Japanese encephalitis vaccine

I’m thinking of getting the Japanese encephalitis vaccine for my 2.5 yr-old and myself.

Has anyone taken your child and/or yourself to get immunized yet? If so, can you provide information on the doctor/hospital/clinic you went to?

Many thanks!

Why would you need that? Are you planning to go into the deep country side with your little one?

As far as I know, one shouldn’t get this vaccine if it is not 100% necessary. At least were I am coming from, I was told that the side effects, if allergic, can be severe and was advised against it.

You do need it to get your kiddie into local elementary school. Unless you live near pigs, swamps and mosquitos you shouldn’t worry about it until you need to.

The UK Department of Health recommends Japanese B Encephalitis immunisation for travel to Taiwan. I’ve kept mine updated. No side effects. Not sure where you can get the jab here but if it’s a requirement for school-age kids then it must be very easy to get.

Back in the States, the CDC, my county public health travel clinic, and son’s pediatrician all recommended the vaccine too.

Yes, there is a chance of adverse and allergic reaction. Therefore, it’s advised to remain in areas with access to medical care for 10 days after each injection.

Well, we don’t have plans to visit rural areas with swine, flood irrigation, etc. However, given the facts that Taiwan is a risk region, that there’s always the chance of running into rural areas (planned or unplanned), and that we do want to travel around East/Southeast Asia, I think the shot would be worthwhile to get.

I suppose the alternative is to diligently carry and use DEET insect repellent. At least it’s a seasonal risk (April-October) and I’ll feel more at ease thereafter.

I’m looking at my “Travel Record Card”. The initial immunisation consisted of two jabs a week apart. The note then says “rec 1 year booster”. I had a booster jab a year and 3 months later, and the note with that says that I’m covered for 3 years from then.

I’m not sure whether the immunisations given here are the same, or whether they can do it in one shot.

Maybe a kids’ doctor would be most likely to have this immunisation in stock. (Don’t worry: they’re allowed to treat you too.) Can you get local friends to recommend one? Or just keep a look out – the kids’ doctors’ signs have the character er2兒 then something – maybe it’s er2ke1 兒科 (paediatrics/paediatrician).

Well, not in my country. It’s recommended by some doctors, but other disagree, but somehow if you are blond and blue eyed, they would not want to give you the shot … :unamused:

You can get most vaccines at the major hospitals, got mine at TaiAn (Adventist). Not JE though, I don’t want it anymore.
Just see the family doctor there and they should be able to help.

(Got my first JE shots in Germany and had to sign a waiver that I don’t sue them if anything goes wrong but no such thing for the boosters I got in Malaysia.)

Thanks for your feedback, everyone. I think what I need to do is talk to a local pediatrician to see how it’s administered here and get further detailed info on the possible side effects. Thanks again!

Common sense says get the shot, there is no cure for this nasty disease. I too want to get it. I think we alll live near mosquitos no?

I have a relative here in Taiwan who was bitten by a mosquito in his (very nice) garden on lower Yamingshan (near Tienmu) two years ago, contracted Japanese encephalitis and is now in a wheelchair unable to talk or move. The chances of contracting the virus are very low, but considering this gentleman was a very successful businessman just enjoying a cup of tea in his garden, and is now suffering a life in a useless body, I wouldn’t rule out getting the vaccination.

My young son had the vaccination last week, and the doctor told me this vaccination has one of the lowest risks of reaction. The information I was given states the chances of a strong reaction are 1,000,000 to 1, the chance of death 10,000,000 to 1. Also, in Taiwan, children under nine years are most succeptible to the virus. Death rate of those contracting the virus is 1-3 in 10, 2-3 in 10 are disabled mentally and physically by it.

Vaccinations are given from March through to May each year. There are two, given two weeks apart. The vaccination is covered by national health insurance, the visit etc total was TWD270. My son gets his shots at the hospital he was born in. You can also go to a clinic. The disadvantage of going to a hospital is you usually have a long wait. The advantage for me is all services are there in one place.

Hope that helps.