Janet Hsieh, Fun Taiwan TV Host

Classic Post, eh?

She’s not that bad, but there’s a fickleness to her. But then again I feel that about 85% of travel reporters.

Janet seems like a lovely girl, but she is over-exposed and not at a level talent wise (as a TV host or spokesperson/model/rep) where she is deserving of all her attention, so she inevitably rubs some people the wrong way. Plus the show she hosts is just plain bad (not her fault) and if you are comparing her to other hosts on TLC she ranks near the bottom. Not hating on her, she has done really well for herself (seems like she is a spokesperson for almost every product in TW these days), but her success is actually garnering negative returns at this point, not so much with the locals (they can beat the living shit out of any dead horse before ever remotely tiring of it) but more with the English speaking community, and at the end of the day who gives a fuck what we think, at least here on Taiwan.

Maybe she got tired running. Maybe she needs some time on the couch? I don’t think Mafia families here would treat their TV employees like slaves-race horses- yes-but then again you can always get another race horse. Never heard of six families.

posted a few years ago here on F’mosa by i forget who but filed somewhere’. Some punder here had asked how to break into TV here the way
Janet and Jeff and Chocolate had and the bloke’s answer was: and it might be archived here but this what i CPd"

''Try to become an entertainer here as a local. UNLIKE America - where
there are a MYRIAD of opportunities, there are but three here:

1. Sleep your way to the top
  2. Be rich and pay your way in (ASOS: “Da S” and “Shiao S,” for example)
    ***3. Be part of the one of the 6 entertainment “Families.”‘’

[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … ies#p60398](Foreigner TV talents in Taiwan vs. Japan

[quote=“Cola”]Foreigner TV talents in Taiwan vs. Japan

Try to become an entertainer here as a local. UNLIKE America - where there are a MYRIAD of opportunities, there are but three here:

1. Sleep your way to the top
  2. Be rich and pay your way in (ASOS: “Da S” and “Shiao S,” for example)
    3. Be part of the one of the 6 entertainment "Families."

In America 1 and 2 are true, and there exists something like 3, but there is: make it on your own, like the Steppenwolf Theater in Chicago (formed by actors who wanted quality work and a place to do it - so they formed their own outfit), filmmakers like Kevin Smith (ugh) and Robert Rodriegez (ugh) who made their own damn movies and they were decent enough people fought for 'em to get major distribution - and htis goes for coutnless musicians too.

That’s the thing, here: there are almost no opportunities for someone to work their way to the top. Only the most gimmicky and obscure can find 15 minutes here (and die poor) like the “Kinmen (Jinmen) King.”

There’s a reason you see the same 15 people on TV here, and it’s not because everybody loves 'em (they don’t have much choice).

I’d suggest adding salt before you further have to taste your foot you plant in your mouth on this thread.

Peace,

Joe

Odd, but in that post you linked to as authoritative, it was said:

Can’t be both now can it? May I ask if you are just pulling all this out of your ass?

Better! He’s pulling it off FORUMOSA, which as we all know, is part of the INTERNET. So it must be true. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Would that be the same six families that own all of Taipei :slight_smile:

Seriously there are a lot of inbred businesses here and entertainers are definitely part of that. All the chat shows do indeed recycle the same old retarded celebs and their mates but Taiwanese don’t seem to notice. Every now and then Jolin or Jay or Wang Lee Hong will deign to come back from the mainland to plug their latest schtick to the teens before heading back over to make the real moolah.

I found the first few posts on this 34 page thread (!) quite therapeutic: Janet H, though no doubt a good friend and a nice women at home, and, indeed, a bit of a hottie, is annoyingly fake. Can’t bear her. I’ve tried returning to the show thinking she can’t be that bad, and I’ll learn something interesting about Taiwan, and find her just too painful to watch.

Has anyone mentioned the anti-Janet lady who does the middle-brow chinese-language arts show that used to be shown on Saturday morning. She seems to be based in Kaoshiung. Much more natural and grounded and also a hottie in my humble opinion.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]Would that be the same six families that own all of Taipei :slight_smile:

Seriously there are a lot of inbred businesses here and entertainers are definitely part of that. All the chat shows do indeed recycle the same old retarded celebs and their mates but Taiwanese don’t seem to notice. Every now and then Jolin or Jay or Wang Lee Hong will deign to come back from the mainland to plug their latest schtick to the teens before heading back over to make the real moolah.[/quote]

When I read that post by “Joe Thanks” about the six families, the way I read it was that he meant “six entertainment mafia-controlled families”, using mafia
in the sense of “family”, since I have always heard that gangsters used to control all entertainment in Taiwan in 1960s and 70s and even today, witness Jacky Wu
getting in trouble from time to time with mafia here and bats coming out etc. So I was just wondering, speculating, are there 6 gangster groups that run the TV
business even today? That’s what I thought Joe meant by “families” – not the Chens or the Huangs or the Liaos. The Bamboo Union gang and 5 others. Any truth to this?

Odd, but in that post by Joe Thanks that you linked to as authoritative, Joe said:

Can’t be both now can it? May I ask if Joe was just pulling all this out of his ass?[/quote]

Probably he was. Maybe he will post here later. By the way, I think Japanese TV is run the same way, by gangster groups, and it’s possible that Taiwan picked up this
way of control from their Japanese brothers. I’m not talking here about gangsters with tattoos, but the high-level bosses with college degress and suits who run the sophisticated parts of the mafia biz here.

Entertainers in the 1970s to 1990s had notorious links with gangsters as they often came out of the sleazy side of the business and night club/dance club circuit. Even if they didn’t come from that background many attracted great fame and wealth and gangsters would target them for extortion. This is probably one of the reasons many emigrated to Canada and the US.
Nowadays it seems that entertainment is controlled by media companies , agents and producers. The wholesome image is in, the people who make the most money out of advertising are young, female and good looking or with some professional background like lawyers and doctors to back up their crappy talk-shows .

I need to get in touch with Janet for a media thing. Can anyone hook me up?

Hmmmm… How do we know it’s genuine? :wink:

Her Facebook page:

http://zh-tw.facebook.com/janethsiehonline

Her Facebook page:

http://zh-tw.facebook.com/janethsiehonline[/quote]
She’ll add you as a “friend”, but she doesn’t easily, if ever, answer messages or even her posts. But worth a shot.

If you’re involved in the media somehow, it may be better to just try and get hold of her agent.

In other words, “Have your people talk to her people.” :sunglasses:

In other words, “Have your people talk to her people.” :sunglasses:[/quote]
Something like that! :smiley:

How do you say…“Restraining Order” in Taiwanese?.. :whistle: