Jake's Progress *warning: nasty pics*

Hi, there.

We rescued this young guy today, the victim of a cruel deterrent for keeping animals from straying on private property.

Jake’s injuries were so bad that he will have to lose his leg; the operation is being carried out as we speak.

Please, see how you can help Jake today.

http://www.animalstaiwan.org/diary/
warning: more nasty pics

Thank you.

Jake’s amputation and neutering went well, but the injury to his chest is cause for concern, with a very deep puncture wound that is prone to become badly infected.

Jake will stay at the vet for over a week so that they can observe him better and tackle any problems that arise.

He is a little depressed, but he is allowing people to stroke his head, and even seems to enjoy it - probably the first time in a long while he’s had any affection, if ever at all.

If you can offer Jake a temporary home, away from other dogs, for just a few weeks while he is recovering and before he is returned to the mountain, please contact me today.

Thank you.

Sean

Poor Jake. :frowning: Going through a tough time obviously. I hope he recovers quickly.

I’m sure someone out there can lend him a hand.

Once again, great work AnimalsTaiwan!

bobepine

We really need to work to get those vicious traps banned - or to get the ban enforced if it already exists. These injuries to dogs are common in Taiwan, and the traps must pose a danger to humans, too. Who knows, poor old [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/fred-frontier/4798/1 Frontier[/url] could have got caught in a bear trap and ended up being eaten by wild animals himself.

Straydog, I told you the story about how I refused to handle an export ad for Taiwan-made gin traps when I was editing ad copy for the Trade Winds’ Sporting Goods Buyers’ Guide. Credit to the then managing editor of Trade Winds, Don Shapiro (now in charge of Topics magazine) for supporting me and not publishing the ad - much to the consternation of the ad saleswoman who lost the income for that particular client.

Don Shapiro - doggies’ hero

Nice one, Don - and Juba! :notworthy: :bravo:

I agree we need to get those things banned; they’re the Taiwanese equivalent of landmines, if you ask me.

Juba, if you want to start a campaign, I think we can get you a ton of support. Wouldn’t it be great to know that you were the guy to get gin traps banned in Taiwan? :wink:

One generous Forumosan donated some cash towards Jake’s recovery - thank you very much.

Donations are always welcome and much appreciated. For this guy, I am particularly keen to find a foster home for him. It will only be for two weeks, as he will be returned once he has been given the all-clear by the vet.

We will continue to try and home him, of course.

Please let me know if you can help.

Many thanks.

Sean

[quote=“Juba”]Straydog, I told you the story about how I refused to handle an export ad for Taiwan-made gin traps when I was editing ad copy for the Trade Winds’ Sporting Goods Buyers’ Guide. Credit to the then managing editor of Trade Winds, Don Shapiro (now in charge of Topics magazine) for supporting me and not publishing the ad - much to the consternation of the ad saleswoman who lost the income for that particular client.

Don Shapiro - doggies’ hero[/quote]Brilliant story. Good for you, and good for Don Shapiro.

We’d love to help Jake out, and we’ll think about what we can do for him. He’s adorable! We almost wish we could take him in, but I (personally) think he’d be better off by himself or with one other dog somewhere with a loving family, and not with 9 brothers and sisters to pick on him. I’ll ask around though.

Keep up the good work Sean and co (as usual).

(PS. Does anyone have a baseball bat and hacksaw I can borrow? Perhaps the address of someone who was mean to dogs also? Anyone will do… I just need to release some rage right now).

Thanks, Gaboman.

I agree that he’d do better in ‘less crowded’ surroundings, particularly while he’s recovering and getting used to his current status, but I very much appreciate your care and concern for the poor guy.

I went to see Jake last night, and he has surprised the vet with his hardiness, as the injury and infection on/in his chest are much better. Jake also let me scratch his back for a while - a good sign that he can get used to human contact.

Please, if anyone has a space for this guy, at least on a temporary basis, please let me know; you’d really be helping him and AnimalsTaiwan out.

And a big [color=orange]
THANK YOU
[/color] to Dr. Yang at YangMing Veterinary Partners on Tienmu E. Rd for once again refusing to give up on a poorly animal without a fight. He is one of my favourite people in Taiwan, and if you want a vet who truly cares about animals, I cannot recommend him - or his surgical skills - enough. This is the same guy who saved Lazarus. :bravo: :notworthy:

Will keep you posted, but for more details check out our blog diary (link in the original post).

Thanks again, all.

Sean

Cat in trap - nasty photos
Dog’s paw smashed and severed by trap
More victims of traps and other abuse (Kaohsiung City Stray Animal Association)
Pigeon fancier set traps - cat lost both front legs
Forestry worker injured by animal trap (Hong Kong)
More dog injuries (Taizhong)

Ban leghold traps!

The cat with both legs missing now resides at one of our vet’s. You can see a video of her here

And click here to read about Jake’s Progress

[quote=“Stray Dog”]The cat with both legs missing now resides at one of our vet’s. You can see a video of her here

And click here to read about Jake’s Progress[/quote]

Missing both legs??? WHY??? :fume:

I hope there’s a “front” or “rear” missing somewhere there, otherwise my animal knowledge will be turned on its head.
Beautiful cat, though.

Ah, yes. Front legs it is.

She is beautiful, and she gets around just fine, but looks like a tyranna … tyrano … tyranno … T-rex when she does. She can jump up onto the sofa, and down, no problem.

The amazing thing about many of these cats and dogs we see who have such nasty ‘disabilities’ is that they just readjust and get on with life. I’m certain Jake will do the same.

Right now he’s just not sure who the weird guy is who keeps tickling the base of his tail. :s

really cute cats!

Jake when we found him:

Recovering:

Today (we do like putting meat on their bones and a smile on their face):

Jake’s chest infection has finally cleared up and his rehabilitation has begun. He went - reluctantly - for his first walk last week, and started coming into the house a few days ago; he is making it known that he wants to become part of the pack.

He still hates me going to him, but he has started coming to me now, so I am very hopeful about his future. Give me a couple of weeks and I’ll have him completely at ease around me. Jake should be available for adoption in about six weeks, so start thinking about making this brave and noble animal a part of your home today. :wink:

Sean

[color=indigo]
AnimalsTaiwan.org - making a difference since 2004
[/color]

Great picture, Sean, of Jake s big smile. After a tough day, I really appreciated to read Jake’s good news.
Nice to see him go into your house with the others.
Great job :bravo:
Hope he ll find his loving family somewhere

Bonjour, SHARLEE.

I was going to e-mail them to you in the morning, but I guess no need now. I’ll send you some more later, hopefully of Jake enjoying a walk or even a tummy rub! :wink:

Good night.

Jake is looking great. Good job! :notworthy:

Jake’s progres has been slow but sure, and today we had an incredible breakthrough and got some unbelievable pics (if you have ever come to the AnimalsTaiwan holding centre and seen Jake and how feral he still is, you’ll appreciate why we’re so excited :wink: ).

We finally got a collar on Jake, using techniques I saw on The Dog Whisperer. It was all done very calmly and without incident.

And then, uncredibly, he allowed Theresa, one of our new volunteers, to stroke him for about half an hour!

I have video, too, and will post it on our YouTube account, but for now be amazed and very happy, because this is a huge step in Jake’s rehabilitation. Tomorrow we’ll get a harness on him, and then his leash training will begin! :smiley:

What a beautiful dog! Nice to see how much more comfortable he is. :bravo: :slight_smile: