šŸ‡ÆšŸ‡µ Japan | Winter in Japan (Things to do?)

The Americas also has amazing foods. What would our world be like without hot peppers and the like?

Guy

Snow monsters and snow foxes in Zaō.

Snow wall in Tateyama Kurobe

Crabs in Hokkaido

Any Onsen village, letā€™s say Kusatsu

1 Like

I see your Kusatsu, and raise itā€”also in Gunmaā€”to Hōshi Onsen.

Guy

2 Likes

Once youā€™ve tried outdoor onsens youā€™ll never go back to indoor onsens:

3 Likes

We are talking about heading north for the winter and checking out Hokkaido ā€“ and Japan at 140 JPY per US dollar.

If we do not ski, anything else we might look out for over there?

Iā€™m going to study this post in the meantime: Family Trip To Hokkaido 2008 - Travel / International Travel - Forumosa

Has anyone recently been to any place on this list?

3 Likes

If you eat seafood, Hokkaido is in a class of its own.

If you like hotsprings, that should also be a priority.

Enjoy!

Guy

2 Likes

Service is generally poor in Hokkaido at the moment because hotels, restaurants and tourist sites havenā€™t been able to ramp up their staff enough to handle the influx of tourists.

1 Like

Hokkaido is well known for hot springs and I really want to go. Iā€™m wondering, are these mostly private onsens, public, or a mixture of both? I fear the private ones might be too pricey, and the public ones might not allow me because of one small chest tattoo. Does anyone have experience in this area?

When I lived in Japan, yes this would cause problems, as it is associated implicitly with gangsters and their associates.

Following massive global flows of tourists into Japan, I donā€™t know if this is still an issue. It would likely however cause some elderly folksā€”either proprietors or fellow guestsā€”to grind their teeth.

@DKaoshuing what do you think about this?

Guy

1. Sapporo Art Park
    Yup, during a blizzard. Awesome
  1. Asahikawa Zoo
    Again, awesome. Polar bears vs Penguins.

Iā€™d eat all the soft ice cream you find, and all the sashimi. The local wines are wonderful. And the hole in the wall ramen places are superb.

1 Like

Not a fan of Hokkaido ramen. The corn they dump in there, mixed with miso, makes for a sweetish soupā€”bleah!

Guy

1 Like

Tatā€™s are more acceptable recently, and even if its not some allow bad aid cover up for small ones. Here in Baltics, the sauna is nice to warm up from this

Its been cold few days with temps not above 0. On Friday it was 25+ in morning at KHH. ha, no masks here but maybe one is useful just keep the warm air in. No warming here now.

2 Likes

If youā€™re interested in cross-country skiing, Takino Suzuran Park in Sapporo is one of the best places to go. Call ahead to reserve rental equipment and to check whether thereā€™s a race that day. You can also snowshoe and do tubing - itā€™s great for kids. Admission in the winter is free, but itā€™s a good place to go in warm weather, too.

1 Like

Itā€™s way off the beaten path but the oysters in Akkeshi, Hokkaido are the best Iā€™ve ever had.

2 Likes

Tragedies in Japan, as one Taiwanese died in a skiing accident in Hokkaido on Monday. Earlier in January, a Taiwanese college student reportedly died after a snow boarding accident in Nagano.

Guy

1 Like

Sad to see this. I know a few Taiwan go ski with no lessons at all, not so safe if you know nothing (I seen a few can not stop, going out of control). Helmut is nice (but if fall into the river its not good, disclaimer I never use one either though well aware where I ski)

1 Like

I ski in Hokkaido every year and itā€™s like a war zone on the slopes. Beginning skiers from China, Taiwan etc. deciding theyā€™re going to start at the top on their first day and their bodies littering the slopes all the way down. Snowmobile ambulances going every which way. Itā€™s mind boggling seeing hordes of xiaojies who can barely stand up on their skis falling repeatedly at the start of a black diamond run. Theyā€™ve either got balls of brass or brains of stuffing - or some combination of the two.

I suppose on the positive side of the ledger this could help boost Hokkaidoā€™s medical tourism industry. :neutral_face:

Guy