I’d let everyone know that I’ve finished learning Chinese now. Vocab, grammar, pragmatics, characters, chengyu, all that classical stuff – finished it all.

Now for my next language. Any suggestions?[/quote]

I finished five minutes before you.

[quote=“superking”][quote=“joesax”]Just thought I’d let everyone know that I’ve finished learning Chinese now. Vocab, grammar, pragmatics, characters, chengyu, all that classical stuff – finished it all.

I finished five minutes before you.[/quote]Damn! Still, it’s a good feeling, isn’t it?

Dolphin clicks.

[quote=“joesax”][quote=“superking”][quote=“joesax”]Just thought I’d let everyone know that I’ve finished learning Chinese now. Vocab, grammar, pragmatics, characters, chengyu, all that classical stuff – finished it all.

I finished five minutes before you.[/quote]Damn! Still, it’s a good feeling, isn’t it?[/quote]

Ooh yeah. And Dolphin was piss easy. Even the sonar stuff was childsplay.

Heinrich Schliemann was my pupil.

But dolphins can’t even read.

And you just watch one write 250 words on the pros and cons of public spending on space travel.

Is Dolphin tonal? That would certainly make the transition a bit easier.

One doesn’t like to blow one’s own trumpet, but Kató Lomb did used to turn up at the joesax residence asking for tips from time to time. One does one’s best to oblige.

Yoga. You blew Bruce Lee? Kewl.

Yoga. You blew Bruce Lee? Kewl.[/quote]Not Bruce Lee; Monette.

[quote=“joesax”]Just thought I’d let everyone know that I’ve finished learning Chinese now. Vocab, grammar, pragmatics, characters, chengyu, all that classical stuff – finished it all.

Congratulations! Well, what about Japanese since you already have a foundation with the characters?

[quote=“insomniac79”][quote=“joesax”]Just thought I’d let everyone know that I’ve finished learning Chinese now. Vocab, grammar, pragmatics, characters, chengyu, all that classical stuff – finished it all.

Congratulations! Well, what about Japanese since you already have a foundation with the characters?[/quote]Thanks, but I finished Japanese last year. I’m thinking maybe Guarijio, Hixkaryana, or Tapirapé. Or maybe all three at the same time.

joesax is super-smart. Figured out I will finish Chinese in 2134. 'Bout lunchtime.

[quote=“joesax”][quote=“insomniac79”][quote=“joesax”]Just thought I’d let everyone know that I’ve finished learning Chinese now. Vocab, grammar, pragmatics, characters, chengyu, all that classical stuff – finished it all.

Congratulations! Well, what about Japanese since you already have a foundation with the characters?[/quote]Thanks, but I finished Japanese last year. I’m thinking maybe Guarijio, Hixkaryana, or Tapirapé. Or maybe all three at the same time.[/quote]

What about the native languages of the Indian tribes in north america? I heard that that would be kind of a challenge, also you could help those languages from getting lost for mankind forever.

How about learning Klingon? It could be really useful in the future when space travel is a bit more common, like in 2011.

[quote=“irishstu”]How about learning Klingon? It could be really useful in the future when space travel is a bit more common, like in 2011.[/quote]But we don’t meet any Klingons until 2151

Without looking it up, can anyone tell me what connects Klingon, Guarijio, Hixkaryana, and Tapirapé? (Actually I did check on Google before I posted).

How about the Kalahari Bushmen - the Dobi Kung - that way you can get a language and dolphin clicks at the same time.

Honestly, BFM. You believe everything you see on TV. There’s nothing to stop us meeting Klingons in 2011.

My senior tutor at uni’s wife could speak one of those ‘click’ languages (no, not the one me and my friends speak, almondbiscuit). It was very cool. You can only speak to African dolphins though. These languages, despite having many cognates, are not mutually understood so aren’t a lot of use in East Asia. Still…

How about Basque? I understand no one who speaks only Basque ever goes to hell because even the devil can’t learn the language!