Janet Hsieh, Fun Taiwan TV Host

Wow Mr. Sunshine!

She needs more cow bell.

Check. She needs A cowbell.[/quote]
Yeah? Mr. Jealous just a tad? HA! HA! No matter how hard you try, your teeth-baring rictus just is not going to cut the mustard. You have to keep the happy eyes, you see? Who’s going to employ someone with that kind of grin when the eyes are saying “I’m gonna rip your heart right outta yer chest and feed it to the Chief while its still beating, motherFUCKER!”
You just don’t unnerstand Taiwanese TV, that’s your problem right there.

Is she the Taiwanese-American girl on the Travel channel or Discovery, who visits local places and people, eats the local food and chats with them? An intro to Taiwan with a tour guide who is clearly American but can speak Chinese (and some Taiwanese)?

I don’t know if that’s Janet or not, but that girl seems pleasant enough to me. Not stunningly beautiful or sexy like Janet Li, but she seems like a nice person and a decent tour guide to Taiwan.

Yes.

Yes.[/quote]

In that case, I agree with what you said above. I wouldn’t put her naked on the side of a bus selling beauty products. She doesn’t look like a fashion model; more of an average girl. But she seems like a decent person and decent host of a travel program (ie., expected to be more educational than titillating). I wonder why some people are irritated by her. Jealousy?

She graduated from MIT. I think she’ll be able to do slightly better than landing a job at a Hooters in Orange County.

I don’t have a TV now so I’m probably missing out on the whole overexposure angle, but the couple of times I’ve caught her show, I thought it to be well done. Her disposition comes across as very American: enthusiastic, very wlling to chat with new people, and self-confident. I’d say she’s a better role model for young girls than any other Taiwanese female on TV.

I saw her once filming a segment while I was taking some pictures at a fish market in Nanfang’ao. I was too bashful and didn’t go over and say hello. I wish I had.

She’s got a dream job and doing very well at it. More power to her.[/quote]

What a wonderful thread, eh? Another shining example of how so many Forumosa posters are such positive, warm people, always building up and never tearing down.

I agree with alidarbac. I’ve seen her show a few times, thought it was well done.

I’m sure Janet is laughing all the way to the bank. Good on her.

Agree with alidarbac and MT, nothing wrong with her. Maybe not a model but a decent presenter. I also recall that zerosum took a picture of her, see here.

Didn’t we already have a thread about Janet?

I still kinda like her, btw. I agree that that show being in English, Chinese and Taiwanese, but with Chinese subtitles only, says a lot about the target audience.

[quote=“irishstu”]Didn’t we already have a thread about Janet?

I still kinda like her, btw. I agree that that show being in English, Chinese and Taiwanese, but with Chinese subtitles only, says a lot about the target audience.[/quote]
With everything being subtitled in Chinese here in Taiwan I don’t see the problem, or what other/how may subtitles do you want?
And if I am not mistaken they can be easily changed or removed to suit the location of the broadcast.

[quote=“Rascal”][quote=“irishstu”]Didn’t we already have a thread about Janet?

I still kinda like her, btw. I agree that that show being in English, Chinese and Taiwanese, but with Chinese subtitles only, says a lot about the target audience.[/quote]
With everything being subtitled in Chinese here in Taiwan I don’t see the problem? Or what other/how may subtitles do you want?
And if I am not mistaken they can be easily changed or removed to suit the location of the broadcast.[/quote]

What I mean is, if it’s for a Chinese/Taiwanese audience, then why bother with her speaking English in the first place? Unless it is in an ICRT-like attempt to make the local audience feel good about how international they all are. And frankly I think that’s the reason.

We seem to be talking about two Janets here, Janet Li and Janet Hsieh. I personally think both of them are good looking girls.

I can’t understand what the OP’s problem with with “Fancy Janet” is. :loco:

Whatever. :stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s that thread. Actually, it wasn’t a thread specifically about Janet, but she does get a mention:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … highlight=

I think she’s lovely, and I’d be absolutely delighted to take her along on a hiking and/or river-tracing trip.

She’s recently lost quite a bit of weight (apparently on the instructions of her handlers, who thought her a bit too meaty for general Taiwanese taste), and I think she’s looking pretty hot now. She certainly wouldn’t disgrace a bikini or less, and has enough to get my lecherous old eyes popping out of my head.

As well as having a pleasant and bubbly personality, she also happens to be very talented and smart. I’ve read that she played the violin in the White House when she was something like ten years old, and she has highly impressive academic credentials as well as polyglot skills that I and most others could never even dream of achieving.

