Jandals or sandals?

I would think if jandals are too informal then seandals would be so too…

Oh well…

Cheers!

Daryl

I think it’s very unprofessional to wear flip-flops to work. In my school, the children are expected to have indoor shoes with sturdy soles and at least a strap as anything less is not safe. I think the same rule should apply to teachers. Are back straps really so annoying that people can’t handle wearing them to work?

I wear sandals to work only during summer camp or field days and wouldn’t even dare think of wearing flip-flops except when cleaning in the bathroom or kitchen (i.e. hosing things down), getting in and out of the shower, and walking around at the beach. Certainly never thought of wearing them to work.

I don’t think schools are too out of line for asking you to wear appropriate footwear.

I think the original issue was wearing the T-shirt in your own time rather than paid school time and combining the school uniform with flip-flops/jandals/thongs while not present in the school.

An ugly uniform works wonders for avoiding that. The teachers simply don’t want to wear the school’s T-shirt outside of the school.

[quote=“ImaniOU”]I think it’s very unprofessional to wear flip-flops to work. In my school, the children are expected to have indoor shoes with sturdy soles and at least a strap as anything less is not safe. I think the same rule should apply to teachers. Are back straps really so annoying that people can’t handle wearing them to work?

I wear sandals to work only during summer camp or field days and wouldn’t even dare think of wearing flip-flops except when cleaning in the bathroom or kitchen (i.e. hosing things down), getting in and out of the shower, and walking around at the beach. Certainly never thought of wearing them to work.

I don’t think schools are too out of line for asking you to wear appropriate footwear.[/quote]

This is how I think, but then, someone told me, that is because I am brainwashed. :loco:

are these flip flops?

but these are sandals?

whatever the case, it’s hard to argue that a pair of $50 NT taiwanese “sandals” with the strap on the back are more presentable than the first pair shown.

Then that makes two of us.

The price doesn’t matter. It’s more of a safety and health issue. Flip-flops are notoriously low to the ground. Backless shoes, including clogs, can easily come off, especially if you are active (read: recess time) with your students. And the same thing for loose backed sandals.

And I have sent backless and oversized sandals home when children were sent in with them as their indoor shoes.

Take pride in what you wear. Just because it’s not the most glamorous job in the world doesn’t mean you need to dress like a slob. From head to toes.

I’m assuming that we’re talking about outside of work.

I don’t think a company should attempt to dictate what people where outside of work. If teachers want to wear the school T-Shirt with a pair of bunny slippers when they head down to 7-11, that’s should be the perogative of the teachers.

It won’t reflect poorly on school XYZ if a teacher is seen in flip-flops and the school uniform while cruising around town.

On the other hand, I support the right of a business to enforce whatever dress code they want. It’s up to management to decide what image they want to present to the world, and what sort of restrictions they want to put on employees. I’m fine with a school demanding I wear a shirt and tie when I come to work. But if I’m not on the clock they should have no say in what I’m wearing.

During working hours. Maybe you go out at lunch time.

During working hours. Maybe you go out at lunch time.[/quote]I think it’s fair enough that you may be required to wear a school’s tshirt during work hours, but most people consider it dorky, so don’t expect too much enthusiam from staff required to wear it out at lunches.

Another point to consider is the current affairs of legally teaching. Not many are confident enough to stroll the suburbs donning their local kindy tshirt when their ARC is registered at the buxiban upstairs.

Lastly, re the shoes. X-pet, thongs are a no go, but berks or docs are an upper class thong. As long as they’re polished, I say upper class thongs are fine.

During working hours. Maybe you go out at lunch time.[/quote]I think it’s fair enough that you may be required to wear a school’s tshirt during work hours, but most people consider it dorky, so don’t expect too much enthusiam from staff required to wear it out at lunches.

Another point to consider is the current affairs of legally teaching. Not many are confident enough to stroll the suburbs donning their local kindy tshirt when their ARC is registered at the buxiban upstairs.

Lastly, re the shoes. X-pet, thongs are a no go, but berks or docs are an upper class thong. As long as they’re polished, I say upper class thongs are fine.[/quote]

Ok, let’s say the teacher choses to keep the T-shirt on at lunch time. They are wearing a buxiban T-shirt and not a kindy one.
They are wearing bright orange beach jandals. Scooter with no helmet. Smoking. (No, it’s not me)

I’ll wear whatever my school asks me to.

I’m living in the US planning on coming over to Taiwan to teach after I get my BA.

Personally I hate flip flops and sandals, I think they are ugly and foolish looking. I have allways worn basketball shoes and dress shoes on the occasions that warrent them.

I only wore flip flops to the pool. This may be a result of living in a black neighborhood where when I went outside in sandals once a guy said this to me “Oh wassup Moses?!”

Anyway, even though I hate sandals, if the school I worked at told me all I could wear was sandles and no other type of footwear, I’d do it. Its just shoes! Just buy comfortable ones!

[quote=“Ian_Alexander”]I’m living in the US planning on coming over to Taiwan to teach after I get my BA.

Personally I hate flip flops and sandals, I think they are ugly and foolish looking. I have allways worn basketball shoes and dress shoes on the occasions that warrent them.

I only wore flip flops to the pool. This may be a result of living in a black neighborhood where when I went outside in sandals once a guy said this to me “Oh wassup Moses?!”

Anyway, even though I hate sandals, if the school I worked at told me all I could wear was sandles and no other type of footwear, I’d do it. Its just shoes! Just buy comfortable ones![/quote]Well, you might change your mind about Jesus sandals once you experience a Taiwan summer. In Central Australia we get summers of 40 degress+ but they don’t come close in uncomfortability stakes to the 35 degree humidity ridden weather here. Trecking around in your basbetball shoes’ll have you’re feet sweating like a …, like a what, a pig.

[quote=“daryl_ks”]I would think if jandals are too informal then seandals would be so too…

Oh well…

Cheers!

Daryl[/quote]

What the fuck are “seandals”? Are they similar to “jeandals”. Hmmm.