Japanese Izakayas in Taiwan

Jesus, the Indian Beer House…terrible beer and more vomit than Hal’s Vomitarium on a Saturday night…I did like the frog though.

Yeah, it was pretty raw, man.
Their beer lines were clear plastic tubing running up and down the walls and you could see how frigging filthy they were.

I’m actually quite interested in this subject. I always thought that before bar and grill-esque establishments or maybe before Carnegie’s (BC?), it was all re chao.

Interesting to hear that there was the beer house culture.

Re chao operated at the same “era” with the beer houses or did re chao stem from them?

It’s gone. In Living Mall now 11th floor or somewhere on top.

Roughly the same time, IIRC.
There was a huge boom in them when there were all these rogue spots opening up on what were basically vacant lots around Xinyii SE (before City Hall/WTC/Land of a 1000 Mitsukoshis and, of course, 101 happened). The parking lot of the DMV on Bade had one that opened up after the offices shut down. The corner of Xinyi/Chuangching where WTC is now, had 2 or 3 of them.
These were all sundown joints that pretty much didn’t exist during the day, long tables with tent awnings overhead.
For a while, when the beer import rules relaxed (when Clinton opened up trade if they started paying attention to international IP laws and all the KTVs, MTVs, and video stores shut down because all their stock was illegal), there were craploads of crazy brands of beer flooding the market, and these places would buy a pallet load and stick out signs lowballling like 750ml bottles/cans for like NT$10 against the guy across the road.

Red Ant!

King Kon (not Kong) from NZ!!

Have you seen Hal recently? How’s he doing??

He finally had the op. Goes by Brenda now.

1 Like

Bless her wee cotton socks

1 Like

I checked some of the places found with that search of “居酒屋”. It’s like a catch all term for all kinds of places, not only izakaya. So it will find them but also throw in other places.

1 Like

Oh yeah, the frog, I forgot about that.
It was awesome.