Japanese drama on NHK

NHK is currently showing a five-part
drama about two sisters, Haru and Natsu, who meet each again in Japan
after being separated in 1934 when their family emigrated from Hokkaido
to Brazil. You can watch it here on NHK in Taiwan. Details below.

The story: Haru’s younger sister Natsu was left behind at the Kobe
emigration center in 1934 because she had an eye disease, and the
government doctors would not let her board the ship taking the family
to Brazil. In the tear-jerker of a drama, complete with violin music and great photography, Haru
comes back to Japan 70 years later to try to find her sister, who she
believes was abandoned by the family. No way, Jose! Actually, Natsu has become a
very wealthy corporate businesswoman in Japan, and at first, for some
strange reason, she rejects Haru. But as the drama continues, the
sisters find out the truth about their long separation and all ends
… happily.

It’s a very interesting story about the emigation of
Japanese people to Brazil in those days.

The show has already been aired in its entirety, all 5 parts, but the first
installment repeats again on October 8, beginning at 9:10 Taiwan time,
with episode 2 airing on October 15, episode 3 on October 22, episode
4 on October 29 and episode 5 on November 5.

It’s in Japanese for now. But you can understand it via body language and scenery. Really. And it will soon be dubbed into English and Portuguese and Chinese for viewers in Taiwan. In fact, I am sure this will become a big hit among older Taiwanese who still live in their Japanese-era memories…

Um, not likely. NHK has never dubbed their dramas, nor released them on home video (officially) with English subtitles.

I doubt you’ll see it dubbed into any other languages. NHK doesn’t do that. Why? Not sure. Almost all of the Japanese dramas that get the dub-over in Taiwan (and Hong KOng) are from Fujisankei, TV Tokyo, and NTV. Never NHK.

Um, not likely. NHK has never dubbed their dramas, nor released them on home video (officially) with English subtitles.

I doubt you’ll see it dubbed into any other languages. NHK doesn’t do that. Why? Not sure. Almost all of the Japanese dramas that get the dub-over In Taiwan (and Hong Kong) are from Fujisankei, TV Tokyo, and NTV. Never NHK.[/quote]

Ric,
Trust me. Stay tuned. This is OSHIN all over again. Did you see any of it?

[quote=“Cola”]
Ric,
Trust me. Stay tuned. This is OSHIN all over again. Did you see any of it?[/quote]

No offense, Cola, but NHK history versus your assertion over a really good drama (I admit) that is virtually unmarketable (what international appeal does it have? High quality, but again, see my facts about NHK distribution) tends to get my bet…

If this was gambling.

I am gonna have to go along with Ric on this one. After living in Japan for 14 years I have found that NHK does little English translation on their own. NHK is a public-funded network which is basically forced upon an person living in Japan that has a TV. Yes, have a TV and you get to help support NHK whether you watch it or not.

True, they do provide a daily bilingual news service, but have not seen any dramas.

I too think that NHK and most Japanese dramas can be VERY one sided–or rather Japanese positive and everything else negative. This is STILL the case with Japanese textbooks for junior/senior high schools that don’t mention anything about any Japanese agression during the war.

There was one episode I saw about a week ago and it just wasn’t that great. Haven’t watched it since.

I mighta been wrong…