Jazz Standards

“Misty” composed by Errol Garner as a purely musical number. John Mathis and others put words to it and it became a hit. But in my opinion Ella Fitzgerald does it better (and in a way that swings that I like), and so does Sarah Vaughan. Even with a cold, Sarah Vaughan can sing.

Keith Jarrett Trio, God Bless the Child. Listen to the spaces Jack leaves in his drumming, so loose and so melodic. What these three achieve as a trio will never be repeated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n31jaGy7hmk

Just listened to part of it so far. My ear keeps going to the bass. Very nice. Keith Jarret is as goofy as Thelonius Monk. Never saw any of his stuff live.

Sarah Vaughan might be my favorite female jazz vocalist of all time. Ella is great and all, but there’s something about Sarah…

1 Like

Not sure if he’s jazz or protojazz, but I remember listening to him and thinking that I didn’t like it much. Perhaps too melodic, not abstract or violent enough. Maybe it’s time to listen to him again.

There’s a standard that is not the most typical but you can still hear it sometimes. I’m going to post a performance of a weird Avant Garde band that I used to like quite a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVCTeCRu7Bg

Quality sucks a bit though.

1 Like

When I think of a jazz standard, I think of older stuff. But I’m not sure why that would have to be the case. I think many have covered Jaco’s The Chicken, so maybe it could be considered a standard. Anyway, nice sound.

I’d say it’s a standard. As you said, many people know and play it, and probably it made it to the jazz standards book (don’t remember the name). And Jaco is like a deity for bass players… so I guess we can call it standard :slight_smile:

1 Like

John Coltrane, Stan Getz, and Oscar Peterson covering Thelonius Monk’s Hackensack.

A few things come to mind with this tune. First of all, I don’t think you can compare Coltrane and Getz- apples and oranges. And I don’t think one was in any way trying to copy the other one’s style. And don’t forget this:
“We’d all sound like that if we could.” - John Coltrane on Stan Getz

Secondly, Oscar Peterson is just a badass. Some of the comments discuss this supposed battle of the sax players and conclude that the pianist came out one top. I can understand why there are such comments.

Lastly, this was a time of some significant racism in the US. I can imagine how this blew people’s minds to see people like Coltrane and Oscar Peterson because their genius is undeniable. If you know anything about jazz and if you know anything about improvisation, the high intelligence of folks like Coltrane and Oscar is simply undeniable. It must have been a Hitler viewing Jesse Owens during the 1936 Olympics type of moment for some people at this time. I love it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beCGdmrP8Xc

1 Like

Oscar Peterson u fuckin’ awesome. A keyboard player I know had an argument with me because according to him it was just a big bunch of notes, just speed. But that’s not true at all. He plays fast (sometimes really fast) but the moods are there, the feelings are there.

One of the absurd books that I bought back in the day was about John Coltrane and the black movement. Maybe I’m wrong, but Coltrane stayed out of politics… mostly. Yeah, he came up with Alabama, but AFAIK he didn’t really do politics. But these guys mesmerized the intellectuals and the snobs. Not sure how this was seen in the eyes of the racist, probably jazz wasn’t their music anyway. And Coltrane was not for everyone, not even for the jazz enthusiastic. Listen to the latter Coltrane and you will understand why :smiley:

Did Hitler ever said that blacks were inferior in terms of muscle? was Hitler actually racist against black people?

Yes, Oscar Peterson was definitely not just about speed and a barrage of notes. As far as Coltrane, my point is about all the guys at the time and earlier. So pick your guy, like Louis Armstrong. He had that whole silly guy thing going on (and I don’t feel it was an act- I think he was actually a bit of a nerd), but when he put his horn to his lips, it was all business. Again, undeniable genius.

Regarding Hitler, I’m no historian and I’m too lazy to look it up. But my understanding is that he thought it would be a German sweep of the metals and he stormed out of the stadium when Jesse Owens won the 100m race. Anyway, you get my point, right (with respect to the black jazz musicians, that is)?

Yeah, I guess I get it. They have some brain. Actually what Coltrane did was not only fingers but also mental gymnastics, or people who understand music say so. That reminds me that I have to re watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J98jwtm5U4E

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhSBK8VaLss

1 Like

Jazz standards as part of show on ICRT now.

Any live Jazz bars/performances in Taipei/Northern Taiwan? Damm, I would even go to Hualien just to hear some nice jazz/blues.

There are some in Taipei. There used to be jam sessions and jazz concerts in Sappho, and there’s another place with open mic nights (Bob Bamdebasoiuhsdfj).

TBH, not the level I was used to, but still enjoyable. Still not the same for some reason :frowning:

1 Like

Nice version. Makes me think of this.

Forgot all about that. Now when we’re in the car on Sunday night, we choose songs from YouTube. Maybe it’s time to get back to basics.

I watched Marcus Miller, Victor Wooten and Stanley Clark (all together) years ago. I felt bad for M.M., he didn’t get as much attention as the other too, who are superb players and have a very explosive style, but… it’s not all about fireworks and shit.

I went with two or three different groups of people to the concert. One friend claimed Victor Wooten was the best player ever, while the other one said the same about Marcus Miller. Things got really awkward… really xD

A very stupid band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM4W3qaNfng

I like both genres, but I don’t like that even if I try.

Le’t not forget these two are still improving and evolving. And they have two very different styles. I can see how people could disagree on bass god status!