Japan nuclear body says radioactive water at Fukushima an 'emergency'

reuters.com/article/2013/08/ … 8V20130806

No, this is not old news from a couple years ago…

This is news today.

The highly radioactive water have surged pass the concrete containment to ground surface.

[quote]In a bid to prevent more leaks into the bay of the Pacific Ocean, plant workers created the underground barrier by injecting chemicals to harden the ground along the shoreline of the No. 1 reactor building. But that barrier is only effective in solidifying the ground at least 1.8 meters below the surface.

By breaching the barrier, the water can seep through the shallow areas of earth into the nearby sea. More seriously, it is rising toward the surface - a break of which would accelerate the outflow.

“If you build a wall, of course the water is going to accumulate there. And there is no other way for the water to go but up or sideways and eventually lead to the ocean,” said Masashi Goto, a retired Toshiba Corp nuclear engineer who worked on several Tepco plants. “So now, the question is how long do we have?”[/quote]

The radio active water leaking into the ocean hasn’t stopped, and is getting worse, as if it wasn’t bad enough when last year.

Que the pacific is huge, what’s a few hundred trillion becquerels of radioactive tritium gonna to change argument…

Emergency for whom? How much radiation are we talking here? These details make or break a story…

For some bored reporter… don’t worry, it’s really just an exercise in attention grabbing…

How much radiation? Next to nothing, compared to the levels of radiation inside the sun.

It’s just some story without a recognizable context, so why worry…

If you want some context, though, you can perhaps use this:

:2cents:

It was recently reported that during these past two and a half years am average of 300 tonnes of radioactive waste water has leaked onto the ocean every day. So much for all those corny stories about old Japanese working on the Fukushima site, and what ever other rubbish they’ve been telling the world. They should have been more transparent about this and requested international help. It’s clear the Japanese don’t have the skill to contain the issue.

300 tons of contaminated water… how contaminated?

I think it’s 300 Tons per day!
How contaminated or how much contaminated.
Basically, they found cesium in the water and I don’t have the number for how much cesium they measured.

It doesn’t really matter if it’s too diluted for causing any harm to the human body.
Since these materials behave in nature similar to minerals. The organism in the ocean will make sure to recollect these contaminations, then enrich them up the food chain, and finally deliver it back onto your dining table.

When you come down with Thyroid cancer or leukemia ten years later, let me assure you that it won’t be a front-page story.

it was a few thousand times more than is safe for drinking water.

I believe their latest plan is to freeze the groundwater permanently.

A Nuclear engineer with a Tsinhua University’s graduate degree wrote a article for president Ma online, in there he used this metaphor for nuclear power.

[quote]
If there is a kind of car today that uses a very special fuel. You have to purchase this fuel directly from the dealer. The fuel is only a quarter of the price of gasoline. But there are two issues with the car:

1. The engine’s cooling system can never stop. Even if you drive the car home and shut down the engine, the pump for the cooling system must keep on running. If this cooling system fails, the engine will burn up, releasing toxic gas. The toxic gas will kill the cells in your bone, blood and skin in an instant, and the cell will not be able to regenerate. Even if it doesn’t kill you instantly, you will die a painful death with cancer. Whether you will die right away or how you die of course depends on your luck. But the dealer assures you there’s a backup small engine to guarantee the cooling system will keep working, so there’s nothing to worry about. Well, unless you wrecked your car too badly (a.k.a. exceeding the design parameters), nothing bad will happen.

2. While it is very very environmentally friends, since it “doesn’t produce carbon-dioxide, just toxic materials,” the toxic materials so far has no cure. So you can’t just dump it anywhere. The clever engineers stores these toxic materials on a special fridge on the car. However, this fridge, like the cooling system, can never stop. Once it stop the toxic material will escape, and the result will be similar to a cooling pump failure.

But of course the dealer assures you there is a giant backup battery to keep the fridge running, so unless you wrecked your car too badly (a.k.a. exceeding the design parameters), nothing bad will happen.

The car will operate for 40 years, which is a pretty good deal. But when you scrap it, you must find a hole, where there won’t be any geological changes for 100,000 years, to store all the toxic materials you’ve generated over the years. Your children and grandchildren however will be responsible for maintaining the storage for generations.

The price for such a car is 3 times the price of a normal car.

