Japanese Commissioners, 1895 - 1945

Can anyone point me to an online reference for a listing of the Japanese Commissioners/Governors stationed in Taiwan during the 1895 to 1945 period?

Names, and the dates of their appointments would be the key elements I would be seeking.

I would like to have a listing in English/Mandarin bilingual, but of course would settle for English/Japanese bilingual (since I could have my Japanese friend print it out on his computer which is set for Japanese characters . . . . )

I am fairly sure this is what you are looking for. You might want to get a Japanese friend to translate all those names into English though.
fg.tp.edu.tw/~nancy/B6.htm

The list includes

As a matter of fact, I do have a listing similar to this from a Japanese book which a friend photocopied for me.

What I need now is a bilingual listing with the “standardized spellings” of the Japanese names indicated in English.

I updated the list above with help from a Japanese friend. He translated most of them. Using the list, I found the following:
rulers.org/rult.html (scroll down to the “Japanese rule” section under Taiwan)
worldstatesmen.org/Taiwan.html

Hope the translated list will at least help you get started on what you need to do.

scchu

I forgot to mention: the list translated by my friend mirrors what I have found on two different sources. So I’d say it’s pretty damn accurate if that’s what you are worried about. Care to share what the list might be used for? I never would have thought to look into something like that. Now you have opened this whole new door for me to look into the Taiwan under these governors, their policies and influences over Taiwan pre-1945.

scchu

I was doing some research on the 1895 Peace Treaty between Japan and China.

CKS claims that he cancelled this Treaty in the late 1930’s, and hence “the sovereignty of Taiwan/Pescadores was returned to China” at that time. Yet, I can’t seem to find any international law reference which allows for the unilateral cancellation of an international treaty . . . . especially when the provisions of the treaty don’t allow for any such cancellation.

Also, from looking at the listing of Japanese Commissioners/Governors stationed in Taiwan during the 1895 to 1945 period, it is clear that Japan ruled Taiwan up through Oct. 25, 1945. In other words, the end of Japanese rule in Taiwan did not occur after CKS made his cancellation announcement.

By this basis it is quite clear why the ROC on Taiwan is not regarded as a “sovereign country”. Any Chinese claims to the contrary are just based on their own historical fictions.

Thanks for the overview of your research.

So does this confirm that 1.) ROC and PRC do not have sovereignty over Taiwan, and 2.) Taiwan, in theory, still belongs to Japan? But at the end of WWII, Japan signed an unconditional agreement returning Taiwan to China (just assumption and “common knowledge”), hence effectively overriding whatever treaty there was before? So, “cancellation” may not be possible, but can’t one treaty/peace agreement override another? I am a little confused.

Here’s one summary. So the Japanese surrendered to the ROC in 1945, but only officially renounced their claim on Taiwan in 1951, and noone was assigned sovereignty.

So it would seem that Japan doesn’t own Taiwan, and the ROC is no longer at war with Japan. Beyond that nobody knows!

Richard, if CKS claims the ROC had sovereignty from the 30s, why would he sign a peace treaty in 1952 where Japan renounce their claim? Surely that is an admission by the ROC that Japan had sovereignty up to that point?

Incidentally, why was Japan signing peace treaties so long after the end of the war? My history is kinda hazy …

Here is probably what you need.
http://www.taiwandocuments.org/

Richard, if you use the Japanese-names in English, they should follow Western style of naming, in other words Kenji Watanabe, and NOT Watanabe Kenji, Watanabe being the family (last) name. That’s how most English newspapers write the J-names, following Western style. But it’s true, they write their own names in Japanese in the Chinese style of Family Name first and then common name. Unless Hartzell Richard is confusing, follow the Richard Hartzell style. Do you agree?

Never lived in Japan but got some good friends there via Internet and they all follow the Western naming style.

I am very much opposed to people reversing the order of names. All too often it only results in more confusion. :? :cry:

Too late… already confused…

As opposed to the standard Japanese arrangement where the last name is first.

Are you advocating that I put the first name last?

Perhaps it depends on who will be consuming your report, Richard. All Japanese refer to names of people “sir name-given name.” But if your readers are apt to be Westerners, the more comfortable and familiar “given name-sir name” may be appropriate.
The Japanese baseball great Sadaharu Oh (to us) is Oh Sadaharu in Japan. Take your pick.