Jarhead

[quote=“jdsmith”]
We train day after day: how to fight, how to shoot, how to surround, how to engage, how to divide, how to conquer.

We trained to kill.

Period.[/quote]

But you were still “legs”…

:roflmao:

[color=red]
Airborne!
[/color]

[quote=“Comrade Stalin”][quote=“jdsmith”]
We train day after day: how to fight, how to shoot, how to surround, how to engage, how to divide, how to conquer.

We trained to kill.

Period.[/quote]

But you were still “legs”…

:roflmao:

[color=red]
Airborne!
[/color][/quote]

See? There are always crazy guys that the crazy guys think are crazy.

Why would jump out of a perfectly good aircarft?

[quote=“jdsmith”]
Why would jump out of a perfectly good aircarft?[/quote]

How else would you get out? :ponder:

:laughing:

BTW, in my battalion, CSM Offer had a 2 foot piece of painted plywood nailed across the doorway of his office. To enter, you had to jump over it and come in “airborne”…he [i]hated[/i] “legs”… :laughing:

BTW, in my battalion, CSM Offer had a 2 foot piece of painted plywood nailed across the doorway of his office. To enter, you had to jump over it and come in “airborne”…he [i]hated[/i] “legs”… :laughing:[/quote]

Umm, wait until the damn thing landed. But what do I know, I never did Basic camp :laughing:

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“Comrade Stalin”][quote=“jdsmith”]

BTW, in my battalion, CSM Offer had a 2 foot piece of painted plywood nailed across the doorway of his office. To enter, you had to jump over it and come in “airborne”…he [i]hated[/i] “legs”… :laughing:[/quote]

Umm, wait until the damn thing landed. But what do I know, I never did Basic camp :laughing:[/quote]

There is no basic camp. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

[quote=“jdsmith”]
See? There are always crazy guys that the crazy guys think are crazy.[/quote]

Scary? I went through jump school with a platoon of Force Recon…now [i]those[/i] f*ckers are s-c-a-r-y! :astonished:

See? There are always crazy guys that the crazy guys think are crazy.[/quote]

Scary? I went through jump school with a platoon of Force Recon…now [i]those[/i] f*ckers are s-c-a-r-y! :astonished:[/quote]

Knowledge to any moron is frightening.

But it never stopped a recruiter!

R. Lee Ermey is the host of a series named “Mail Call” on “The History Channel”

[quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“Comrade Stalin”][quote=“jdsmith”]

Umm, wait until the damn thing landed. But what do I know, I never did Basic camp :laughing:[/quote]

There is no basic camp. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr[/quote]

See what I mean… :laughing:

To be honest when I was reg. Army they seem to give us ribbons for everything, some warranted others a bit silly. I heard Air Force is worse but Marines they make you work for everyone of them. Any of you prior-Army go through PLDC? 70% of the class washed out … I just got through it and felt that ribbon was justifed. Also heard PLDC courses depending where and when they are can make a huge difference.

Halfway through the book. Snipers train really really hard. :astonished:

I saw it yesterday. Came home and reviewed the book again.

I have mixed opinions about this movie. The cinemetography was great, most of the dialogue well delivered, and some scenes set up as deftly as in a music video.

I think that the music video compression angle was a little too much, almost like paying homage to past homages.

I also found some of the movement of the troops (in action scenes) to be a little dubious. A lot of grouping together, poor flankage, and in essence it seemed too much of the original story was traded for one of the books sub-themes: that All wars are the Same, in The End.

That said, my opinion is biased because I read the book first. A lot of the themes of the book were mispresented (music video) or distorted (the death and role of) the character Troy. Other fine parts of the book were well amplified: the masturbation jokes, the communual Male Rush of watching Old War Movies, and the ribbing and fisticuffs that occur on a regular basis in a small-sized Unit. The chemical warfare suit football game, and the field fugg were both classics.

It will be interesting to watch this film again, and to see how it grows in stature over the years.

My fav. quote, or my close rendition thereof:
Drill Sgt. & Swofford talking about the latter’s Pater’s Vietnam experience:

Sgt: “Did he talk about it alot?”
Marine: “No, Drill Sgt., only once!”
Sgt: “Well, then he wasn’t lying”…

Sgt: “Why the Fugg Are you Here!”
Marine: "I got lost on the way to College, Drill Sgt!
SMASH

Now I can’t wait to see it again :slight_smile:, but on disc at home, where I can choose scene by scene. UuuuuRaaaahhhh!

While not an instant classic in the vein of “Saving Private Ryan”, “Cross of Iron”, or “Stalingrad”, it will no doubt cast a echo over the years.

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]
I think that the music video compression angle was a little too much, almost like paying homage to past homages.[/quote] Hate to say it “I TOLD YOU SOOOO”:raspberry: :laughing:

[quote]Sgt: “Why the Fugg Are you Here!”
Marine: "I got lost on the way to College, Drill Sgt!
SMASH[/quote]Best line of the movie!!! :bravo:

Was there a pathetic fat guy being abused by the loud sargeant in the movie? There’s always one with this genre.

I saw it yesterday and wasn’t impressed, the story ain’t going anywhere and that’s perhaps because it’s based on a true story which, well, didn’t go anywhere.

Yeah but that’s the beauty of it, you’re waiting for a war that never really happens to you.

HG

[quote=“rosebud”]Was there a pathetic fat guy being abused by the loud sargeant in the movie? There’s always one with this genre.[/quote].

no. but every thread’s gotta have a mule like your post.

Hee-haw!

[quote]no. but every thread’s gotta have a mule like your post.

Hee-haw![/quote]

He-haw. At least mules don’t sleep with their sisters.

[quote=“rosebud”][quote]no. but every thread’s gotta have a mule like your post.

Hee-haw![/quote]

He-haw. At least mules don’t sleep with their sisters.[/quote]
Caint. Mules don’t got no equipment.

The scarey part about that role in Full Metal Jacket is the fact that the USMC is chalked full of unhinged men who didn’t shoot their Drill Sergeant but would have liked to.