Jeremy Lin Answers Cultural Appropriation Question, Thug Life

患得患失, suffering from gains and losses

3 Likes

heres another cultural appropriation thing… the company is indonesian owned, so they cant use the word ‘trap’ but she had no problem to them appropriating taiwanese culture and selling bubble tea, all asians are the same huh?

honestly i don’t know how this became a thing, cultural appreciation is a good thing. people just jumping on the bandwagon to make a buck is lame, but it is what it is, nothing to do with culture.

What does “trap” mean in this context? I googled it but all I can find is trap music (whatever that is). Does it come from the music?

1 Like

Black Americans had their culture erased; I guess that’s why they feel some type of way about others “appropriating their culture”. Even when it’s not really something they came up with like dreads.

Accusing others of cultural appropriation has always been a thing. Ask a korean person and he will say the Japanese stole all these ideas from from; same the other way around. Europeans all accuse others Europeans of it as well. At the end, the spread of culture is generally a good thing. Although some cultures aren’t very good imo and aren’t compatible with others.

2 Likes

It’s just dumb. 20 years ago you were APPRECIATING a culture and helping spread awareness of it. Now it’s appropriation and it’s suddenly a bad thing. :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

“The name appears to be inspired by the slang term “trap house” which is a term referring to drug dens.”

Probably they should be getting shit for it, what goes around comes around I guess.

Things are not going well if this is what you’re accusing others from stealing from your culture.

3 Likes

I think he’s boxed him out with that “It’s about respect, bru,” remark.

I’d have added, “And I can cut my hair anytime I want. Tattoo removal is slow and painful.”

But JLin keeps it kind.

World has gone bananas.
I mean tomatoes.

…Shucks …lemons!

Some fruit like object that nobody has a claim to.

1 Like

1 Like

Yes I’m confused. I guess it’s a round kumquat :grin:

Jeremy Lin gets picked on because he’s a nice guy. Those perceived as weak get targeted.

1 Like

That was 3 years ago. The Taiwanese-American Christian is playing in atheist China. With a culturally neutral haircut.

https://sports.yahoo.com/beaten-battered-jeremy-lin-demands-084022752.html

Edit: Just glanced at the other thread. He’s acquired a Taiwanese passport so he’s Taiwanese-American-Taiwanese.

1 Like

What are the bad ones!!! I need to know!

I would say ones that do female genital mutilation or human sacrifices aren’t cultures you want.

3 Likes

Is human sacrifice still a thing?!?!

FGM is definitely a disaster, but fortunately in some places it’s disappearing through education. In a few though, it’s not. And I wouldn’t write off those entire cultures just because they have one barbaric practice.

I highly recommend “Call Me American,” great book by a Somali immigrant to the US. His little sister had FGM done to her. Still a lot of goodness in Somali culture even with the problems.

You asked what cultures are bad, I gave you some general examples of things I don’t want. If we had to go with right now, I would say communist party culture in China right now. That abomination of erasing chinese culture during the cultural revolution is not something we want in Taiwan. So yes, some cultures are bad. I know it’s not the liberal thing to say, but I’m guessing you aren’t in a hurry to go live in some of these places. It’s the reality.

2 Likes

If anyone isn’t cool with JLin’s hair but is a black person with dyed blonde hair, you need a good beating for your hypocrisy.

Male genital mutilation should be added to the list as well. Fuck all the cultures and people who think that shit’s ok to force on people.

1 Like

Not sure why you’re bringing up a story that happened almost three years ago and has long been squashed. Better yet let’s give kudos to Jeremy for finally obtaining his Taiwanese passport. From yahoo, “Reports in Taiwan speculated that he wanted a Taiwanese passport to avoid the Chinese Basketball Association’s quotas on overseas players, as Taiwanese are not considered foreigners.” I guess one can call that financial appropriation.

1 Like