She’s a cut above most other “personalities” on local TV, and with her fine array of attributes, should be able to achieve pretty much whatever she wishes to in the future.

Are they close to her right now?[/quote]
Yep. And if they like her, she’s probably a pretty good person. Maybe someday I’ll have the pleasure. :rainbow: I’ve seen her travel show. It’s pretty good for what it is. At any rate, it’s not offensive. :idunno:

Hell, that means nothing. Monica Lewinsky played the flute in the White House and she’s no genius.

She probably doesn’t care what the foreigners think about her … she’s counting her money right now … anyways, why isn’t she posting here?

Whatever. All I know is that the show would be whole lot better if it was Bubba 2 guns presenting it.

I’m with the people who think Janet is a good choice for the program she’s in. She seems intelligent, wholesome, friendly, inquisitive . . . Maybe they have her speak English at the camera to remind people that this is someone seeing Taiwan through fresh/foreign eyes.

I was Janet Li’s English teacher way back when. I remember her telling me when she was going to start working as a VJ. She was 17 at the time; a pleasant girl and a fine student. She’s been back for more classes since then and seems very down-to-earth for a local celeb.

What would you guys do if you gained some fame and the advertisers came knocking at your door offering to fly you around and pay you NT$100,000 (I’m guessing here) for a few hours work?

I don’t particularly like S.H.E. ads or the “exploitation of Fancy Janet”, but I can understand that you make hay while the sun shines.

[quote=“Tomas”][quote=“alidarbac”][quote=“TainanCowboy”]This one…feh…she’ll milk it for all the locals are paying her and return to the USA where her ‘Taiwan creds’ will help her land a job at Hooters in Orange County.[/quote]She graduated from MIT. I think she’ll be able to do slightly better than landing a job at a Hooters in Orange County.[/quote]A reference to the importance of Taiwan media work to the Los Angeles cinema/media scene. Her birthplace was Houston, Texas, maybe a news reader job there would be more applicable for reference[quote=“Tomas”]I don’t have a TV now so I’m probably missing out on the whole overexposure angle, but the couple of times I’ve caught her show, I thought it to be well done. Her disposition comes across as very American: enthusiastic, very wlling to chat with new people, and self-confident. I’d say she’s a better role model for young girls than any other Taiwanese female on TV.
I saw her once filming a segment while I was taking some pictures at a fish market in Nanfang’ao. I was too bashful and didn’t go over and say hello. I wish I had.
She’s got a dream job and doing very well at it. More power to her.[/quote]
What a wonderful thread, eh? Another shining example of how so many Forumosa posters are such positive, warm people, always building up and never tearing down.
I agree with alidarbac. I’ve seen her show a few times, thought it was well done.
I’m sure Janet is laughing all the way to the bank. Good on her.[/quote]
Yeah…she’s wonderful. And I never claimed to be a ‘shining example of warmth’ so save yer judgments for someone who gives a toot.
I find her shallow and too ‘cutesy’. My wife, who is also Taiwanese, thinks so as well. Perfect for Taiwan, eh? And yes, I have watched her shows quite a few times in hopes of learning more about the island. I even tried to like the episode on Racing Pigeons she did here in Tainan county, but it was hard to watch and follow for me.
For me, its hard to follow the program as I do not speak or understand Chinese or much Taiwanese. And Yes, I know thats my fault and not hers.
So what? Thats also my opinion. Yours are obviously different.

I do like some of the other travels hosts even though they do not include English. A couple were mentioned.

And as to being an MIT graduate…so? Do you really think that means a hill of beans for this job?

Good for her having the gig. I hope she makes a pile of money. Maybe she’ll then go into Taiwan politics. I think she also does commercial work for Hong Kong and maybe Macao. She’s the flavor of the year. Hit it while its hot.

Just don’t be snobbish to someone who has a differing opinion.

[quote=“irishstu”]

What I mean is, if it’s for a Chinese/Taiwanese audience, then why bother with her speaking English in the first place? Unless it is in an ICRT-like attempt to make the local audience feel good about how international they all are. And frankly I think that’s the reason.[/quote]

Bingo.

As a further comment, I’d like to add that my opinions here have all been about the production itself and not this person “Janet” in particular. So far no one has chimed in to say they know her. Why is her real life personality an issue here? She’s a character. Let’s discuss her show as a production-- art criticism, if you will-- and let’s not put each other down just because the show isn’t everybody’s cup o’ tea.

It does say, ‘skip if you love her’.