J-Lin may have blown out his knee

Ruptured patella tendon. Ouch. That’s definitely a career ending injury for most players. I think it has one of the lowest rate of recovery for any athlete that has to sprint, cut and jump. I get tendinitis all the time from the patella tendon. I can tell you that you won’t be able to run or jump at all if there’s an issue.

“The patellar tendon anchors the thigh’s quadriceps muscle to the shin, allowing the knee to flex and extend. Because it’s so integral to running and cutting, it’s not usual for strength and explosiveness to return at a reduced level.”

He could have a chance with a great surgery and all the new rehab and recovery methods in sports medicine today. Maybe not a starter but definitely possible as a backup. He’s a positive player for any locker room so that’s always a plus for teams that might need a veteran backup.

His best chance is to get good at shooting 3s. Jason Kidd and others prolonged their careers losing a lot of athleticism from age from that 3 point shot. He can be a decent role player that can also pass and facilitate. But he probably won’t be a slasher driving in and attacking the rim after this. He needs to find a new way to play.

Technology these days can do a lot, look at Zlatan Ibrahimovich, he tore his ACL at 36 and recovered within 6 months and Man United signed him for another season.

I don’t know much about patella tendons, but I’m sure they can inject stem cells n shit and get him to recover faster than 10 years ago for example.

A patellar tendon injury was the thing that basically ended Ronaldo’s career. I mean the original Ronaldo, not Christina.
Technically he recovered, but he was a mere shadow of his former self. I seriously doubt that a basketball player will get a proper recovery from that kind of injury.
Really sad for Jeremy.

Yes technology and sports medicine has certainly improved and many injuries that used to be death sentences are now perfectly recoverable with new surgery and rehab methods.

I think everyone always think ACL is the worst. Although it is very serious but I’ve know athletes personally and many guys come back from it with no issue. Many do suffer some mental problems from it as it is traumatic and the recovery process not easy. And it’s a hard thought for athletes with absolute confidence in skill to see that their body failed them and another one of these could be career ending. And there is the issue of why more and more ACL injuries seem to be happening and at a younger age but that’s another issue to talk about.

However, patella tendon ruptured are just death sentences still. I’ve never seen personally or known a professional player that ever came back the same from that. Many athletes have had ACL injuries and are still playing at an elite level. I can’t think of a single one that came back and was able to capture who they were before. I would rank it as probably the worst single knee injury for a basketball player.

man that’s crazy. I would never think it is a death sentence of an injury. It just holds your knee cap to your shin right? But like I said, I know nothing about patella tendons. I did have my ACL done, that took like 3 years to be comfortable doing the previous sports I played physically and psychologically. I did have 2 minor knee operations 8 months before that, so it was a slooooooow healing process.

Well he’s at the tail end of his career. Players do love what they do and want to continue to play but he sure will be comfortable and had a good career plus he went to Harvard like you mentioned.

Ronaldo’s injury was a real disaster; not only was he the most dominant player in the world, but he wasn’t even at his peak and no one really knows what he could have achieved. I remember he had a minor injury prior to that one, he recovered from that and then his knee simply exploded while he was dribbling, with no one even close to him. Even with the support of endless amounts of $$$ the doctors couldn’t do much. He went back to play and iirc even won a championship somewhere, but watching him play after that injury was truly painful.

If I were Lin and I was destined to go through that same path, I’d call it quits as a player and do something related to the University degree or do something to help the basketball movement that doesn’t involve playing. I doubt he’ll ever need to work with the amount of money the Knick gave him for the 3 weeks of Linsanity.

I’m sure he enjoys being compared to a case of herpes lol

You’d make a great sportscaster. Cotton would be proud.

https://youtu.be/oIxx6iuYR6A

But does he drink his own urine?

I bet he will become a pastor or a missionary. Hopefully the second.

The “herpes” comment was directed at the Linsanity phenomenon, not Lin himself. From what I can see, he’s a pretty thoughtful and humble guy, and seemed pretty bemused by the whole Linsanity thing himself. What I find annoying is the way Taiwanese treat any famous person with a tenuous connection to Taiwan like royalty. It’s kind of embarrassing.

That isn’t a Taiwan thing, it’s pretty much endemic to any country that isn’t The Yewess or Yewkay or maybe France.

You’ve obviously never watched TV with Canadians.

1 Like

Awful for Jeremy. He must also be learning some of this and how serious it is as well. However he does need to try and play next year if he wants the money

I was looking forward to him playing this year. His particular style of play it fun. Attacking the basket and great passing getting guys involved. If he was serious about playing in the NBA again. He should think about playing differently. Luckily there’s the 3 point shot that if he become deadly at, less athletic guys have been able to play than Jeremy because of it. He should try to really work on it. At the very least I’m sure some team would still sign him to the veterans minimum because he has a huge fan base and is a good guy to have in the locker room. But like I said. He should seriously think about what he wants to do after basketball now. He does need to try to play next year. But no reason to damage your body anymore for a smart guy like Jeremy. He played in the NBA and was a serviceable starter. No shame in that for a guy that went undrafted and overlooked. He overachieved from my point of view.

I have, but not the “Canadian flag patch on the backpack” kind. They’re really annoying. But then I find patriots of all stripes annoying.

1 Like

I love it. It’s part of what makes sports fun. Seeing the Philippines drop everything and watch pacquiao fight. Ivory Coast with drogba, the Irish with mcgregor. Some is kinda annoying in the way some people just use it as an excuse to get drunk to oblivion and annoy the fuck out of everyone. That I hate.

Heck I carry a Canadian flag on my backpack and I ain’t Canadian. I like it very much though.

Come back to Taiwan and get involved in local basketball, open up some courts, do coaching seminars for kids.

We will see what happens.

Where are you from again :smile:

omg…CULTURE APPROPRIATION!

The tropics.

2 Likes

Somehwere in my very mixed ancestry I may have a Canadian somewhere…just need to shake the tree a bit.