I've read that Taipei tap water is safe to drink?

That is what I do. At first it tasted metallic. Now I don’t notice any taste. Compasses don’t work near me though.

4 Likes

Boiling can also, obviously, boil off things dissolved in water. Think carbonated water - do you think the CO2 would build off before the water, or do you think the water would boil off and concentrate the c02, making the water more carbonated? Probably a simple rule of thumb would be that dissolved solids concentrate when boiled, and things that will naturally off gas (co2, chlorine) will be reduced when boiled.

1 Like

a highly educated person who is a certified teacher has told us it is common sense. we shouldn’t need to go looking for real information about it.

I’m no chemist, but it would seem to be common sense to me that anything with a lower boiling point than water is going to be boiled out or evaporated from boiling water, while anything with a higher boiling point remains behind. The things that remain behind would only be concentrated to the degree that the water is allowed to boil out, which would only be significant if you were boiling it a long time. (If you boil out half the water, the lead concentration would double.)

If anyone here is a chemist, or at least studied it at the university level, or has links to peer-reviewed research saying otherwise, I’d be interested to know about it.

2 Likes

I think I’ll take my chances with the increased concentrations of poisonous metals and continue to boil water. My common sense guess is the levels will be insignificant.

To continue the sauce analogy, if you have beer, wine, or liquor in your sauce, the alcohol will boil out before before water will.

2 Likes

Yes, but I will continue to point out that heavy metals like lead are not going to boil off. And lead is only one of many things that are almost certainly in your water that you should not be ingesting

Correct. Some of these things boil off, while some do not. Those that do not will be concentrated if you boil off a significant portion of the water, but doing that kind of defeats the purpose anyway, since you wouldn’t have much of your water left.

3 Likes

Monday morning conversations on the flob make exam invigilation so much more entertaining.

2 Likes

makes sense

Why not just get an RO system?

Then you only need to boil water for tea/coffee.

also, another good way to avoid bacteria and chemicals in your water is to drink beer instead

do it like they did in the olden times, use alcohol to make your water safe to drink!

Boiled and cooled water tastes like the kettle. I’m on team “carbon only”.

1 Like

Get a clay kettle.

1 Like

who uses clay kettle nowadays

I use lots of clay and ceramic pots/kettles.