Jackie Chan: Taiwan is the Joke of the Universe

Why does this particular opinion make him a dickhead? I’m sure a sizeable percentage of Taiwanese people think that the political discourse here is a joke as well (though they’d probably bristle at an outsider pointing it out.)

He’s a dickhead because he allowed that the joke could not get bigger (see “of the Universe”). Everybody knows that’s not true! :smiley:

I’m surprised he’s not at the protest alongside his fellow has-been Shih Ming-teh and those other buffoons. Birds of a feather and all that.

Then why aren’t you surprised that CSB isn’t meeting with SMT? A lame duck is basically a bird with has-been feathers.

Maybe he is smart after all: a great promotion for his new movie on the mainland, and at least among 50% of the Taiwanese. Thay also believe Chen’s government is one big sad joke.

um so politics here is a joke?..at least we have free elections and the right to protest (no need to rise to the bait red wearers)…how does he justify politics in beijing then? a sick joke?

The truth hurts, but that’s far from truth. So, don’t worry, be haaapppy.

maybe he has a elbow-pain complex because Taiwan manages to be funnier than him. Well, even a new born baby is funnier than him…

I fully understand your point. But let me play devil’s advocate, and present the Jackie Chan (+ cctang) counter-point.

“So politics in Beijing is a sick joke? At least we have a pragmatic, competent government that’s making us wealthy, managing reforms that puts any other developing nation to shame, while also making our voice heard in the international community.”

Let’s just agree that everyone appreciates different things in life… and that certainly applies to the value government brings to our lives.

But Taiwan has ballots. Which are often recounted twice with 2 lawyers and a near sighted civil worker to determine if people put their chops in the right place. Only to put a corrupt leader in place that put Soong and Lien to shame.

But it is all worth it because of ethnic pride. Finally Taiwan is lead by an authentic Taiwanese that will rob us blind. All is forgiven because of ethnic pride…

Speaking of patriotic Chinese actors… if you haven’t seen it in Asia yet, don’t miss the US release of Jet Li in his final martial arts film: Fearless.

jetlisfearless.com/

Jet Li, as a precocious pre-teen while travelling the United States on a martial arts tour: :wink:

Jet’s an older and wiser man now, and he has more passion for Tibetan Buddhism than Chinese nationalism. But he has never, and he never will, acted in any movie in which the Chinese character’s anything but heroic and positive.

Being a Jet Li fan myself, oh who can forget the Huang Fei Hong movies of the 90’s, I can only offer one contradiction to your point. Lethal Weapon 4, Jet Li is the villian that dies at the end.

A sad day for Chinese everywhere, but at least he got his foot in the door of Hollywood and made those Black-exploitation films.

I think one of his choices spoke volumns about his views, instead of being in Matrix 3, he decided to film Hero. He might have increased his fan base even more in the West if made an cameo in Matrix, but he decide to take a starring role which redefined modern Chinese nationalism.

Oh you’re right. I forgot about Lethal Weapon 4. Well, wasn’t he trying to save his brother? If so, that’s very Confucian of him… I forgive’em.

I think Jackie also snubbed Jet at this point in time, made a public comment about how he would never “sellout” the Chinese image and play a villian for the Western audience…

Hong Kong celebrity news is almost as entertaining as Taiwan politics…

Jet Li was Ang Lee’s first choice for Chow Yun-Fat’s role in CTHD, but Li declined due to his wife’s pregnancy. CTHD would have skyrocketed Li into the eyes of Western audiences. But come to think of it, it’s hard to imagine someone else other than Chow playing the role.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]Being a Jet Li fan myself, oh who can forget the Huang Fei Hong movies of the 90’s, I can only offer one contradiction to your point. Lethal Weapon 4, Jet Li is the villian that dies at the end.

A sad day for Chinese everywhere, but at least he got his foot in the door of Hollywood and made those Black-exploitation films.

I think one of his choices spoke volumns about his views, instead of being in Matrix 3, he decided to film Hero. He might have increased his fan base even more in the West if made an cameo in Matrix, but he decide to take a starring role which redefined modern Chinese nationalism.[/quote]

He also played a dog. I wonder how the China nats took that?

I’m also a fan, by the way.

HG

Yeah a dog with a 14 white girl…
Some scenes just couldn’t be shown. :laughing:

I fully understand your point. But let me play devil’s advocate, and present the Jackie Chan (+ cctang) counter-point.

“So politics in Beijing is a sick joke? At least we have a pragmatic, competent government that’s making us wealthy, managing reforms that puts any other developing nation to shame, while also making our voice heard in the international community.”

Let’s just agree that everyone appreciates different things in life… and that certainly applies to the value government brings to our lives.[/quote]

So how come, by your government’s own admission, you experienced something like 70,000 separate outbreaks of rioting last year? That’s an average of 200 riots per day! :astonished: It seems that a huge proportion of your poor, oppressed compatriots are very far from appreciating how those with power are wielding it.

Oh who cares. They are all rapists disrupting stability and social order, or order and social stability, whichever it was. Now go break their heads.

Oh who cares. They are all rapists disrupting stability and social order, or order and social stability, whichever it was. Now go break their heads.[/quote]

You mean the peasants are revolting? :noway:

HG