Jake's Country Kitchen (and its sister branch J.U.K.E.)

Is that the sort of breakfast dish they have? I was thinking more fry up - eggs, bacon some tommy and toast with the sweetness being in the service only. Or a spoonful in my coffee.

What’s the brekky like?

HG

For the second time in less than ten months :? , The Taipei Times has a story on Jakes Country Kitchen (Tianmu).

Jake’s Mexican-style stuffed streak is just one of the tasty offerings available at Taipei’s longest running Western-style diner.
Photo: Gavin Phipps, Taipei Times

That has got to be one of the worst written articles I’ve read in a long time. I think someone was having a little too much fun with adjectives … :?

But that’s not the Jake’s on Hoping (Heping). Weird, I think the same family owns both restaurants, but they don’t advertise them together.

I ate there and thought it was good. Had Mexican. No complaints from me or my girlfriend. Dessert was also good - cheese cake. Maybe Jake read this thread last year and decided to step it up a bit.

What are you, Canadian? Worst Mexican food I have ever had in my life, and not a single thing tex-mexy about it. It is Tacos made from a photograph of one. Burritos, are worse than those you get in a 7-11, and if these people ever figure out what Huevos Rancheros are I will be utterly and completley amazed, quit drinking and smoking, and start going to church. Its safe to say that I will never have to do that. You were right, your taste has degraded.

Chou

I went there having heard about their Mexican food and went home shaking my head.

Tastes like there have been too many substitutions of “similar-to-Mexican” ingredients along the way. It reminded me of a story my aunt once told about German visitors who ate some of her authentic stuff and then tried to replicate it on their own, making burritos featuring canned tuna and really sugary baked beans. Jake’s doesn’t take it that far, but it just did not taste right.

Jakes Country Kitchen got good food…but its a rip off… i tend to go across the street at Marys Hamburgers its closer to the american school. Extremely cheap, extremely greasy and extremely good… [the owner mary… worked for the american military as a cook…so shes got the good ol’ american junk food goin! try it out…

Being Mexican-American, I was disappointed and irate at what Jake’s tried to pass off as mexican food. I mean c’mon…a white enchilada? Are you kidding me? What a joke. No taste whatsoever. But I am obviously biased since I’ve eaten home-made Mexican food all my life, so I expect it to be at least decent wherever I find it being offered. :smiling_imp:

The rest of menu wasn’t half bad though. I still haven’t gone there for breakfast, and I really want to. :smiley:

I keep hearing about the great breakfast at Juke’s but you would have to hold a gun to my head to get me in the door after the lunch that I had there last. Fucking foul.

Whinge and whine…
Alright, before I go further, I am not a fan of J.U.K.E.S. Why? Dingy atmosphere, so-so service, and the WORST Bloody Mary’s imaginable( made from the half-assed tomato juice with fruit in it!). However, let me say this, if I were back in my “birth” country-non of your damned business for now- I would be grateful in that they serve a decent breakfast, not unlike home, and in some ways, better!
Nothing in a foreign country will ever “beat, match, console, etc…” us, but if you just want some old eggs, bacon, what have you this is as good as any. Pancakes are well above average- with no sog.
Regardless of how long some of you have been here, what is the constant whine about? Yes, bad service, food happens. Very bad should be complained of and Mr. Smith, what got into your guts to make you so damned nasty? Of course, justifiable complaints should be made, but if all it is is a bit of frozen in your cheesecake-return the thing!
This forum in particular is a real turn off lately. Smarten up kids… Say something nice, just once!

What, like no seal blubber pie? :wink:

[quote]Say something nice, just once!
[/quote]
Hey, there are plenty of nice things said on this forum, including plenty of nice things written by Fred – plenty. Check out the Muma thread, for just one example. There are many more.
Thing is, a place needs to be nice in order to get nice things said about it. And Jukes for anything other than breakfast, really is “fucking foul.” In fact, I think Fred was being kind with that description.

That, to me, is a perfectly justifiable complaint, especially if it comes late and with a scowl.

Alright, I guess I am getting a bit soft around the edges. Having lived in a far more prime-evil country prior to this one.
Although, I believe many of the “complaints” in this forum can be solved tableside rather than in here, of course we are all entitled to express ourselves. That is the point of this, isn’t it? I have read about Muma by Mr. Smith. Fine, great, super a place he likes.
My point was merely that so much energy is put into the “whine” let’s put a bit more cheese on the table…
Over to you!

[quote]Over to you!
[/quote]
Oh yeah? Well, your husband is here right now, so I’m going to tell him what a hard time you’re giving me.
But people aren’t stupid – they’re like you, in that they can read for themselves and can quickly figure out when someone is just bitching and when the gripes are reasonable. It’s all about having a place to vent, as well as being purely a resource for people seeking drink/food options.

Hmmmmm,
Yeah, go ahead and tell him. he will just spank me later-OOPs!!! :laughing:

They are advertising “American flavored pie”. I usually get one of their pumpkin pies on Thanksgiving, but now that I know what they flavor it with I’m having second thoughts.

Jakes country kitchen in tienmu isnt known for its mexican food— seriously ive tried it and its the worst mutation of a costco food gone bad with watery salsa sauce.

HOWEVER… what jake is REALLY known for is the awsome breakfast that they serve 24/7 ← it is damn good and never gone wrong with me. I love having bacon and eggs or french toast (though i could most probably make this at home for 1/10 the price)… its worth to goin there with some friends after a long night on the town…or for a good card game and a beer.

Really? They’re open 24 hours? Fantastic! :bravo: Taipei needs more 24 hr joints. What about the Dunhua/Heping branch - they haven’t gone 24 hrs as well, have they?

I went to Jakes to get a pie for church, and since I was in the doghouse, I decided to eat dinner and have a few beers. They have Guinness in the bottle for $130. I ordered Chili Con Carne and a Burrito. The menu says the chili con carne comes with crackers, but do you know what kind of crackers came with it? Ritz!
Ritz?
Anyway I took the chili con carne and poured it on top of my burrito. (total cost $280 not including beer) That’s the way I like it and it tasted good, though I prefer the Wolf’s Brand Chili you can get at Costco.
Then by the time I got home, I wasn’t in the doghouse anymore.

Went for breakfast at J.U.K.E.S on monday. Got there at 10:45am and it wasn’t opened yet. I was thinking how are they going to serve the early bird breakfast eaters they advertised outside if they don’t open until 11:00 am. Strange. Maybe on weekdays they open later so watch out. (Don’t know about weekends.) The metal sliding door opened halfway so I guess they were going to open but needed to look at their menu outside to make sure they were going to open soon. Took a peek and it looks like a bar more than a restaurant with a saloon style wood structures. Seemed a bit dark but would have been better if they had more lighting. Looked at the menu and I couldn’t figure out the negative reviews on this thread. I looked at the country fried chicken steak and I thought I remembered seeing something about it but as I reread the thread there was no mention of it.

I ordered Eggs benidict. Supposed to be two poached eggs on two english muffins but more like two light buns toasted hamburger bun sized. Came with hollandaised (sp?) sauce and cheddar cheese sprinkled over the top. Also bottomless coffee and grilled potato chunks on the side. Cost 210nt I think or 230nt.

Wasn’t bad but I wasn’t full on that.

A friend had the English Breakfast. Supposed to have pork and beans but it was just beans and … from a can. Had two sausages, two strips of bacon, english muffin(light toasted bun but yummy), costco hashbrown and two eggs for about 240nt. And bottomless coffee.

Just wished the lighting was better but did have that days Taipei Times on hand. Also had two tv’s on showing the news. I got the impression it was more Bar then restaurant.