Jailbreaking iPhone 3GS 3.1.3, 05.12.01?

Is there anything out yet? GOOG search is too cluttered. If not already, I assume none will release until 4.0 released to not waste an exploit. Is there a downgrade solution? I am trying to put MyWi on this phone.

Update:

There is no such jailbreak released for this firmware/baseband combo yet, although there is an exploit.

So what I’m going to do until this comes out:
Put a SIM with no dataplan in my iPhone
Put a SIM with a dataplan in my Android phone, which is jailbroken and has a MiFi app.
Run the WiFi tether app on the Android and put it in my bag
Run the iPad and iPhone off of that data link

Lame, but this points to why a MiFi may be a better option for many of us who have multiple devices we want to hook up to the cloud without buying another data plan.

[quote=“mabagal”]Update:

There is no such jailbreak released for this firmware/baseband combo yet, although there is an exploit.

Put a SIM with a dataplan in my Android phone, which is jailbroken and has a MiFi app.

Lame, but this points to why a MiFi may be a better option for many of us who have multiple devices we want to hook up to the cloud without buying another data plan.[/quote]

Is the exploit you mentioned for the 3.1.3 being able to jailbreak your phone but having it tethered so you need a PC in order to restart your phone if it shuts down?

I just got a new iphone 3gs 3.1.3 MC serial number and am looking for the best way to jailbreak it… i figure going to the computer market on the weekend and asking the phone shops there might be the best way to get the info…

I believe you can jailbreak the 3gs by downgrading the firmware first but only a tethered jailbreak is available. If I’m not mistaken, in order for the firmware downgrade to work on the 3gs, the phone has to have been previously jailbroken, too. I’m not sure why and I could be wrong. Like you said, a google search yields very cluttered results.

I was hopeful that they would release the jailbreak after the ipad was released. But it looks like we’ll have to wait until the latest OS is out.

What’s with these hackers, anyways? What’s the point in waiting months before releasing their work? Release the damn thing and get to work on hacking the next version if Apple patches it. Hackers who do what they can to not have to hack some more. Weirdos. I bet they are selling their jailbreak for big bucks and that’s why they take their sweet time to release it for the general public. Didn’t George Hotz trade his first jailbroken iphone for three new iphones and a new sports car? :unamused:

I think you underestimate the difficulty in finding weaknesses that can be exploited to crack a system. I personally could not possibly care less about the iPhone platform, but I suspect the reason the hackers are keeping their supposed exploit close to their vest is to wait for 4.0 and/or the new hardware to drop.

[quote=“jashsu”]
I think you underestimate the difficulty in finding weaknesses that can be exploited to crack a system. [/quote]Probably. But they are hackers. The Dev team and Geohot are just hackers. They are not entrepreneurs. All their releases have been FOC. Thousands of people who are tied top AT&T in the US currently use their iphones as household furniture because they are locked and unusable meanwhile these geeks have a ready solution. Who cares about OS 4.0? People want to be able to use their devices NOW.

By the time they release the unlock/jailbreak, thousands of iphones 3gs will be between one or two years old. I don’t see the point considering the lifespan of such devices.

There is a demonstrated jailbreak that has not been released using the exploit. They are starting to run out of holes. Which is why we are llikely left to wait until the next major release (4.0) to jailbreak 3.1.3 MC. If someone finds otherwise pleade do share!

[quote=“WaltzingMatilda”][quote=“mabagal”]Update:

Lame, but this points to why a MiFi may be a better option for many of us who have multiple devices we want to hook up to the cloud without buying another data plan.[/quote]

Is the exploit you mentioned for the 3.1.3 being able to jailbreak your phone but having it tethered so you need a PC in order to restart your phone if it shuts down?

I just got a new iphone 3gs 3.1.3 MC serial number and am looking for the best way to jailbreak it… i figure going to the computer market on the weekend and asking the phone shops there might be the best way to get the info…[/quote]

[quote=“mabagal”]Update:

So your apple products “Just Work” if you have an android device in your backpack :laughing:

These geeks aren’t entrepreneurs or a business so they really have no obligation to ever give those people a solution. If customers wanted an open platform that was not locked to a provider then they should have seriously researched all available smartphone options instead of following the hype and buying an iPhone. If they want an unlocked iPhone and don’t want to wait they are free to get all the documents online and try to find an exploit on their own.

