Japanese Festival (Matsuri), is there even any in Taiwan?

Considering how the general Taiwanese enjoy Japanese culture, I was wondering if there’s ever any Japanese festival (matsuri) happening in Taiwan? Back in my hometown the Japanese-Indonesians would have 2 big festivals twice a year and they are quite a sight to behold. I’m looking for a chance to wear my kimono in the proper event… :smiley:

nope, KMT made sure there won’t be any.

Aww, sad to hear that. Oh well I’m pretty sure I can wear kimono in other touristy places.

you can wear your kimono, that’s totally cool, and people would be very interested, most people will think you are doing some sort of cos-play.

but unless you are at an cos-play event, not a lot of other people would be wearing a kimono.

people rarely wear traditional clothing in Taiwan, well, at least the Holo and Hakka rarely do, it’s a shame… The aboriginals do wear traditional clothing more often these days, but mostly for a ceremony.

You could contact the Taipei Japanese school in Tianmu. I’m pretty sure there are a couple of festivals celebrated here but maybe only among Japanese expats.

[quote=“hansioux”]
you can wear your kimono, that’s totally cool, and people would be very interested, most people will think you are doing some sort of cos-play.

but unless you are at an cos-play event, not a lot of other people would be wearing a kimono.

people rarely wear traditional clothing in Taiwan, well, at least the Holo and Hakka rarely do, it’s a shame… The aboriginals do wear traditional clothing more often these days, but mostly for a ceremony.[/quote]

I do plan to wear them in tourist-y places, something like in Yangmingshan or the park at the National Palace Museum. The reason is because I’ll be participating in a “travelling” kimono event where people wear a kimono & take pictures with landmarks where they live.

I don’t mind being awkward in public by being the only person around wearing kimono, I’m used to that when I used to wear kimono in my hometown. I don’t wear it as a costume but I expect people to think I’m doing it as a cosplay. As long as nobody gives negative remarks, I can stand it. I think the Taiwanese are polite & tend to mind their own business so I’m sure I wouldn’t get any nasty remarks from others. But since you mention cosplay, I recently saw a Taiwanese guy wearing SS military uniform in my neighborhood (Sanxia, which is a small town so I was surprised to see a costumed guy in there) and there was no cosplay event around. I wonder what was up with that…haha.

The likelihood of Taiwanese giving you negative remarks because of kimono is close to 0. The likelihood of some Chinese a-hole tourist giving you negative remarks is much greater. So if you do goto Chinese tourist central such as NPM, don’t mind them if they do say something.

Taiwanese with SS uniform or nazi flag on shirt/cars is a damn shame…

Yeah, other Taiwanese have told me about what I should expect from Chinese tourists as well. It’s not like I would be able to understand what they’re talking about anyway in case they insult me, haha.

If I ran into the Nazi uniform guy, I’d give him a piece of my Jewish mind. I used to just shrug these things off as people being ingorant of world history, but that’s really no excuse. Kimonos are a whole different world from that, though, so don’t worry. Just worry about the heat and getting it all sweaty.

it’s likely she has an yukata, then she should be fine.