Japan wants younger people to drink more alcohol

This is crazy :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: just goes to show how Countries taxes rely so much on alcohol tax.

4 Likes

I read that earlier. It’s quite a headscratcher.

I guess that means they’re still smoking enough cigarettes

How about that Marijuana Tax revenue?

4 Likes

Here’s a suggestion based on personal observations.

Quit making drunk teenagers and businessman in their suits sleep on the sidewalk because they missed the last train home.

Set up free safe sleeping spaces for drunk people.

5 Likes

Use the trains!

One can of beer puts the average adult over the legal limit here in Japan. Restaurants have stopped serving beer because they – and any passengers in a vehicle – can be prosecuted if a driver drinks one beer and then has a serious accident. The real kicker though is all it takes is for a police office to say you’re DUI and that’s enough to find you guilty. As a result people are terrified of even having one drink here if they’ll be operating any kind of vehicle the rest of the day. It’s been clear to me for a while that alcohol consumption is nose-diving and no PR campaign is going to reverse that trend.

Charges Based on Appearance and Actions
The more serious of the two, 酒酔い運転 is a charge made at a police officer’s discretion, and its issue is not dependent on a breathalyzer result. If an officer evaluates you as having impaired cognitive ability or as being unable to safely operate your vehicle and suspects alcohol as the cause, you may be charged with 酒酔い運転. It is a 35 point offence, meaning immediate revocation of your license for three years, regardless of your driving history.

4 Likes

So overall, a social good then.

Guy

4 Likes

Being found guilty based on appearances and actions only is going too far for a due process person like myself. I’m good with the zero tolerance policy but think it should be based on evidence and not only on a police officer’s “discretion”.

4 Likes

Oh, I didn’t mean the policing or prosecution part. I simply meant the decline in consumption, which is the exact part I quoted above.

Guy

I actually had to look up the numbers. The Japanese market lost 14 million smokers between 2002 and 2019.

How much of that was natural wastage?

1 Like

The money we’ll get from turning our young people into alcoholics will surely exceed the money we lost from tourism!!!

The entire Japanese government should just commit hara kiri with that kind of math.

2 Likes

Legalize dope. That makes money, plus boosts consumption of cookie dough.

4 Likes

Mmmm… Cookieeeee doughhhhhhh

Now that’s a policy I can get behind.

Cheaper to let people die younger than pay for elderly care.

They already have too many elderly. If the young people all die, the robots need to come soon.

1 Like

Maybe the Japanese government could subsidize some Ryanair flights from the UK.

3 Likes

Flights and hotel for 300 quid or they won’t come.

Spiking the following with sake?