The dev team and co are waiting for the new OS release to get the biggest number of unlocks they can. Once they go public apple will remove the exploit in future versions. Every owner and new buy will be able to get 4.0 and get onto the unlock train. Once you are riding the unlock train you never have to get off.

[quote=“djlowballer”]These geeks aren’t entrepreneurs or a business so they really have no obligation to ever give those people a solution. If customers wanted an open platform that was not locked to a provider then they should have seriously researched all available smartphone options instead of following the hype and buying an iPhone. If they want an unlocked iPhone and don’t want to wait they are free to get all the documents online and try to find an exploit on their own.

The dev team and co are waiting for the new OS release to get the biggest number of unlocks they can. Once they go public apple will remove the exploit in future versions. Every owner and new buy will be able to get 4.0 and get onto the unlock train. Once you are riding the unlock train you never have to get off.[/quote]
++

@RobinTaiwan: When you develop your own exploits, then you can rightfully decide when and how to distribute it. Then be ready for the torrent of QQ when you release right before a major version release and people complain that you should have waited.

bullshit. double bullshit.

the android had to be “jailbroken” also to get the mifi functionality.

the android is RELEGATED to being a mifi because for MY USAGE it doesn’t fit the bill as well compared to the 3GS. there are no apps that i want/need on the android that i can’t get on the iphone but there are plenty of apps that i can get on the iphone that work better than their android counterpart or are not available at all on android. if and when this situation improves, maybe the iphone gets to play mifi duties.

this is not about preference or fan boying or anything or anything like that. it is about specific use cases for specific people. so are you done with this yet? it’s getting really annoying.

it was tongue in cheek.

I did plenty of searches thus all refer to the same : If original 3.1.3 already flashed or onbard with MC (133TA) model = :thumbsdown: no Jailbreak, no Cydia, no-thing.
DevTeam nor that brilliant kid have posted a solid solution, and as said, all wait 4.0 to break.

Gutfeeling, end of July should open doors for all of us again whom are not pleased with the current limitations of the 3GS (and upcoming 4G).

I did plenty of searches thus all refer to the same : If original 3.1.3 already flashed or onbard with MC (133TA) model = :thumbsdown: no Jailbreak, no Cydia, no-thing.
DevTeam nor that brilliant kid have posted a solid solution, and as said, all wait 4.0 to break.

Gutfeeling, end of July should open doors for all of us again whom are not pleased with the current limitations of the 3GS (and upcoming 4G).[/quote]

Yeah, i found out as much yesterday, ceevee369, with a visit to the Guang Hua Digital Plaza. I spoke to a few of the phone vendors there with signs up for jailbreaking and they said that if it is a newer 3GS (with MC serial) and running 3.1.3 then they can’t jailbreak it and gave the same advice as your post, i.e. hold out til OS 4.0… patience is a virtue…

Kudos for those guys whom already jailbreaked the 4.0 and if they would, they could release their solution today.
As this is purely a cat and mouse game between them and Apple, they obviously wait till 4.0 is out as Apple would (and most likely is) already working on 4.1.
We just need to wait till Apple releases the iPhone 4G, and that is a matter of weeks (end of June most likely)

The Spirit Jailbreak is now out for all models of iphones/ipod touch/ipad… very easy to do… just one click. I just did it for my iphone 3gs 3.1.3 MC model and it worked like a dream.

spiritjb.com has all the details and the d/l for Mac and PC…

:discodance:

Thanks Matilda! :notworthy:

Yup. It’s confirmed. Worked like a charm for me,too, and it’s about twice faster than Blackrain. One click and done in two seconds. Make sure itunes isn’t running and put the phone on airplane mode before doing it in case a call comes in at the same time.

Freedom!!! :slight_smile:

PS: It installs Cydia automatically.

[strike]Just saw the news on Geohot’s page, but not sure if it’s the same solution he has as “spirit”?
Does it solve the thetering issue?? Going to be FUN finally![/strike]

What the Hack :laughing: , I’ll just jump on the boat :bravo:

THANK YOU THANK YOU!

for unknown reason, it did not worked out for me despite all reading done. Should have been simple as hell, but it ended up in sadness

I JB’s my wife’s 3G few hour ago with the old method, and used the Spirit for my won 3GS, which is now stuck on the apple bootscreen since 10 minutes … things went terrible wrong :frowning:
Will need to do a restore tomorrow…