J.R.R. Tolkien's The Children of Hurin

I am going to read The Children of Húrin.

But I wonder if I should prepare so I should read “The Silmarillion” again.

The Children of Húrin in fact is edited by Christopher Tolkien.

Anyone read or learn anything about it?

[quote=“kate.lin”]I am going to read The Children of Húrin.

But I wonder if I should prepare so I should read “The Silmarillion” again.

The Children of Húrin in fact is edited by Christopher Tolkien.

Anyone read or learn anything about it?[/quote]

I liked the Silmarillion. I don’t plan to read the Children at this time. I’m reticent about reading materials started by the author and then finished by his child, best friend, etc. The Dune books are such a disappointment.

It was just released, and is supposed to be a lot darker, more tragic than the other books. It’s set long before the Hobbit, in lands that later disappeared.

Looks to be a good read. The later Dune books are a major disappointment, but Christopher did a decent enough job on the Silmarillion. Probably didn’t do nearly as much work on that book than this though.

I only read the Dune books by Frank Herbert himself.

Because so many friends complain about the new book by his son, I simply avoid them.

Now you confirm it again. I will keep avoiding them. :stuck_out_tongue:

When you guys read LOTR, will you follow the map or find the map that specially published?

I plan to read LOTR again now, and I am going to study the maps thoroughly.

[quote=“kate.lin”]When you guys read LOTR, will you follow the map or find the map that specially published?
[/quote]

Interesting. which map are you talking about that was specially published? I usually just refer to the maps in the appendix, and then the Silmarilion as a reference as needed.

I, for one, plan to read it. Apparently, it’s much darker than his other work. Read a review in las week’s Time here:

time.com/time/arts/article/0 … 48,00.html

So far I know there are two maps for LOTR.

The Atlas of Middle-Earth (Revised Edition) by Karen Wynn Fonstad (Paperback - April 10, 2001)

The Maps of Tolkien’s Middle-Earth by Brian Sibley, J.R.R. Tolkien, and John Howe (Hardcover - Oct 2, 2003)

I don’t know which one is better.

[quote=“Wookiee”]I, for one, plan to read it. Apparently, it’s much darker than his other work. Read a review in las week’s Time here:

time.com/time/arts/article/0 … 48,00.html[/quote]

Cheesy, but funny.

I thought it was the dwarves who delved too deeply, awaking Durin’s Bane, who hates to be woken up too early, especially on weekends.

Watch out for his balrog. It’s really smelly, especially after a heavy nite of drinking.

I know, I went camping with it one time.

Just finished the Children.

SPOILER

reminiscent of greek tragedy in the Oedipus/Electra sense in both respect of Fate and incest. Interesting to see more of the Maia(sp?) interactions with Middle-Earth other than Melkor that is (e.g. Ulmo, etc.).

END SPOILER

Definitely a different kind of read (in length of story and hence language and style) than the prose and song of the Trilogy or even Silmarillion (at least from what I remember). If anyone is in HK, I’d be willing to lend them my copy.

I am struggling to get the book here.
Page One, Eslite, Bookman, Lailai, Cave; none of them are able to order the book for me!
I dislike to order book from Amazon.com becuase the shipping fee is too rediculus.
I think I have to wait a little bit for the book.

I picked up the book today at Page One, and saw a couple more copies. Cost around NT$1100 before the 20% discount.

So Pageone imports Hardcover version. Thank you, I will go to get it tomorrow.

I read two chapters this evening.

I felt the voice of storytelling is very different from LOTR.
I think it is better to read it without the expection of reading another LOTR.

The story so far is worthy reading.