Would you call this kind of vehicle safe, clean and cheap? Would you buy it for your family and drive it? If you, nor should you consider nuclear power as a clean, safe and cheap power source.[/quote]

I found a better source of information about the situation:
news.nationalgeographic.com/news … ater-leak/

I was asking “how contaminated” because it matters how much radioactive material is being released, not how much water is being released… but I answered my own question with the link above.

It’s not a defect its a feature …

Welcome to Fukushima Seaside Hot Springs Resorts!
Let our naturally heated salt waters melt all your troubles away !

[quote=“Xeno”]I found a better source of information about the situation:
news.nationalgeographic.com/news … ater-leak/

I was asking “how contaminated” because it matters how much radioactive material is being released, not how much water is being released… but I answered my own question with the link above.[/quote]

Sorry! you misunderstood.

I was not referring to how much water, instead, how contaminated as to, what kind of materials and how much contaminated to the quantity of those materials.

As you said, it’s all answered in the link you provided.

[quote]Q: How much and what sort of radiation is leaking from the plant into the Pacific?

TEPCO said Monday that radiation levels in its groundwater observation hole on the east side of the turbine buildings had reached 310 becquerels per liter for cesium-134 and 650 becquerels per liter for cesium-137. That marked nearly a 15-fold increase from readings five days earlier, and exceeded Japan’s provisional emergency standard of 60 becquerels per liter for cesium radiation levels in drinking water. (Drinking water at 300 becquerels per liter would be approximately equivalent to one year’s exposure to natural background radiation, or 10 to 15 chest X-rays, according to the World Health Organization. And it is far in excess of WHO’s guideline advised maximum level of radioactivity in drinking water, 10 becquerels per liter.) Readings fell somewhat on Tuesday. A similar spike and fall preceded TEPCO’s July admission that it was grappling with leakage of the radioactive water. (See related: “Would a New Nuclear Plant Fare Better than Fukushima?”)[/quote]

This is an interesting thread. I ate fish at a wedding last weekend, and it was the first time in a couple of years outside North America. I have a feeling that we will see many cancer clusters in Japan and surrounding areas, like Taiwan and South Korea, as a result of the Fukishima Disaster. It will be difficult to pinpoint it exactly to the disaster with all the other environmentally hazardous materials being dumped into the Western Pacific by all countries in East Asia. I seriously considered going Vegan in East Asia after watching “The Cove.” Has anyone seen local advisories about the mercury content or toxicity of the fish in this region?

[wikipedia]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cove_(film)[/wikipedia]

For some reason, URLs (or at least the Wikipedia ones) ending in a parenthesis don’t work. So here it is, shortened:

is.gd/The_Cove

it just won’t quit making news…

worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013 … illed?lite

Crippled Fukushima nuclear plant: 300 tons of radioactive water spilled.

the concentration is 80 MBq,

What I’d like to know, is how this will affet us lot in Taiwan? Are there any species of fish we should be avoiding more than others (for potential contamination concerns). For instance, most cod in Taiwan seems to be imported from Japanese waters by Hokkaido.

The level of contamination is key, besides I think the toxins we breathe in every day are surely more dangerous to our health.

Still an interesting read, after 2 and a half years: the Fukushima thread in the “Physicsforums”

physicsforums.com/showthread … 0&page=832

Yes, will it affect those of us who can only afford Sushi Express?

Source:
bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-2 … -leak.html

Of course, the ocean is a simple, predictable one-track-style mechanism that reliably dilutes radioactive pollution.

That is to say, there are no mechanisms at work in the ocean that might concentrate such pollution anywhere, such as in silt, plancton, fish, or such. And so we can also rest assured that none of it will ever get into our own bodies.

We have to be grateful for every (re-)assurance we hear from a representative of homo sapiens, the universe’s most advanced species of animal, with hundreds of thousands of years of experience successfully dealing with nuclear waste. Nobody, yes, nobody!, has a comparable predictive power and foresight as to what will and what won’t happen in the oceans and elsewhere!

:bow: :smiley:

The J government lies to its people every chance it can and it’s a sad tragic event over there now. That nations is cooked, cooked. Abe lies every chance he can. It is part of J culture to lie to the citizens in order to protect the faux pride and faux glory of the Rising Sun flag and all its myth making. THe people there should rise up and resolt over Fukushima. Another Meiji Era is needed. The Abe Era sucks. he is killing and condemning his own people. The J people know this but they cannot speak out. Straitjackets of culture keep them quiet.