Jandals or sandals?

Question.

If your school had a requirement that while in school issued clothing that you refrain from wearing jandals, but may wear sandals, would you comply?

Would you feel it to be a reasonable request?

Even if this applied to walking on the street after work while still wearing a school T-shirt?

Would it be reasonable to request that school footwear standards are met during break times during working hours?

I find myself split on the issue from talking to both sides of a school that is having some discussion over the issues questioned above.

I’d be interested in reading what others have to say about it. More than likely I’ll agree with you.

uhhh, what’s a jandal?

They seem to be a Kiwi thing. Iron thongs, it would appear. They don’t sound or look terribly comfy.
http://www.iron.co.nz/pages/Jandals.htm

Huh? I thought jandals were just flip-flops.

Yeah jandals are a kiwi thing. The belief is the word or brand name originated from japanese sandals. They are the same thing as flip-flops or thongs.

we had this problem a while back … teachers were fine wearing crap sandals, as long as they had a strap around the heel. you couldn’t, however, put on a pair of birks without that strap, no matter how much better they looked, because that = flip flops.

teachers finally got management to see the light on this issue, although for demonstrations, a heel strap was mandatory (although shoes were understandable preferred).

when i’m done teaching, i’d like to be free to wear what i want. if it was that big a deal, i’d probably take an extra shirt along and change outta the uniform one (which i wouldn’t agree to wear in the first place :wink: ).

things like this just encourage me to work for myself, in the comfort of my own home …

[quote=“xtrain_01”]
things like this just encourage me to work for myself, in the comfort of my own home …[/quote]

D’ya work naked?

why do you wanna know? :laughing:

There are far more important things to worry about. My mum once conceded to me when I was having a teenage strop that she didn’t care what I wore as long as it was clean. (meaning freshly washed)

I wear sandals that almost completely cover the heels and toes - shoes with holes in 'em basically. So it really pissed me off that my school would not let me wear them because they were technically sandals. They were clean and perfectly presentable, but no, I had to wear proper shoes or trainers. Wankers. I ended up wearing my stinkiest grubbiest trainers instead.

I think in Taiwan it is quiote fair to require a strap across the back. Otherwise you’re wearing ‘slippers’. It’s also fair to extend the rule to when wearing the school uniform.

Brian

[quote]we had this problem a while back … teachers were fine wearing crap sandals, as long as they had a strap around the heel. you couldn’t, however, put on a pair of birks without that strap, no matter how much better they looked, because that = flip flops.

teachers finally got management to see the light on this issue, although for demonstrations, a heel strap was mandatory (although shoes were understandable preferred).

when I’m done teaching, I’d like to be free to wear what I want. [/quote]
Holy shit! When I saw this thread, I thought it was about the pupils, not the teachers.
TEACHERS have to wear school uniform? WTF is that all about? Is that a common thing? Its the strangest thing I’ve heard for a while.
Dress code, sure of course, but UNIFORM? What happens if you don’t wear their uniform?

Uniform can consist solely of a bright orange T-shirt with a logo that all foreign teachers put on when they get to work and take off when they leave. Of course the nice jeans, shorts, pants option is there too.

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]I think in Taiwan it is quiote fair to require a strap across the back. Otherwise you’re wearing ‘slippers’. It’s also fair to extend the rule to when wearing the school uniform.

Brian[/quote]

so birks with no strap are slippers, but with a strap aren’t?

Uniform = school T-shirt

But for the kids, surely? You can’t be telling me that the adults are forced to wear such things, can you? :noway: :noway: :noway:

But for the kids, surely? You can’t be telling me that the adults are forced to wear such things, can you? :noway: :noway: :noway:[/quote]

Who on earth would ever wear a company T-shirt or sweat shirt? :blush:

Must be a frickin’ idiot. :noway:

I never have to think “What am I going to wear today?”

Yeah, but your feet aren’t in shot – you have on bright pink jandals in that pic, admit it!

I say… jandals.

If you have to wear the school’s T-shirt, I hope they at least give you a few of them.

There’s no way in hell I’d ever wear a school T-shirt.