Janet Hsieh, Fun Taiwan TV Host

After reading this thread, I went on the net to see if I could find some clips online. A few here and there. Wish I could find all the episodes. I can’t image they’d care if people are watching this outside of Taiwan for free since it’s like a paid ad for Taiwan anyway.

I leave my TV tuned to the Travel Channel and love travel/food shows of all types.

If anyone knows Janet personally can you tell her to talk to her bosses about putting all the episodes online somewhere? Thanks!

[quote=“Oxtail”]After reading this thread, I went on the net to see if I could find some clips online. A few here and there. Wish I could find all the episodes. I can’t image they’d care if people are watching this outside of Taiwan for free since it’s like a paid ad for Taiwan anyway.

I leave my TV tuned to the Travel Channel and love travel/food shows of all types.

If anyone knows Janet personally can you tell her to talk to her bosses about putting all the episodes online somewhere? Thanks![/quote]
I sent her a message on Facebook, but I can’t guarantee a response because I don’t know her personally (only via FB), and I suspect she’s a hell of a lot busier than me…

I doubt it, you’re right in that it’s basicially a soft-core propaganda/ego-inflation tool for people living here. As others have pointed out it’s always positive (over the top actually). I don’t care for this singular perspective in any ‘travel’ show, but this one really goes for the gold. I mean, I understand promoting a place for tourism and not focusing on negative things is common sense, but this one is just unbelievably insulting to one’s intelligence.

The new co-host basically acts and talks the same way as Janet, oooing and ahhhing over something most humans would at best classify as mildly interesting, and at worst unbelievably boring.

There’s only so much material to work with, the producers of this show should just know when to say when. Work on something else dealing with Taiwan, you can show stuff with a more realistic viewpoint and still point it in a positive direction. You know, something actually constructive instead of the nauseating back-patting. I can only imagine how long a brother show called Fun Canada would last, going into the country to provide seemingly endless fantastical episodes about the magical world of maple syrup-sappers, loggers and fishermen in action, drinking Molson and watching hockey.

To add, I like to see a show where they find some Taiwanese with interesting life stories/success stories and maybe interview 2 of them each show. They can talk about what they’ve experienced in their life, what Taiwan was like in the past, how they see it now, and how they would like to see it in the future/their personal thoughts and ideas. Of course to do this it will require the extra effort of doing English subs, and having some actual interviewing/journalism skills instead of showing a mountain and goo-goo ga ga-ing all over it, but it would at least be something worthwhile, interesting and productive.

its probably all pretty low budget anyway.

It would take a DISCOVERY CHANNEL production to do what you envision (great ideas tho).

TV is made for and by idiots. I don’t find her as annoying as:

1. The flood of shows hosted by Aussies who annoy snakes and other dangerous creatures and jump around like they are retarded :loco:
  2. Japanese food contest shows that are an hour long consisting of celebrities watching people cook food and screaming “EhhhhHHHHHH” and “Se goi nei”
  3. Fat Americans running around Asia eating bugs and other weird things
  4. Fear Factor: I was saw Joe Rogan ask a contestant “What will you do if you win the $10,000 dollar prize?” Answer: Buy a Mercedes and travel the world. Me: No honey, you’ll buy a used Ford and catch a budget flight to Denver. Idiot.
    I could go on and on.

I repeat: TV is for idiots. Don’t want to see idiots? Watch Jeopardy. :discodance:

It’s shown around Asia.

They’re going to focus on Taiwanese living in other countries now, from what I hear.

Discovery Channel is the one paying for it anyway right now.

I’m in agreement on the over positive stuff…but I understand Taiwan, they just can’t take criticism, especially from foreigners. Travel & Living almost always does ‘positive’ shows, that’s what they do. There is a market for more real shows I believe and somebody will exploit it.
Also Taiwan is too small to endlessly go round and round…there’s just not that many places to go after a while! Time for Janet to move on. Probably would have if there was much else…

As for the choice of the co-presenter, surely a male co-presenter would have balanced things out. Why did they choose Janet Mark II?

Maybe Janet is going to leave the show and they are grooming her successor ? Anyone got pics of the new cutie?

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that the government was paying for it and giving it free to Disco to air. The series jumped the shark long ago. Discovery would have pulled the plug at least a season ago, and more likely after the first one was over, if they were footing the bill.

That’s the deal. They’re pure government puff-pieces. But I still like 'em. They’re fun. Sure, they could pander to redwagon, et al, and focus on the petrochemical plants in Mailiao, etc., but FFS! Who would do that? Look at Tourism Scotland. Or Tourism anyplace! How many Scottish Tourist Board productions are there about the joys of, say, the oil refineries at Grangemouth?
Its fucking TOURISM! Its not supposed to be a complete picture. :unamused:

[quote=“redwagon”][quote=“Puppet”]
Discovery Channel is the one paying for it anyway right now.
[/quote]
Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that the government was paying for it and giving it free to Disco to air. The series jumped the shark long ago. Discovery would have pulled the plug at least a season ago, and more likely after the first one was over, if they were footing the bill.[/quote]
That’s just from an interview I saw while trying to figure out who she is. I assumed it was still the same. I’d be willing to admit I’m wrong.

That’s the deal. They’re pure government puff-pieces. But I still like 'em. They’re fun. Sure, they could pander to redwagon, et al, and focus on the petrochemical plants in Mailiao, etc., but FFS! Who would do that? Look at Tourism Scotland. Or Tourism anyplace! How many Scottish Tourist Board productions are there about the joys of, say, the oil refineries at Grangemouth?
Its fucking TOURISM! Its not supposed to be a complete picture. :unamused:[/quote]

:roflmao: :thumbsup:

I promise you all, Mailiao is in the next LP Taiwan. And Wugu alone gets a sub-chapter.

So the Taiwanese Govt pays for Fun Taiwan? :ponder:

That explains why local commercials cut in on NGC, CNN, and AXN, but oddly never T&L, Discovery and Animal Planet. The word for today kids is collusion.

No no, it’s not that I give a shit what is on the show per se. I give a shit because it’s obvious advertising. Sure, many of the shows on T&L are advertising fluff by nature but most of them are a lot more subtle and they know when to stop.

But since you mention it, I wish someone would give a group like Wild at Heart some money to do a documentary on Taiwan’s environmental issues. I’m sure they could do more useful things with a tenth of the money Janet and crew get.

She’s not just cute. She’s in pretty good shape, too.

merchphoto.com/nadiac.html#nogo

I think she’s channeling Grover!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-O1RR-Pmdc

Janet Hsieh is annoying and overacts. She does not represent the Taiwanese female at all, who is far more reserved and inhibited. I guess TW producers don’t know how to appeal to a western audience other than giving them a dorky persona with cheesy antics. lol

Do any of you ever roll your eyes when she makes cheesy antics? See this clip for instance:

youtube.com/watch?v=g-Kgj-L_G-8

I found these blogs making fun of her too. Check them out. They are hilarious.

janet-hsieh-sucks.blogspot.com
janethsiehsucks.wordpress.com

She isn’t a Taiwanese female. She is from Texas. Her shows are great.

She isn’t a Taiwanese female. She is from Texas. Her shows are great.[/quote]
And she’s hot. Plays the violin. She isn’t afraid to try new things or go out in the sun without covering herself head to foot.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: I WISH she would paint her toenails a deep burgundy.